Notice! Mini V-TWIN Engines Board Track Racer Tributes

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Hey everyone it seems that many of us are interested in a Board Track Racer Tribute, and we want the Mini V-Twin Engine mounted in a Classic American Made Bicycle.

Most of us in the Board Track Racer & Vintage Style Road Cruiser genre, prefer our builds to be built using The Modified Worksman INB Industrial News Boy Cruiser for the Board Track Racer Tribute, and The Modified Worksman Industrial M2600 Cruiser for our Vintage Style Road Cruiser Tribute, with these frames being modified with a Drop Loop Down Tube.

Just like the original Cyclones, Excelsior-Hendersons, Harley-Davidsons, Indians, Pope's, and many other Pre & Post World War I Board Track Racer's & Vintage Style Road Motorbikes.

There were two popular types of frames used in those early years by the most prominent builders one is the Drop Loop style and the other, 2 Keystone/Marion.

The 1919 Indian racer that appeared at the Marion, Indiana Labor Day race featured a "keystone" style frame; henceforth, Indian's version of this style of chassis was known as a "Marion frame."

The keystone style frame was actually a modified Drop Loop frame with the bottom of the loop cut away. This allowed the engine, supported by plates, to act as a structural member of the chassis.

Just like the original Cyclones, Excelsior-Hendersons, Harley-Davidsons, Indians, Pope's, and many other Pre & Post World War I Board Track Racer's & Vintage Style Road Motorbikes.

Now we know that Rick Gilmore offers these Modified Worksman Drop Loop Style Bikes and it appears that Sportscarpat may very well be offering these Modified Worksman Drop Loop Style bikes in the near future!

Now the reason for this Thread is that many of us want a Mini V-Twin Engine for our Tribute builds.

Currently the only company offering a Mini V-Twin for Tribute Board Track Racer's & Tribute Road Style Cruiser Motor Bikes is none other than Home - Acme Motor Bikes

There is one other forum member Rick Gilmore aka cinelliphyle, who offers a V-Twin it's a non-functional Mini V-Twin which could be setup with Electric Powered Hubs / Wheels.

I myself have searched the internet and found many builders out there who have posted functional mini V-Twin's Video's.

There are Harley style mini functional Panheads, Knuckleheads, flatheads, and many other's.

So if you've found one of these videos please post a Link, the more we share these video's the more likely we will be able to convince those builders to offer their Mini V-Twin Engines for sale.

If we show that there is a demand we most likely can convince those Mini V-Twin Engine builders
that it may be something to consider.

Question: Other than Acme Motor Bikes & Rick Gilmore ( aka cinelliphyle ), do you know of others who offer the Functional Mini V-Twin Engines?

Please post their information here: Who they are, Where they are, What style or type of Mini V-Twin they build or have built, and any pictures or video Links to there Functional Mini V-Twins that you have found.

I'll post the first Video Link it's Acme Motor Bikes Mini V-Twin video on YouTube, here's the Link:
YouTube - Acme Labs V Twin

Here's a few more video's of functional mini v-twin engines:
YouTube - Mini V-twin engine-1st run

This one is the Harley Panhead it's a functional Mini V-Twin:
YouTube - 1/3 scale Harley

Here's another Looks like 1914 Harley V-Twin:
YouTube - vtwin again

Another V-Twin:
YouTube - Early Run of My V-Twin model Engine by Terry Mayhugh

YouTube - Vintage V-Twin

C'mon let's find more builders of Mini V-Twin Engines for our Vintage Style Motor Bicycles.

Start posting more information if you can, I'd very much appreciate your Participation or Leads regarding Mini V-Twin Engines who builds and sell's them.

Thanks to our Administrator ( Paul ), our Moderators, our Forum Members, our Forum Sponsors & our Builders of Tribute Board Track Racers & Vintage Style Road Cruisers, who are they:

Acme Motor Bikes,

Cinelliphyle aka Rick Gilmore,

SportscarPat of Sportsman Flyers and his Tribute Board Track Racer Kits,

and many others who help make this forum what it is, one of if not The Greatest Motorized Bicycling Forum, dedicated to the Motorized Bicycling Community!

Peace Crazy Horse!

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
unfortunately we've fallen so far behind on our work and been so busy we haven't had time to move forward on the V twin. were hoping to restart the project soon, sorry but we have no set date as of now as to when it will be ready.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Guy's, let's not forget that there were single cylinder board track racers as well. I think these were the 500cc class. You can still build a pretty accurate looking boardie with a single cylinder engine. A twin would be very cool, but in the mean time keep building whatever is currently available and ride them as much as you can.

char56

May 3, 2010
England
Awesome thread.I hope that this will show people who can make this beautiful engines, how much everyone on this forum loves that old board track racer/motorcycle sound and start producing some engines!!

