Fuel Problems

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
While scanning ran across the discussion of eng failure in cold weather. Done a lot of flying in my days and carb ice has taken down a many good men. It can happen in warm weather. The venture speeding up the air cools it down etc. I am sure you guys know the drift here. Carb heat was always applied in colder conditions and its source was ducted air from the exhaust system. But more than that my wondering stems from the new fuels made from corn etc. Ethanol I think it is. Local motorcycle shop mechanic says he will not run it in his engines without a stabilizer or octane booster. The fuel makes water and causes all types of problems. Good article in latest Popular Mechanics on just that subject. Oh and by the way the FAA forbids its use in airplanes especially the ones that have been modified for car gas. Ok mull it around. Glaff

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Although a valid concern, in practice it really doesn't seem to be much of a problem with these engines. Worse case scenario would be your throttle sticking because of a frosty slide, the kill switch or choke would still kill the engine & coupla throttle twists should free it up in any case. It's a LOT easier to pull over for a sec on a bike than a plane lol

Carb icing usually has far more to do with ambient humidity than temperature, but even still I've never had a problem with it w/these lil carbys. Another difference is it's not uncommon for an airplane to remain at the same throttle setting for prolonged periods (allowing ice to build), whereas that's highly unlikely w/the bikes.

Here's a buncha info on both carb ice and the effects of ethanol if yer curious;

AOPA Combating Carb Ice
Boatbuilding.net | Pros and Cons of 10% Ethanol in Gas

Last edited:

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
You are correct on both parts concerning airplanes and carb iceing. I have seen it with temps in the 40's. Humidity etc. Sounds like you might me an ole plane jock . G

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
The article about Ethanol in Gas is what the magazine said in so many ways. I was just surprised on how water affected it etc. The fella at the bike shop says a friend running a Shell station quotes it being higher than 10 % but then no proof of that either. The FAA banned the stuff long ago.