Neons!!!

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Ok, so, I got my bonus from work, and I got me a special treat. I've talked alot about installing neons, but when will I do it? ... NOW! LOL, Here we go! I have a rear seat post rack, battery charger, motorcycle battery, alligator clip to lighter socket adapter, 4 socket lighter extender with separate on off switches, and of course, the neons. :) I'll keep you posted on my progress. :)

Attachments

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Gotta like that! I wonder if 1 of those neons would run off of the current coming from the motor. I'll have to check that out, although I do have a nice little battery I used for charging my rc's at one time hmmmmm.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
unfortunatly not, the neons are 12v, and the white wire off of the engine is only 6v. That's why I had to use a motorcycle battery. I've boughten red neons today, longer tube. Installing now, and will post pics and vids soon. :)

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I have a much smaller battery that might work with this system. Don't mind letting you use it just to see if it would be viable or not.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Well, I'm loving the lights, and they were put to the test tonight. I rode in a crazy thunderstorm. lol. I sealed the lights with silicone, and I bought a poncho to wrap around the seat and rear rack to proof the battery and stuff till I build some kind of waterproof box with lid or something. Held up fine. I bought really good fenders today. Noticed that at high rpm, they vibrate significantly. When I come off of the throttle at high speed, you should hear those fenders! wow. They are expensive fenders, with extended mud flares. I'll have to figure out a way to stop the vibration of the fenders. ... Somehow...

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
I know this is a somewhat of an old post but it brought back the kid in me!! LOL.

Back when I was a Soph in HS (4 yrs ago or so)My mother decided to buy me my red chopper that Im slapping a motor on. Well, I was alot onto the car scene and had some Green LEDs, Blue neons and strobe lights.

I made them ALL work with just 2 9V rechargable batteries. Worked great and kept the lights on for 3 whole nights before having to recharge.

At this time ALL lights, except for the green LED's are gone. And the green LED's are currently on my black motorbike, running of a 9V batteries. The LED's are meant for cars.

Once my chopper is done, some nice RED neons are going on. everything running of the engine.

Nice job with the neons tho!

How often do you have to recharge the battery?

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Well, it's a motorcycle battery, and the amount of usage I used them, (quite a bit) I only had to charge once a week. Depending on usage, I had 4 tubes so if all were used, I'd have to recharge every 5 to 6 days. I removed the neon setup for now, I plan to get a chopper as well. Wanted to clean the bike up a bit, remove all of the complications. That is, until I get the chopper. ;)

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Man i know how it is to wait for the chopper. My bud is working on mine since he has a welder and i Dont :-(.

Imma go bother him tomorrow...i want my thing done! Im thinking just 2 neons under the rear frame. By where the wheel gets bolted on....Prolly gonna have to use LED tubes. Will be less draw on the engine battery....at least it has an "alternator" lol

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Ok lets head back to just the original headlight for a minute if we would please.

How much extra work would it be on the magneto? I've had people tell me that its okay because thats what the engine is built for, but others tell me that its best not to since the magneto does enough work running the engine.

Both sides sound pretty fair, but I'm not sure of either.

I've been wanting to connect my bullet light to the engine and rig an on off switch so that I could have it on ONLY when I need it on.

And also, would it be possible to run a tail light at the same time? Im not really worried about THAT...just mainly the headlight, I'd like to have the bullet light working without batteries. and where would the ground be wired to? directly to the bike? or is there a specific place on the engine?

Any suggestions would be great!!

P.S. the bullet light USED to be one of the generator style lights, so I converted it to battery powered, easy, but it doesnt eat the batteries...it CHUGS them.

Again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated it!! THANKS!