winter blues

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I live in central Texas and we always have crazy temp changes might be 70 in the day and it may go into the 20's at night and back up to 60-80'F we're acustom to wild swings in temp around here but I agree, 60-65 @ night is great and then 75'F xcome about noon is perfect......year around like this would be fine with me.

Map
.wee.

Sounds like San Diego.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
we are moving in about 5 weeks (15 miles ) was thinking about riding bike to new place but i am from England and been in Michigan 9 years and still not got use to the cold weather here lol , so looks like its going on the lorry with rest of stuff.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
.santa

No blues here in Florida- did the usual trip for coffee. Six miles plus round trip- smooth urban roads of Jacksonville
My god, getting old and tired though- never thought I'd feel so tired and still a month to 60.

Near 80, rode in shorts,
typing this tonight with the window open, but it's 'sposed to turn cooler now finally-
been wishing I'd left the AC in the window the past 3 days or so.

Took these photos of the bike before I left- sure can carry a lot
the panniers are lightweight when empty, and squish flat to not catch much air
the trunk rack has that little water bottle pouch, which also holds a bottle of oil nicely when I go for gas.
50 cc motor on Huffy cruiser frame with 700c wheels, 32mm tires,
39 alloy motor sprock bolted to a flip/flop hub.
47 lbs. unloaded total weight.
a great little urban assault vehicle- and thankfully I don't have to take it up and down a flight of stairs anymore!

Got a 1" threaded Shock Fork I found on a trashed frame I think I'll put on this soon-
adds a little weight, but really makes a smoother ride.....

.santa

Attachments

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
.santa

No blues here in Florida- did the usual trip for coffee. Six miles plus round trip- smooth urban roads of Jacksonville
My god, getting old and tired though- never thought I'd feel so tired and still a month to 60.

Near 80, rode in shorts,
typing this tonight with the window open, but it's 'sposed to turn cooler now finally-
been wishing I'd left the AC in the window the past 3 days or so.

Took these photos of the bike before I left- sure can carry a lot
the panniers are lightweight when empty, and squish flat to not catch much air
the trunk rack has that little water bottle pouch, which also holds a bottle of oil nicely when I go for gas.
50 cc motor on Huffy cruiser frame with 700c wheels, 32mm tires,
39 alloy motor sprock bolted to a flip/flop hub.
47 lbs. unloaded total weight.
a great little urban assault vehicle- and thankfully I don't have to take it up and down a flight of stairs anymore!

Got a 1" threaded Shock Fork I found on a trashed frame I think I'll put on this soon-
adds a little weight, but really makes a smoother ride.....

.santa
the front shocks make a real differance man let me tell you !!!! i just swapper out to a set of 1 in threaded hpr shocks on my cruiser and wow man wow !!! all the vibs and most of the bumps are gone !

nice sadle bags man i like that ! i run a rear rack and bag but cant seem to find a matching sadle bag setup, eehhh whatcha gonna do lol i have the avia rear rack and bag and it nice.

that thing must be awfull quick with 29in wheels and a 39t rear !!! what are doing 45mph ?????

ohh just so you know i have a nearly identical frame so .... that front shock swap will amaze you is all i am trying to say lol do it as soon as you can !

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
No, it's actually quite tame with a stock NT carb- while my speedo is on the 66 bike, I think this 50 generally does about 25 mph, maybe a bit more wide open, but I don't like to push it there-

I've had a suspension fork on the 66 for several years, and yes they are a cush ride, especially with the big wheels- 27 x 1 1/4 here-

this one is a bit quicker- 30 cruise and up to 35

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I really like big wheels on bicycles too. Most of the bikes that I regularly ride have 28 x 1 1/2 inch wheels and they are just so good on the country roads around where I live. Compared with bikes fitted with smaller wheel sizes my bikes have a lovely gliding motion and the 28 inch wheels handle patches of broken tarseal and the sometimes uneven road surface without any problems.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Best wishes on the shoulder repair brother..... I pray you have a very speedy recovery.

Yep lots of junk gets pumped into our home and minds through that one eyd monster we call a tv, sometimes I think a good name for it would be ( devilvision) ...lol!

Merry Christmas

Map
Tell-lie-vision Map

I shut my tv off years ago .. I only turn it on Sundays for football

What a nice looking bike Nash!!..wish my bike would stay that clean !!

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Many folks don't understand the concept that some peeps actually prefer to be by themselves. !
The very reason my bicycle isn't a two seater People need to understand ..it's rather simple the sun is growing ..think of a match being struck ..a match that's going to take trillions of years to burn, we are going to get warmer and there is nothing we can do about it..

