Help Setting up HT bicycle engine

GoldenMotor.com

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
Re: Help Setting up HT Motor

Too true. The bottom of the fuel tank needs to be above the carburetor float chamber. A carburetor will not suck fuel uphill, they are gravity fed only.

You have built a very nice MB Missmichelleb! You are also a step ahead of most newbies in the fact that you are aware of loosing hardware and you have the aptitude to check all of them on a regular basis. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or so the saying goes..... :)
GearNut - Thank you, safety is my over all goal. From looking at my pictures can you tell if the bottom of my fuel tank is high enough? And/or do you have suggestions on how to adjust the gas tank to prevent fuel problems?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

The second picture looks like the gas tank is not high enough, and the fuel line routing rises up to about half way in relation the fuel tank. That point is where the fuel level in the tank will stop running down hill through the fuel line and your engine will run out of gas.
If you can raise the seat post mounted rack up higher on the seat post that will help. Otherwise you will need to use some sort of spacer between the rack and tank bottom to raise it up on the rack. If you go the latter way, you will also need to improvise a extended strap mount to acomodate the additional height of the spacer. I recommend a 1" x 1" piece of wood as a spacer and plumber's tape for an extended mounting strap.
Just be sure that a 1" x 1" spacer will be enough to raise the tank sufficently. You may need a taller spacer. You obvoiusly have mechanical talent. Afterall, you assembled an MB and did a darn good job at it. I am sure you can come up with something that will work out fine. Do not hesitate to ask more questions if you get stumped though.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan

Thank you! That is great advise and i am trying to make a point to check all bolts before i start riding. Thats how i noticed a few bolts were lose this morning. But i didnt check the mounting bolts, i will add that to my mental check list.

So your saying when my engine is broken in the vibration will be less?
please pat special att. to the fender mounts. Those fenders will mess you up,trust me,lol

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

Hey All,

I made some changes on my bike and it is running much better. I moved the gas tank to the front of the bike and even though the bottom of the tank is below the carberator i am not having any more fuel flow problems and the bike is handleing hills alot better.

I decided to remove the front fender, it was starting to vibrate something fierce and was hitting the front tire... so its gone now.

i upgraded my seat to a full suspention gel seat, much more comfortable.

I posted some pics. Let me know what you think of my new changes :)

Have a good one.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Hey, I like it! I didn't think that tank would look that good up front, but it does. Good idea on removing the front fender, now you don't have to worry about it. Are you havin' fun? I just went for a bike ride a little while ago. As I pulled up to a stop and got off I was thinking, "damn that was fun"! And it was. I'm in western Maryland for the next few months and appreciate every day I can squeeze in a ride up here in the mountains. Each time I think it may be the last for a good while, so it makes me pay closer attention and appreciate more the passing mountain scenery, the smoothness of the wheels and tires, the hum of the motor and power at the throttle, the fact that I'll be 65 years old soon and can still do this stuff. Every twelve year old ambition I ever had has been realized with my motorbicycles. Michelle, if you have half as much fun as I do, well I'd real glad for you.
SB

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

Hey, I like it! I didn't think that tank would look that good up front, but it does. Good idea on removing the front fender, now you don't have to worry about it. Are you havin' fun? I just went for a bike ride a little while ago. As I pulled up to a stop and got off I was thinking, "damn that was fun"! And it was. I'm in western Maryland for the next few months and appreciate every day I can squeeze in a ride up here in the mountains. Each time I think it may be the last for a good while, so it makes me pay closer attention and appreciate more the passing mountain scenery, the smoothness of the wheels and tires, the hum of the motor and power at the throttle, the fact that I'll be 65 years old soon and can still do this stuff. Every twelve year old ambition I ever had has been realized with my motorbicycles. Michelle, if you have half as much fun as I do, well I'd real glad for you.
SB
Thanks! i didnt think the tank was going to look good up front either, but now i love it. Its easier to handle now too. I love riding it, it's a hoot! I use it as a daily commuter, i ride about 20 miles a day, its 9.3 miles each way, and i recently found a bike hwy that runs 6.1 miles of my trip, which is awesome because i feel much safer being on my own little road and barley anyone uses it, so i really get a chance to open up the bike. Its definatly a lot of fun and i'm saving a ton on gas.

