n00b question about wheels

GoldenMotor.com

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
rear wheel disk brake hub on a bike that wasn't designed for disk brakes? i want to upgrade to disk brake hub so i can use it to mount the sprocket. what to check for to make sure it fits?

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
wait, you need the disk to mount the sprocket? i thought you could just use the holes for mounting the disk to mount the sprocket. or is yours set up to use the rear disk brake as well?

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
is the axle width standard for mountain bikes or are there different sizes? aside from diameter and rim width, what other parameters do i need to specify when purchasing wheels?

Last edited:

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
be carefull there are 2 6 bolt disc patterns i have found. The wheel i tried with a disc brake mount the flange sat to close to the outer frame but this could have been just my bike or wheel as it works for azbill.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Woke late and didn't have glasses on and read "Nub question about girls" Might have been wishful thinking.

Post lots of pictures

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Good one Dan!
Also several companies, including my own, make adapters for disc hubs so that your chain alignment is right. Usually your sprocket is adusted in toward the wheel more than the disc would be.

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
where can i find more info on the adapter for disk brake hubs? i looked on firebellycycles.com and only the home page shows, all the links take me to an error page.

akeyma

Aug 31, 2008
Because I don't know much I can answer one of your questions that no one else seemed to.
While waiting for my new wheel bought a junker for $5.00 and put the rag joint on so I could ride. Wheel was too narrow after I shimmed axel wasn't long enough for my frame without bending it in don't want to do that for a temporary wheel.
Anyway, bike shop tells me there are five different width hub.

BostonBiker

Sep 4, 2009
Boston
standard MTB rear hubs are 135mm, and the standard rotor mount is the 6 bolt pattern... i've built my share of MTB wheels, for myself and others...