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

For some reason, getting an ICEE from 7-11 during the winter just makes me feel better.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Snow again today.

So, I think I'll just stay home and make a meatloaf and some mac & cheese (with just a touch of Ro-Tel)........mmmmmmm!!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Snow again today.

So, I think I'll just stay home and make a meatloaf and some mac & cheese (with just a touch of Ro-Tel)........mmmmmmm!!
No snow don here in central Texas but its windy and cold.... watched football today and had a couple great chili dogs for lunch to top off the 4 fried eggs three biscuits and 5 or so slices of perfectly cooked bacon I fixed the wifey and I for breakfast.

I put Rotel in my meatloaf when I have it and when I dont, stewed tomatoes and a dab of ketchup works nice and just a little Louisiana Hot sauce to get it some zip.

Dang Im getting hungry...lol!

Map

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Need to try the drained Ro-Tel in your macs & cheese ---- sounds weird, but it's the shiznat!!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Need to try the drained Ro-Tel in your macs & cheese ---- sounds weird, but it's the shiznat!!
Sounds good and I will give it a try, Rotel is just plain good stuff, last week we made up a batch of cheese dip with a heathy dose of Rotel, good stuff Maynard......lol!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
my god guys !!!!!! i just done the stupidest thing i have ever done !

right now in northern MA and NH where i live its -20 deg F !!!!!!! everrything is frozen and the groung is so cold its like as solid as granite !

well i got suited up in 4 layers of hoodies and even thermal underwhere (not cheap ones ether army issue cold weather waffle gear !) and i got my bike out from the cellar, i put it down there because i was afraid of any damage that could occur from the extreem cold making it brittle and weak. and i took a ride to the store to get my meds !!!

it was only 3 miles but god was it the worst 3 miles of my life ! as soon as you start riding the wind just penitrates you right through to the bone !

i swear to god i have never felt cold like that ! i have been hunting in northern vermont on -10 deg days with blazing wind and i have been warmer ! it was the wind slamming me wile driveing the motor bike that killed me man wow ! that wind at 30mph when riding in -20 deg is relentless !!!

i can not make it to work !!! its that bad ! i dont have enough cloths to bundle to combat 30mph -29deg wind ! i barley made it 3 mile ti cvs ! how can i make it 6 miles to work !!!!

my hands were so cold they went numb and when they started warming up they hurt so bad i just sat theree moanning and holding my hands in my arm pits !!! that pain was frost bite un freazing !!!!

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i am also in fear of my bike breaking !

as you know when things get cold like this they become brittle ! and the cheap cheap metal this motor is made from is no acseption ! i bet if i left it out all night, by morning i could tap the head lightly with a hammer and it would shatter ! or mabey i would go to start it and the jug would crack ! or even the expantion of the metal as it warms around the colder parts of the motor could warp things !

if you want to keep your bike safe in below zero tempatures you need to keep it inside ! you need to run extra oil in your mix and once you get it started go real easy on the throttle and let it idle a little high for a few good min before you even think of taking off !
at this tempature you may not even be able to get it started ! it took me a little bit to get her running once i came out of cvs and she cooled down to outside temp !

just be safe ! i dont want any one to experiance the pain i felt in my hands today from the frost bite !!! it was soo bad i felt like i could puke !

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
today i definatly had the winter blues !!! my hand were blue that is LOL

i rode at pretty high rpms for 3 miles strait and the motor did not even get warm ! wow !

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My wife uses Ro-Tel in a lot of her cooking. I call it 'road kill' and it makes her laugh. Good stuff and it'll perk up almost anything. Try it in omelets with crumbled up sausage and crushed red peppers.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
My wife uses Ro-Tel in a lot of her cooking. I call it 'road kill' and it makes her laugh. Good stuff and it'll perk up almost anything. Try it in omelets with crumbled up sausage and crushed red peppers.

Tom

In the winter, I make a thing that I call German Lasagna.....

You layer thin sliced potatoes (or frozen hash browns), cheese, crumbled sausage, onions, and golden mushroom soup. Hmmm, I just might have to make one tomorrow......

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Is this the rotel you guys speak of?
You guys are just way too harcore!

Anyway, if it wasn't for my fingers and toes, sub-zero weather on a motorized bicycle wouldn't be so bad. I don't like white fingertips.

But, there is also the ice all over the place and snow banks on the roadsides that leave little room for me and cars, too dangerous.

So my bike is all cold (and alone) in the shed with my regular bicycle for company, locked together happily.