It doesn't look like much, but.....

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
it has potential.

PHOT0005 (2).jpg

It's an old, American made Huffy girl's bike. It's a bit more 'roomy' than typical cheap frames of today. For instance, there's a bit more space from the bottom bracket to the point that the rear chainstays widen out. Making more room for fenders and tire clearance and such. It's taller than typical cheap bikes as well. That's good for me; I'm a 6 footer.

I don't think it would take much to give it a classic look. I'm toying with ways of taking standard 'duck tail' fenders and making them into wraparounds.

I might be able to make this bike look like a cross between these two NSUs.
nsu__ladies_quwick_1940_2_lgw.jpg
nsu__qickly_s_1960_1_lgw.jpg

Maybe I'll work on this during the winter and end up with a pretty cool bike come spring.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
As a matter of fact, Intrepid Wheelwoman, your faux-Rudge might well have inspired the idea.

At least, that's what I was thinking about when I looked at that frame and wondered if I could squeeze a china girl in there.

It might not have occurred to me otherwise.

I had been wondering what to do with that frame. While I don't particularly crave a step-through frame for myself I also knew that that frame had good geometry for me and I didn't want to just let it sit there forever doing nothing.

A faux-NSU sounds like a good use to put it to.

And now that I think about it, it's time to do something that's been on my to-do list; google NSU and learn a bit more about them. I've been vaguely aware of them as a British bike manufacturer for some time. But I know very little else.

Maybe I'll find out why Cream titled that one song "NSU". That is, if there's any connection at all.

Of course they had that other song titled "SWLABR". She Was Like A Bearded Rainbow. Great song, weird idea. Maybe NSU is another strange acronym.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It is a nice bike. And that thread pointed me toward www.oldbike.eu And that's a great site.

So thanks, Curtis.

If I go ahead and build this bike, I'll probably have to start a new build thread. Under the circumstances, after all, my build thread simply must have as a title: "Committing plagiary: a faux NSU build".

There's just no choice about that.