China girl motor first startup - choke or no choke?

GoldenMotor.com

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Sometime soon I will be doing my first startup of a 48cc China girl motor.
Do you usually need to use the choke for cold starting? or not necessary?
On the NT carb the choke lever is in the up position to be off, down for on?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: China girl first startup - choke or no choke?

The choke lever on the NT should be down, (off) for nornal running.
Raise the lever 1/2 or full for cold starts then push it down after the engine fires and has run for a few moments. Some never use the choke for cold starts and some use partial or full choke. It depends on many factors and you'll have to decide what works best for your engine.

Choke on, means the choke plate is covering the intake throat of the carburetor which provides a fuel rich condition for starting.
Choke off, means the choke is full open allowing all the air possible to enter the carb and mix with the fuel.
A rich fuel mixture sometimes makes starting a cold engine easier.
You can remove the air cleaner and see what moving the lever up or down does.
Let us know what works for you. Good luck.
Tom

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks Tom, yeah I know how they work but I didnt wanna have to remove the aircleaner to find out! doin a bit of typing was easier.
I'll try it with the lever down (choke off) & see what it's like.
Just waiting on a half link for one of my chains & then hopefully I can get it setup for starting.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

I start mine with the lever up, give it a few seconds to a half minute to warm up, swing the lever down and go.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

I run an NT carb. I start with the lever up, after 5 seconds to a half minute on colder, damp mornings I swing the lever down and go. This is a new NT I just picked up this week, sorry the pics are a bit blurred.

Attachments

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas

That new NT carb looks nice, very similar to the one on my pocket bike. The only thing I hate about it was the petcock, it usually gets clog with gas debris.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Most of the time I can get away with not even using the choke. Your engine will decide if it needs it. And you will get the hang of your engine & how it runs at different temperatures and conditions.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA

Please post a pic of your whole bike. That pic of your engine looks good. I want to see the whole thing.:)