help cannot get my new kit to start

GoldenMotor.com

minimonk

May 25, 2008
I Have tried everything that i can think of to get this 80cc kit to fire. It seems I am getting 1 sprark from the plug for every 7or 8 compresion any boddy have any idea

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
sounds like a simple thing but have you tried to give it choke. i could not get mine started either after i first installed the bicycle motor but when i added choke it finnally fired up the first time

SmokingDog

May 21, 2008
MM

I had a hard time with mine so I removed the plug and checked it. It seemed dry, and only smelled faintly of gas. I resorted to an old RC trick of squirting about a 1/8 teaspoon of gas into the cylinder, reinstalled the plug and made sure the SP wire was connected correctly. After this I left the choke open (and air cleaner off) and rolled down the road. When I engaged the clutch I got a couple of sputters. This hinted at a fuel problem.

When I checked out the carb I found that the (throttle) piston wasn't moving as I moved the throttle. The little lead ball had come off the end of the cable! I guess I should have checked this before squirting the gas in, but I didn't think that could happen.

After replacing the ball the engine started... Actually, I have a small hill in front of my house and I used up about a 100 feet of it (length, not elevation) to get the engine to kick over enough to run.

Good luck with yours.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Take off the kill switch they are junk and leak current to ground. If you have a headlight hooked up take it out of the loop till you get it running good. Tickle the carb put the choke on full as soon as it starts open it up 1/4, and as it gets warm open it up till full open. Have fun Dave

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
You need fuel, air ,and spark.
Remove the bottom of the carb.
Turn on your petcock, Does fuel runout of the carb.
Put the bottom of the carb back on.
Make sure you glue your carb to the intake manifold with rtv for a good seal.
Is your choke open. Do you know the "open" position of your choke lever, up or down.
Solder the blue wire from the engine to the blue wire from the cd. Do the same for the black wire from the engine to the black wire from the cd .
Do not use the white wire unless it is for for normans light setup.
No killswitch yet. Blue to black or ground for killswitch.
Is your sparkplug wire good. Is your sparkplug properly gapped .30, to .18 depending upon lighting needs. I use .28
Ready to start
Open the fuel cock.
Push the primer button on the left side of the carb about 30 times.
Move the choke lever up to close it.
Peddle about 15 MPH down hill if possible.
While peddling release the clutch. open the throttle.
Did it start.
Keep rpm low until the engine warms up slowly open the choke.
My first start of the day is so hard. It will stall me totally.
After that instant starts all day.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Spad, 30 times? You know if you just hold it for a couple of seconds, then fuel bowl will fill to over flowing.

I agree with the "get rid of or disconnect the kill switch". I have had three and all three were bad from the beginning. You can shut off the engine a couple of different ways, one is simply letting out the clutch with no throttle, the other is kill it with the choke, something I'm not a big fan of.

SmokingDog

May 21, 2008
Spad

WOW Dude.... That is the best "short course" in Happy Time starting I have ever read!!!