I would love to ride in the mountains, i bet the scenery is amazing! I live here in San Diego, Ca. Well Escondido actually and i commute to Vista, so not too much scenery here, but they did do a very good job of decorating the bike hwy, with various plants and such. One think i love about using this bike as my main means of transportation is that is has forced me to move at a slower pace. I notice more about my surroundings and i am learning to enjoy the little things again and not always rushing to get to the next place i need to go.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

looks good. with the tank there, you shouldn't have any problems with fuel flow, unless you get way low, which wouldn't matter anyway, because you'd be outta gas.

just watch those bumps, you wouldn't want to slide off your seat and land on a smoking hot motor..;)

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

looks good. with the tank there, you shouldn't have any problems with fuel flow, unless you get way low, which wouldn't matter anyway, because you'd be outta gas.

just watch those bumps, you wouldn't want to slide off your seat and land on a smoking hot motor..;)
Hahah, i sit pretty far back on my seat... my ass is still soar from before i got the new seat and i was dealing with all kinds of vibrations. I love my new seat, like riding a cloud now... i do watch closely for pot holes and such.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan

well i am glad to see that you took the fender off, now no more worrys,lol. The bike looks alot better this way I think, good choice. Now I think I might have to make my daughter one. I've been telling her that you can't do it on a girls bike,lol. I have been thinking on getting a seat post after reading this post. Does it really make a big diff? Keep having fun riding.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

I am planning on getting a rear rack for the gas tank. I actually found silver bears pics when i did a google search and they made me realize i would need to a rear rack for the gas tank. I do really like the smaller cylinder shaped ones in the pictures.

What type of rack would you recomend getting, are there some types that are better then others if i want to use the teardrop shaped gas tank that comes with the kit i'm getting?

My kit hasnt arrived yet, i was expecting it either today or monday, so i guess its monday. I'm really glad to hear that Spooky Tooth has a good reputation.

Welcome to the fold Michelle :)
There are a number of tanks that can be installed behind and under the seat like one of those small bags that attach there. Other than that you shouldn't have any issues with mounting the motor but be careful when getting on the bike when the motor is hot as it only takes a brush against it to burn yourself. Hope this helps and we all look forward to seeing net result !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

Good advise on the Gel grips and seat cover, i will have to get them this weekend.

I am dissapointed that the expanding foam doesnt work very well, i was really hoping that would help alot with the vibration. Its crazy to me how much this thing vibrates, another thing i learned is i need to get some locking nuts because i'm losing nuts, i lost the one that goes under the seat three times, and i noticed this morning that one of the nuts that hold the front wheel on where shaking loose.

I welcome any more ideas anyone has to help with vibration.

I have attached some pictures for everyone to check out!!
Hey Michelle!
That is one truly awesome looking build ! You did darn good on that :)
One thing about vibrations with these China Girls is that I've found out that over time ( past break in period ) they tend to smooth out some and like others in this thread have stated the sprung seat and gel grips work wonders....it's just the nature of the beast for these things to vibrate. You'll adapt.

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

well i am glad to see that you took the fender off, now no more worrys,lol. The bike looks alot better this way I think, good choice. Now I think I might have to make my daughter one. I've been telling her that you can't do it on a girls bike,lol. I have been thinking on getting a seat post after reading this post. Does it really make a big diff? Keep having fun riding.
You should build your daughter one. Let it be known engines are not just for mens bikes anymore. woohoo! haha :)

I didnt get a new seat post, just a new seat. It just a really nice seat, that has some sort of suspension built into it. It does make the world of difference. I ride about 20 miles a day so a nice seat was a must.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

I was noticing how much higher in the frame Michelle's motor is. Look at the two pictures below. Mine is a 63 Schwinn and you actually can still step through the frame. It is also far enough down that there is no more danger of getting burned than on a man's bike. The old Schwinns and some of the older step through bikes of other makes had a lower curved cross tube. Salty, if you do make a motorbicycle for your daughter it is something to consider in choosing the bike for a motor. It seems like all of the newer step through models have bigger tubes higher up. Just a thought. I still like the looks of Michelle's bike, but the higher engine mounting kind of negates the advantage of being able to step through.
SB

Attachments

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

I was noticing how much higher in the frame Michelle's motor is. Look at the two pictures below. Mine is a 63 Schwinn and you actually can still step through the frame. It is also far enough down that there is no more danger of getting burned than on a man's bike. The old Schwinns and some of the older step through bikes of other makes had a lower curved cross tube. Salty, if you do make a motorbicycle for your daughter it is something to consider in choosing the bike for a motor. It seems like all of the newer step through models have bigger tubes higher up. Just a thought. I still like the looks of Michelle's bike, but the higher engine mounting kind of negates the advantage of being able to step through.
SB

Hey Silver,
It's actually Rkorson that is going to have to build one for his daughter :) but I do concur on finding the right girls frame for one....try and keep the motor low.....

Laters,
Salty.shft.