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I said this on another thread but it seems to me that people with much more limited info were making motors with some of the same resources that some of us here may have. How hard would it be to engineer a small motor? I have a very good understanding of these two stroke motors work as they are very simple so how hard can it really be? Are we fooling ourselves into thinking it's harder than it is? I think we may. Why don't we at least try?, I found from school the books are often full of crap and don't actually give you the whole picture so instead I just try it half the time the books are wrong half the time there not but the best thing to do is try and don't listen to what the "crowd" says.

I mean come on, in 8th grade I made a small jet engine out of an old hairspray bottle and random parts, lets give our selves some credit, right?

Last edited:

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
Well i have to agree with sportscarpat, there already is a cheap functional engine available, not a w-twin but it works.. Just go with it.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
it's not a vtwin, but it vibrates at idle.

some people on this forum do follow through with performance engines, how much power do you want? pm if interested in a new one.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Several years ago i came across something on the web with very little documentation. It looked like a 1/2 Harley 1 cylinder (thumper) with a separate transmission.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
CoastalCruiser, hopefully we forum members will find more Mini V-Twin video's and possibly some video's of the Single Cylinder Engines as well.

If your interested in V-Twins or Single Cylinder Engines for your vintage style builds, stay tuned to this thread, this thread is for and about those engines.

Here's a couple pic's of the singles:

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
the wright brothers were bicycle mechanics, they built an airplane including the engine in their garage i believe if my memory is good that they sand casted the engine parts, just something to think about, frank

MarkV

Jun 14, 2010
Austin, Texas
How about this:

Motor Bicycle Building 1907

It's a how-to book for building your own vintage bike and engine starting with castings and going on from there. You can even download and save it as a PDF and print out the plans. (Actually, I have a nifty software program called "ScalePrint" that lets me print out plans at any scale I want, up to and including full scale using my home printer.)

MarkV

Last edited:

mp43sniper

Jan 6, 2011
PA
I can cast aluminum here at home. Been doing that as a hobby for 10 years. If somebody were lucky enough to grab one of the old original engines or even parts of one, I could duplicate the cases, heads, pistons, etc etc. pretty easily.

Craig

AirPirate 32

Feb 24, 2011
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Gents,

I've been using the china-kits in my builds with success, but I've been motivated by some of the threads here to go towards 200cc...anyone had experience mounting a "modern" ATV/minibike or Lifan stock 125cc to a Worksman mod. frame?

Airpirate 32

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
For those of you who can't afford one of these mini v-twin four stroke's that I've posted youtube video links to, please do follow Sportscarpat's latest creation The Sportsman 200 single. Hopefully down the road Pat could make these engines available to us all thru AGK's product line!

This thread was posted by me to show you that their are some amazing machinist's out in the world who can and do make period correct miniature versions of original four stroke engines be they a Single or a V-Twin. Many of these patented engine designs are available for free at The U.S. Trade & Patent Office in Washington, D.C. since the patents have expired, all you have to do is search their website and find a machinist willing to build the scaled down ( Bicycle Sized ), version of one of these engine's for you!

If you find any Single or V-Twin engine online that could be scaled down or modified please share it here with us vintage motorbicycle enthusiasts, links to anything you find would be great!

C.H.

Guy's, let's not forget that there were single cylinder board track racers as well. I think these were the 500cc class. You can still build a pretty accurate looking boardie with a single cylinder engine. A twin would be very cool, but in the mean time keep building whatever is currently available and ride them as much as you can.
Awesome thread.I hope that this will show people who can make this beautiful engines, how much everyone on this forum loves that old board track racer/motorcycle sound and start producing some engines!!
unfortunately we've fallen so far behind on our work and been so busy we haven't had time to move forward on the V twin. were hoping to restart the project soon, sorry but we have no set date as of now as to when it will be ready.
Hey everyone it seems that many of us are interested in a Board Track Racer Tribute, and we want the Mini V-Twin Engine mounted in a Classic American Made Bicycle.

Most of us in the Board Track Racer & Vintage Style Road Cruiser genre, prefer our builds to be built using The Modified Worksman INB Industrial News Boy Cruiser for the Board Track Racer Tribute, and The Modified Worksman Industrial M2600 Cruiser for our Vintage Style Road Cruiser Tribute, with these frames being modified with a Drop Loop Down Tube.

