Woodruff key No.# size

GoldenMotor.com

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
does anyone know what Number size the woodruff key for chinadolls are?
looking for buy some replacements from Fastenal, but not sure what number they are.........

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've seen 3 different sizes depending on which factory the motor came from. On the plus side, all 4 keys in any motor I've seen are the same size.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I hadn't checked the HF sets to see if they have the size we need, or if they have at least 4 in the set, but that would be a cheap way to be sure you got a few spares...

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
It seems likely that some vendors might stock that part too...

Just to mention; The proper key will be sized in metric, and must fit in the keyway and sprocket snugly. No glue or other goop is needed.
With patience, you can file a larger key to fit. Any play must be avoided as it will lead to damage of the keyways, or shearing of the key.
As I learned on this site, "pinging" of the key could be necessary to assure that it will stay in place.

Let us know what you figure out.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Think I'll just pull one and measure it, and the slot.
Most of mine are same size.
However, crassius, you do have a point in different sizes. Got a Zoom engine for someone that wanted one installed. Noticed that the crank keys were thicker than the drive keys. Don't think they were any bigger though. Just thicker.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Basically what you don't want is a loose fitting key, it should be snug and fairly tight fitting, any play here will wear out the slot in the crank or the gear, or whatever the key is supposed to hold in place. You could file one to fit but I would never use one that's too small or that's loose enough to drop right in. It's not the key I'd be worried about messing up here, it's the slot on the crank or clutch shaft you don't want to mess up.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
well so much for that plan.
i dont know if its company wide or store only ...
but Fastenal only sells to business' now
No Personal Sales, No Cash Sales

guess ill have to get something from online somewhere else .......