Bushpig

GoldenMotor.com

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Hello fellow "Bike" lovers, I aquired one of these Gems a couple of years ago.
My "Hardley Davidson" alas, has spit her chain, destroying a few links. I have
been looking all over town for connector links and offsets, without any luck.
I have read in your forum here about people using #41 or #42 to repair their old 415
chain, am I missing something here??? I have tried every different combination, to
no avail, Too wide, pin diameter too small, ect. Winters on its way and I'd love to get
some more bugs in the teeth, any suggestions???

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hello fellow "Bike" lovers, I aquired one of these Gems a couple of years ago.
My "Hardley Davidson" alas, has spit her chain, destroying a few links. I have
been looking all over town for connector links and offsets, without any luck.
I have read in your forum here about people using #41 or #42 to repair their old 415
chain, am I missing something here??? I have tried every different combination, to
no avail, Too wide, pin diameter too small, ect. Winters on its way and I'd love to get
some more bugs in the teeth, any suggestions???
I don't think people repair their old 415s with #41 chain. I believe it is one or the other. Why not just order a new chain? In a few days you'll have it an be on the road again. Check the vendors on this page and I'm sure you'll find links and new chain. Many peo;e here say the #41 is better than the stock 415. dI can't say that I've had any trouble with stock chain on several builds. One has over a thousand miles on the same chain. Is there a farm and tractor supply business in your area? You should be able to get #41 that way if it is your preference. Even here in northern Minnesota the motorbicycling weather is coming to a close pretty soon. Another month and if real lucky a bit more than that and it will be snow time and too cold to enjoy a bike. Get that chain, man! Autumn is just about the best riding there is.
Silverbear

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Sorry mate: I'm new to this site, just got so damn frustrated taking that old chain to all the bike shops and chain stores up here, I decided to try the other fellows advice and buy a box of #41 with a bunch of con links and half links, like I said, Winters coming real soon, I want to eat more bugs..Hahahahahhaha..Thanks Glenn.

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
For me to even get a #415 chain, it has to come from friggin Quebec, Canada. I'm in Alberta, Canada, a whole world away, I have been running ARGO'S since 78' I'm used
roller chain and by watching this site,it's obviously rarely used. But thanks anyway.

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Silverbear...An Argo is a six or eight wheeled "truly" all terrain, utility vehicle, look one up on the web. Roller chain is a type of chain used in drivetrain or driveline applications, ie , your bicycle chain.

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Silly me, totally missed that one, buy a complete chain, obviously I cannot hodge podge offsets and connectors from differing sizes of roller chain. Just got the call that my box of #41 is in, hopefully I'll be spitting bugs before lunch, thanks for the advice. The #41 does look a lot lighter than the #415 even though the specs are not much different. Oh well I now have a box and extra links to compensate for any stretching once the old "Hardley Davidson" is back on the road.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Silverbear...An Argo is a six or eight wheeled "truly" all terrain, utility vehicle, look one up on the web. Roller chain is a type of chain used in drivetrain or driveline applications, ie , your bicycle chain.
Ah, now I know what an Argo is. The business with the roller chain and my thinking it was something new to me reminds of an experience I had about forty years ago as a young man. My oldest brother was owed some money by a guy he new who was leaving town and paid off his debt by giving my brother a half way torn apart MGTD sports car, 1951 if I remember right. A lot of people at that time looked down their noses at British sports cars with their "little" four and six cylinder engines and my brother wanted nothing to do with it. So he gave it to me so that I could learn something by doing, which I did. First thing up was to buy a shop manual, written in British English, of course, with strange names for some things, like calling the hood a bonnet, the trunk a boot, etc. I was studying hard the section of the manual on repairing the brakes and came across a reference to needing a certain size "spanner" to do the job properly. Hmmm, a spanner. I didn't have a lot of tools, just basic stuff like screwdrivers and wrenches, ratchet and sockets. So, I called up some auto places and asked if they had any spanners in stock. They didn't know what they were. I was getting frustrated and read the manual some more. I thought I'd go ahead as best I could and just wing it. I looked at what I needed a spanner for and thought, I bet I could do that with a wrench and I did, too. It was much later that I discovered a spanner was a wrench in Brit. Ha... So now I know I'm using roller chain on my bike. I never heard it referred to that way. Now I know. Thanks. Good luck with your ride. It has been warm of late here in northern Minnesota and there have been bugs in the air which sting my face as I ride. I keep my mouth shut, so no need for flossing after I shut the motor off. Cold weather is coming soon, so every day calls for a serious ride until the axe falls. As Ezra Pound wrote,
"Winter is a cumin in
lude sing, "Goddamn"!
Raineth drop and staineth slop and how the wind doth ram,
Sing Goddamn...
etc...
So as Dax is fond of saying, "Enjoy the ride".
Silverbear