There were two popular types of frames used in those early years by the most prominent builders one is the Drop Loop style and the other, 2 Keystone/Marion.

The 1919 Indian racer that appeared at the Marion, Indiana Labor Day race featured a "keystone" style frame; henceforth, Indian's version of this style of chassis was known as a "Marion frame."

The keystone style frame was actually a modified Drop Loop frame with the bottom of the loop cut away. This allowed the engine, supported by plates, to act as a structural member of the chassis.

Now we know that Rick Gilmore offers these Modified Worksman Drop Loop Style Bikes and it appears that Sportscarpat may very well be offering these Modified Worksman Drop Loop Style bikes in the near future!

Now the reason for this Thread is that many of us want a Mini V-Twin Engine for our Tribute builds.

Currently the only company offering a Mini V-Twin for Tribute Board Track Racer's & Tribute Road Style Cruiser Motor Bikes is none other than Home - Acme Motor Bikes

There is one other forum member Rick Gilmore aka cinelliphyle, who offers a V-Twin it's a non-functional Mini V-Twin which could be setup with Electric Powered Hubs / Wheels.

I myself have searched the internet and found many builders out there who have posted functional mini V-Twin's Video's.

There are Harley style mini functional Panheads, Knuckleheads, flatheads, and many other's.

So if you've found one of these videos please post a Link, the more we share these video's the more likely we will be able to convince those builders to offer their Mini V-Twin Engines for sale.

If we show that there is a demand we most likely can convince those Mini V-Twin Engine builders
that it may be something to consider.

Question: Other than Acme Motor Bikes & Rick Gilmore ( aka cinelliphyle ), do you know of others who offer the Functional Mini V-Twin Engines?

Please post their information here: Who they are, Where they are, What style or type of Mini V-Twin they build or have built, and any pictures or video Links to there Functional Mini V-Twins that you have found.

I'll post the first Video Link it's Acme Motor Bikes Mini V-Twin video on YouTube, here's the Link:
YouTube - Acme Labs V Twin

Here's a few more video's of functional mini v-twin engines:
YouTube - Mini V-twin engine-1st run

This one is the Harley Panhead it's a functional Mini V-Twin:
YouTube - 1/3 scale Harley

Here's another Looks like 1914 Harley V-Twin:
YouTube - vtwin again

Another V-Twin:
YouTube - Early Run of My V-Twin model Engine by Terry Mayhugh

YouTube - Vintage V-Twin

C'mon let's find more builders of Mini V-Twin Engines for our Vintage Style Motor Bicycles.

Start posting more information if you can, I'd very much appreciate your Participation or Leads regarding Mini V-Twin Engines who builds and sell's them.

Thanks to our Administrator ( Paul ), our Moderators, our Forum Members, our Forum Sponsors & our Builders of Tribute Board Track Racers & Vintage Style Road Cruisers, who are they:

Acme Motor Bikes,

Cinelliphyle aka Rick Gilmore,

SportscarPat of Sportsman Flyers and his Tribute Board Track Racer Kits,

and many others who help make this forum what it is, one of if not The Greatest Motorized Bicycling Forum, dedicated to the Motorized Bicycling Community!

Peace Crazy Horse!
Is anyone actually currently building a vintage look 4 stroke twin or single?

Cycoracer8

Jul 6, 2011
Hi-Desert, So. Cal
To create a V-twin from scratch that looks good, sounds good, reliable, & inexpensive is not an easy task. You can have anything built for a price. Don't forget about the liability the builder has to take on. V-twin engines going into bicycle frames sounds scary to a builder. I would think using a bottom end that is already produced & having a top end custom made would be the way to go at this point. Even at that it would be costly. Get two China engines. Cut the cranks & weld a rod journal onto one. Then make a bottom end case spacer for the wider crank. Bore a hole in the case for the rear cylinder. Put the other cylinder on & there ya go. This would be on a 2-stroke & it wouldn't have the sound that most would want. So then now that you have done that, try doing it to a 4-stroke China engine. It comes down to how badly you want it. Or you can just bolt on a fake rear cylinder..... then use the cylinder as your exhaust system for a deep sound. It still won't be perfect, but it is do-able & inexpensive with a V-twin look. I've been kicking this idea around for a bit.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
30 years ago or so, I had a Craftsman mower powered by a horozontal shaft, Briggs, V-twin, flathead of approximately 11hp.
I don't recall wheither the engine was alloy or iron, but it was fairly compact as it didn't have OH valves, rocker assemblies, or valve covers making for additional height. Haven't seen(or looked for) one in years, but it certainly outlived the rest of that mower.
Might be worth looking at to see if it'll fit in something