My First build, EXCITED, but please help.

GoldenMotor.com

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
So I bought a cranbrook at walmart for total around $86, I took the stickers and little reflector things off. So I Was riding the bike as is and I hit a big pothole and almost fell, it made a dent in the front rim and one of the spokes are bent. The rear rim is fine, Is there a cranbrook guide somewhere on here to show me step by step on how to install and tune the motor? And any special modifications that need to be done to the cranny so nothing breaks or falls apart thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

7t5

Aug 19, 2011
SE Michigan
You need a new wheel. Take it back and complain, they'll probably give you another.
The motor dropped right in mine with no mods to the mounts. (2 cycle motor)
I had to trim the original chainguard to clear the motor, I trimmed the new chain guard to clear the rear fender and I trimmed the rear fender to clear the motor chain.
It went together easily.
I also took a couple of links out of the chain to get rid of the tensioner.
I think I could do the same install in about 3 hours since I now have experience.

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
You need a new wheel. Take it back and complain, they'll probably give you another.
The motor dropped right in mine with no mods to the mounts. (2 cycle motor)
I had to trim the original chainguard to clear the motor, I trimmed the new chain guard to clear the rear fender and I trimmed the rear fender to clear the motor chain.
It went together easily.
I also took a couple of links out of the chain to get rid of the tensioner.
I think I could do the same install in about 3 hours since I now have experience.
I hope it goes as easy as you say it does because I was looking at other threads and they said it was a pain, lots of modyfiing

7t5

Aug 19, 2011
SE Michigan
I hope it goes as easy as you say it does because I was looking at other threads and they said it was a pain, lots of modyfiing
Yeah, I know. There are a few people who have had some install issues. I think in general, most Cranbrook installs are fairly straightforward. See this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/f41/you-guys-scare-me-33060.html

The people that complain the most are the ones who have had problems. Remember, for every one of them there are probably 10 people who had no issues at all. Don't let the worriers affect you. Just start building and take care of issues as they come up.

One more thing: This is only a $90 bike. If you feel the need to cut or chop anything not structural, go for it.

7t5

Aug 19, 2011
SE Michigan
I find it hard to believe that a HT installed into a Cranbrook CORRECTLY, without making a front mount. I made one for a member today, when the rear mount was mounted, to clear the chain guard, the front mount was 1.5 inches away from the tube.

Engine Mounting pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket
I trimmed the chainguard, as mentioned in my earlier thread. So believe it. It is totally correct. And it looks perfect.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I want to get all the materials I need before I even start attaching anything. But I am straight up broke spent every penny I had buying the bike and motor, Its a china "80cc", It says that my kit doesnt come with clutch because of new design. Is this right? Or where they too cheap to include it?

80cc 2-Cycle Engine Moto Kit Motorized Bicycle Bike | eBay
It doesn't say "clutch" It says it does not come with a "kill switch" which is a way to shut down the engine by way of an electrical connection to the ignition circuit. Looks to me like they're just being cheap. A kill switch is considered a safety device and it should be a part of the kit. I highly suggest you install one and not rely on the clutch or choke lever to shut down the engine.
Ebay is not the best choice for these engine kits. You'd have been better off buying through a reputable vendor who will stand behind his sale.
Good luck.
Tom

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I want to get all the materials I need before I even start attaching anything. But I am straight up broke spent every penny I had buying the bike and motor, Its a china "80cc", It says that my kit doesnt come with clutch because of new design. Is this right? Or where they too cheap to include it?

80cc 2-Cycle Engine Moto Kit Motorized Bicycle Bike | eBay
Ummm news to me. Where did you get it from, I'd like to see the ad.