who has a moped license?

GoldenMotor.com

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
In pa it's kinda grey.
1 person got pulled over and went to court and won the case that the bike was legal.

We have ridden for a long time with no hassel.

Now there sayin we need to register.
9.00 for registration no problem.
Got to have a title to register anything in pa.

To get title need inspecrion.
To get inspected need criteria.
No criteria exsist.

Bike can be registered but not titled.

Registration required?????

How is that fair.

Give me the ability to register it and i will.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
In the USA, different states have different laws about mopeds, what riding one takes, and what qualifies as one.

Back during the 1970's when the moped craze peaked (during the manufactured "oil crisis" in the USA) most states de-classified mopeds from motorcycles. You did not need any specific motorcycle license for them; as long as you held any type of valid drivers' license you could operate a moped.

I was told that there is a general move towards eliminating the moped classification at the state level, and just requiring the same motorcycle license for anything with less than four wheels. I'm not real sure of what the reasoning for this would be, because mopeds aren't normally operated with regular traffic anyway. Maybe the people at the drivers license place were losing business and needed something else to take up their time?
~

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn
I just read an artical about the moped craze that got the under 50cc rules spread across the states. It was so cool to hear how riders all came together before internet, cell phones and the like to get these things in place for us now. Thanks mopeders!

In MN the DMV told me they want nothing to do with registering home built bikes as there is to many liablities involved. They told me to just ride anywhere I would ride a bicycle and I'll be fine as there is no penalty for putting a motor on your bike. The more I look into it the more confused I get. I almost hope to get pulled over to clarify but haven't had a problem yet.