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Yup Silver, you pegged it, I am of English decent, I was born and raised in Bradford Yorkshire England, I emigrated to Canada back in 1975 with the immediate family. Am 46 now, was 12 when I got here.Have been trapping up in my area for about 30 yrs now so of course, I have two Argo's, 2 Three wheel Yamaha atv.s and a couple of boats. You have to learn to pull the most bizarre of pieces off of one machine sometimes, to get the stuck one out of the bush. I've made numerous quick but very workable repairs to my "Hardley Davidson" since owning it, mostly due to the logistics of ordering from supliers up here. Am on my way soon to try out this #41 chain that was suggested, getting the appropriate #415 was too much hassle, had to order it from the other side of the country. As previously stated, it looks lighter but the specs are not that far off. Will just have to see how it stretches when my 210ilb carcass is out flying around on the old girl again. Take care.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
P.s, I'm one of the few that would have done a back flip to have an old MG.
Well, then, I know you will be familiar with my very first car, a used Austin Healy 3000 roadster... the one with the Plexiglas side curtains rather than the roll up windows. Loved that car and still have dreams about it sometimes forty some years later. My oldest brother took it without my OK it to a drag strip on amateur night and ran it through a chain link fence. It got hurt all over, poor thing. I think that's why he gave me the MGTD later to make ammends. That first TD was a right hand side drive and took some getting used to. I had so much fun doing that over, rebuilt the motor, replaced the wiring which had been torn out, redid the brakes, gave it a lacquer paint job with a little electric paint sprayer, rubbing between the coats and taking forever. Looking back I am impressed with myself for what I did without knowing how until I was done. Then I got two more MGTD s, both left hand drive. Sold them and bought an MGA coupe without an engine which was pretty rare at least here in the US. Lost that one in a divorce. But the Healy is the one still in my heart. I guess your first car is like your first real love. You never forget. In similar spirit I doubt I'll ever sell my first china girl driven American Flyer. We've been through a lot together, me the dog and that bike, well over a thousand miles. It's like an old friend. Wish I still had one of those sweet British sports cars.
Ah well, all water under the bridge I suppose.
Silverbear

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Oh yes Silver, I'm more partial to an old Mini-Cooper S, even a newer one for that matter.
Speaking of lost "loves" I used to have an original 47 Willy's Jeep in great shape and a great runner too. I let my Brother use it while he was doing body work on my old 77 Trans -Am, well he took it on himself to feel sorry for an old farmer and sold my Willy's to him, Oh Brotherly love...Anyhow I'm off to the chain store to try out this #41 roller chain on my "Hardley Davidson" I'm a little worried about the stretch, but I bought a box and a bunch of con links and offsets, should be good to go.

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Don't go running too fast, the more I ride, the worse its getting, ran the chain off my driven gear the other day, just getting the bike out of my shed, I was a little nervous about the size of this chain, its not as beefy as the original #415, apparently I may have been right, too much stretch. I'm going to check my clutch though, if I remember rightly, the pucks were getting worn the last time I had her apart, may need an adjustment .....

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Try a bearing supply shop.I have trouble getting chain and have to order it from southern States it's #25 and made out of same metal as timing chains for helicopters.There is a bearing supply shop up here in the city where I live that has the same size and pich but not the same metal.I have two spare chains with extra links and one used one that I use as a chain rasp tool for removing threaded sprockets

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Considering we the the heart and soul of Canada's energy industry (The Alberta Oilsands) with all the bearing shops ect, I have never ran into so many blank stares in my life, I may as well have been asking for for a big mac with large fries. Most of em have never heard of #415 chain, I adjusted my clutch and the problem seems to have gone away, but I think over the winter I'm ordering a box of #415 from down east, 2 weeks ain't so long when your facing six months of minus 25 to 40....

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Considering we the the heart and soul of Canada's energy industry (The Alberta Oilsands) with all the bearing shops ect, I have never ran into so many blank stares in my life, I may as well have been asking for for a big mac with large fries. Most of em have never heard of #415 chain, I adjusted my clutch and the problem seems to have gone away, but I think over the winter I'm ordering a box of #415 from down east, 2 weeks ain't so long when your facing six months of minus 25 to 40....
And our winter blasts come right out of Alberta to here in noertheastern Minnesota, the u.s. icebox. 63 below here in my local town a few years back. So, thanks for the crappy winter weather, Alberta! You can get the 415 chain from venders right here advertising on the forum. I thought the 41 chain was supposed to be better, no?
Silverbear