2 sprockets on one wheel?

GoldenMotor.com

soccerrj88

Sep 30, 2009
Florida
Has any one done this? I have the stock 44t sprocket on the left side of the wheel with the normal sandwich together rubber packers, but i just bought a 36T sprocket and want to try that. But if I don't like it, or want to switch back and forth, I don't want to spend the hours of painstakingly getting all the bolts perfect each time.
I was thinking about just adding a packer between the 44t and add the 36t to the outside of the original. Of course take all the bolts out and realign them, but with two sprockets rather than two. Get what I'm sayin? It's hard to explain. I don't for see a problem with the room I have, and if I want to switch gears, I just move the chain over, and move the tensioner to another spot to take up the slack. Obviously not a moving shift...
Whats your thoughts? Possible?
dnut

soccerrj88

Sep 30, 2009
Florida
Well I thought of that also. Right at the moment the chain angles back towards the wheel, and so I figured if i moved it to the left for the other sprocket, it would just move the same amount away from the wheel. I would have to move the tensioner to adjust it.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I use my tensioner as a guide as well. Without it my chain would not stay on for 2 seconds which is why I say it would probably work.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I use my tensioner as a guide as well. Without it my chain would not stay on for 2 seconds which is why I say it would probably work.
You know,I have always used a chain tensionor and made sure the sprocket was inline with the engine,but never thought about it keeping it from coming off the sprocket....It makes sence even though my engine and sprocket are inline,its an extra garantee that the chain stays on....Post pics if you put the 36tooth and 44 sprockets on....I like this idea alot....
John-John

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
You wouldn't have to look too close to realise mine is the worst install you have yet to see which is probably the reason why the chain is the way it is lol...all stock so far.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
It may work if you use #41 chain, it's a little bit wider then the #415 and is a bit more forgiving to sprocket misalignment.

I'd cut the chain to fit the 36T then add a section to use the 44T. You may find you won't have to move the tensionor since it's an even amount of teeth.

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i was toying around with a similar idea, but with a custom made adapter, one ~50 tooth sprocket and one 32 tooth sprocket and a derailleur-type device to switch gears.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
What would really be slick is a split sprocket like racing go karts use. That'd be great with a hub adapter, swap sprockets without removing the wheel.