How to install clutch cable on 58cc StarFire Gen II 2 Stroke Engine

GoldenMotor.com

thepassionneverdies

Jul 26, 2010
Alta Loma
I recently bought the 58cc StarFire Gen II 2 Stroke Engine to replace my 48cc Broped motor and I'm having trouble installing the clutch cable. All I ordered was the motor not the kit so I'm wondering if I'm somehow using the wrong cable (using a brake cable). Here's what I've done so far.
I've ran the cable through the right side of the motor and once I get to the clutch arm it goes straight through and there's no way to tighten the cable in place. The clutch arm I had on my Broped you would just feed the cable through then tighten it with a screw. Since I couldn't figure out how to tighten the cable on the default clutch arm I decided to switch out the clutch arms. After that I still can't get the clutch engaged. If you guys need pictures I can get that for you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also is there suppose to be a pin in between the clutch gears on the left side?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Photos would greatly help here to see what you have.
I'm not following your question regarding a "pin between the clutch gears" on the left side. Under the clutch actuator cover, left side as you're sitting on the bike looking down, there is a sprocket...no gears. There should be a steel pin protruding from the center of that sprocket and behind it is a ball bearing. Don't loose either one and lube them well before final assembly.
As for the cable attachment, the complete kit would have included a cable stop. It is a small steel or brass collar with a set screw in it that tightens down on the cable. A good hobby shop will carry 'Wheel Collars' for model airplane wheels. You'll need one with a 1/16" hole. Ace Hardware might have them but they would be called cable stops.
After you've run the cable down to the engin'e clutch actuator lever you'll want to pull all slack out of the cable then slide the collar, cable stop up against the arm and tighten the set screw. Remember, no slack and adjust the clutch, in your case the brake lever so you have adjustment for later. Get back to us if these suggestion don't help.
Tom

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Look at this set up...

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Mikes HT bike/HPIM23771.jpg

Blue.. mdified cable route.
Red.. origional cable mount

There is a small cable clamp with a hole through it that the clutch cable slides through, and a small bolt that screws in to tighten against the cable. I changed mine out and replaced the screw with a allen head set screw...for looks, and ease of tightening. Both do the same thing. If you need a photo of the cable clamp I'd be glad to post a picture.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Mikes HT bike/cableclamp.jpg

Bucking bar and ball..
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Chinese HT breakdown/?action=view&current=18.jpg

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
...I decided to switch out the clutch arms. After that I still can't get the clutch engaged...
I will assume that 58cc was typo and you mean a 48cc Starfire as they are 48 and 66 ;-}

If the replaced motors clutch arm is the same length or longer it is not the cable, it is dried grease on the new motors clutch plate.
Happens all the time on motors that have been sitting around a long time before being shipped to you.

Just pop the big round right side clutch cover off.
Remove the little set screw that keeps the star nut on the clutch plate in place.
Press the clutch plate in and you you can usually undo the star nut by hand.
make a note of the turns you use and mark the spot it was in with a marker!
Pull the clutch plate off.

Now just lock in the clutch lever.. errr, you can't with a brake lever, it has no lock pin, that sucks.
Find what you can to keep the lever pulled in like a hose clap or something.
Then just take a long screwdriver and put it flat against the motor between two of the clutch plate holding pins and give it a shove.

If it breaks and spins free you are OK.
If not, and the motor still engages you have two choices...

Pop the left cover and hold the drive gear nut with the spark plug wrench and try it again.
Or, pull the spark plug and stick something NON-Metal that won't scare the cylinder wall into the plug hole to keep the piston from moving and break it free.

Clean up the clutch plate and pads too if you want, then put it back together going by your notes of turns on the star nut.
Engage the clutch again to make this easy.
Don't forget the set screw, and a little locktite on it is a good idea ;-}

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Something to stuff in the cylinder with the plug out and head on would be something like 1/4" rope. The combustion chamber is small so it won't take much. Leave a few inches hanging out and the rope can be removed very easily.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i am sorry to said this but there is a 58 cc star fire motor they dont make them anymore since they ban them i have one sitting in my house for spare

thepassionneverdies

Jul 26, 2010
Alta Loma
I will assume that 58cc was typo and you mean a 48cc Starfire as they are 48 and 66 ;-}

If the replaced motors clutch arm is the same length or longer it is not the cable, it is dried grease on the new motors clutch plate.
Happens all the time on motors that have been sitting around a long time before being shipped to you.

Just pop the big round right side clutch cover off.
Remove the little set screw that keeps the star nut on the clutch plate in place.
Press the clutch plate in and you you can usually undo the star nut by hand.
make a note of the turns you use and mark the spot it was in with a marker!
Pull the clutch plate off.

Now just lock in the clutch lever.. errr, you can't with a brake lever, it has no lock pin, that sucks.
Find what you can to keep the lever pulled in like a hose clap or something.
Then just take a long screwdriver and put it flat against the motor between two of the clutch plate holding pins and give it a shove.

If it breaks and spins free you are OK.
If not, and the motor still engages you have two choices...

Pop the left cover and hold the drive gear nut with the spark plug wrench and try it again.
Or, pull the spark plug and stick something NON-Metal that won't scare the cylinder wall into the plug hole to keep the piston from moving and break it free.

Clean up the clutch plate and pads too if you want, then put it back together going by your notes of turns on the star nut.
Engage the clutch again to make this easy.
Don't forget the set screw, and a little locktite on it is a good idea ;-}
The screw is stripped.....

thepassionneverdies

Jul 26, 2010
Alta Loma
Thanks for all the help everyone. I've tried everyone ideas except for one since my screw is stripped. I can't seem to get the cable tight enough. Its tight when I tighten everything up then it becomes lose again and I can't get the handle to bounce back.

Last edited:

thepassionneverdies

Jul 26, 2010
Alta Loma
Thanks for all your help I need to call up bicycle engines tomorrow and tell them that the motor did not ship with the Cam Pin. I used the one from my older motor and it does not work. Quick question about the cam pin its suppose to stick out when you have it in right? And how can I tell if the ball is in?

Last edited: