80cc engine?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
They can 'say' all they want, and post photos (Photoshop?) but until someone physically measures the bore and stroke, I'm unconvinced. Displacement does not include the combustion chamber volumn which is where some sellers get the extra CCs and where the term "80cc" came from originally. To my knowledge there are no true Chinese 80cc engines available. I might be misinformed but I want proof before changing my opinion.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Thanks for posting the link, I was trying to post from my iPod. It is hard enough for me on a computer! Anyway Tom what I was thinking about was the low end torque gain that might be possible, kinda like a NASCAR engine of358 ci. But has a 4-5/8 bore and shorter stroke.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Now that I got to my computer let me explain, in nascar engines the bore has gone up over the years and the stroke shortened. This has proven to increase the low end torque greatly. A 350 ci chevy small block has a bore of 4 inches, the current nationwide 358ci toyota engine has a bore of 4.470 inches. nationwide engines have about 200 less hp than sprint cup engines which specs. are hard to find.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're not arguing the effects of more cubic inches. We want proof that the engine advertised is actually what they claim it to be. I think all the old gear heads here will agree that "The only subsitute for cubic inches, is more cubic inches". What we have a problem with is the basic casting of the Chines 2 stroke engine as we all know them. To get an actual 80cc stuffed into it would require a larger bore, or a longer stroke and that would require a bigger cylinder or a crankshaft that is different from what every engine out there comes with.
I've yet to see anyone successfully bore a chrome plated, aluminum cylinder or build a crank with a longer/shorter stroke. Changing the connecting rod length does not alter stroke. The stroke is dictated by the crankshaft throw and cylinder volume is only changed by boring to a larger diameter. Not an easy task with an HT (Happy Time, Chinese 2 stroke) engine. Advertising claims are one thing; real world measurements are another.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I agree, Ron said that he has one of these so maybe he can tell us more about his, or maybe DRC has opened his up.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I agree, Ron said that he has one of these so maybe he can tell us more about his, or maybe DRC has opened his up.
I took off the top end of mine when I first got it to change the head studs and head gasket.

The gasket that I put in was the standard 66cc one from SBP. It was not a larger bore. The piston in the photo looks considerably larger in diameter than a stock 66cc.

It is possible that their scam is just taking a picture of a piston from some other 2 stroke engine and claiming it is theirs.

Last edited:

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
It's definitly a fake. I englarged the picture and measured the 49cc piston's diameter on my monitor. We know that this piston is 40mm, So I've got a scale. Using the scale on the piston in the middle, I found its diameter is 45mm and the right one is 47mm.:eek:
In Germany that "kind of selling" is fraud and forbidden.

Multipaul

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Now that I got to my computer let me explain, in nascar engines the bore has gone up over the years and the stroke shortened. This has proven to increase the low end torque greatly. A 350 ci chevy small block has a bore of 4 inches, the current nationwide 358ci toyota engine has a bore of 4.470 inches. nationwide engines have about 200 less hp than sprint cup engines which specs. are hard to find.
That's very odd, then. When Dodge first got back into NASCAR racing Petty Enterprizes had to get rid of over 200 engines that were overbored to NASCAR specs. The reason is Large bore, short stroke motors can be spun faster than a square bore/stroke set-up. I have a Pontiac 151 Iron Duke motor. In reality it's a Jeep version but no real difference except a stiffened block and their own head. It has a 4.00 inch bore with a 3 inch stroke. This is the same dimentions as the 60's Z28 motor that were famous for 8500 RPM blasts down a quarter mile. The Iron Duke won't spin like that due to sucky intake ports but they easily spin to 7000 RPM until they run out of air.

I think what it is is Toyota has a bore spacing of 4.470 and not a bore of 4.470 or you would hear screaming from the other 3 manufacturers.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Let me first say sorry for going in the wrong direction with this thread, my intent was to find out if this was indeed a 80cc engine and if it were was there any noticeable differances from the 66cc engines. Most if not all that have replied know alot more about these engines than I. Maybe we wil find out more later but it is hard to understand why someone would advertise that if they did not believe it to be true, Greg.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Maybe we wil find out more later but it is hard to understand why someone would advertise that if they did not believe it to be true, Greg.
Can you say "scammer"? Knew ya' could.

I haven't heard back from him even though I sent him a very polite question..."If I buy one of these and find it to not be a full 80cc engine, can I return it for a full refund?
Thanks!
Joe"

I got no response...

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
In Germany that "kind of selling" is fraud and forbidden.
What I've written up there, it is too hard! Sorry for that.

Inch, square inch and Kubikzentimeter (=cc) doesn't go together well.
Better suggestion even for people with simple calculators:

Displacement in cc = b x b x s x 12,87
b: Bore in inch
s: Stroke in inch