TN laws change .

GoldenMotor.com

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
I don't know if any are aware of this , but TN has some of the most restrictive driving laws around , and they got even harsher about a year or two ago ..there seems to be lots of confusion over this , here is what me and my friend found out.

now TN law states that any motor vehicle that is driven on the road and some off road vehicles not driven on the road must have proper tags and registration , this includes , motorized bicycles , mopeds , scooters ,e-bikes , quads ,golf carts and tractors , and only excludes police and state personnel.... so this means that state vehicles of all the above and the police departments new quads and e-bikes don't need a tag ....

also too that the above mentioned including a regular bicycle are not allowed on any 4 lane divided highway { that means with a median in the middle like highway 411 }, a interstate system ,or defense road.

if its under 50 cc's or under you must have a valid DL , if it is over 50 cc's you must have a motorcycle license,

all motor vehicles operated on the road must have liability insurance for $150,000 worth of coverage .

any bike including motorized ,if operated at night must have head and tail lights .

all bikes including motorized must follow and obey the traffic laws of the state , excluding state and police of course , this includes , no riding on the side walk , riding with the flow of traffic , observing traffic lights and stop signs .

Did i forget anything ?

soon it looks like in this state you won't be able to walk down the road without proper registration .zpt

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
ok i dug a bit deeper today , i talked to 4 different state /city officials when i tried to register my bicycle LOL, yeah they got a laugh out of it too ,the women at the county clerks office didn't know much more than it didn't need to be registered if it was a motorized bicycle , the DMV official and the state trooper knew a lot , the above fore mentioned is true , but it is full of grey areas ,

first off any vehicle driven on the road that has a motor , quad , tractor ,golf cart and motorized bicycle , you must have a valid DL , no DL your busted , revoked DL your busted , expired ,suspended you get the picture ..and of course you have to have a helmet on at all times and have lights if you ride at night ...

second the definition of a motorized bike is , a bicycle with pedals and a engine with less than 49cc's { that means 48 cc's or smaller } with less than 2 brake horsepower capable of traveling no more than 29 mph, and you don't have to have insurance either ,but ....... if you get clocked running 32 mph its a scooter , if you get clocked going 45 mph its a motorcycle , and you are busted for violation of registration and driving without a MC license and no insurance

third this is the good one , the cops in TN they know their stuff from school seminars they attend regularly , be fore warned they know their motors and grey areas , they know the 49 cc gx Honda has 2.5 horse power cause they asked specifically if i planned to use that engine , that it would be classified as a scooter due to displacement and power , and that wasn't all they knew they had checked into several motors , TN friendly motors are , Gx 25 and 35 cc motors , Subaru 25 and 35 cc motors , and of course the other 48 cc or less 2 and 4 stroke motors from other well known brand names like poulan , briggs and stratton etc.. was all they would guarantee you would not get busted for due to the motor , so i guess its ride at your own risk in my state ..

THINK THIS drn2 .....................................NOT THIS xct2 LOL CHEERSdnut

skateraffiliated

Nov 28, 2011
Kentucky
So what about interstate commerce laws. Say I live on the border which I do in Kentucky where I don't have to register etc. etc. what happens when I drive into Tennessee? I can't register it there because I don't live there. That's a confusing question? If this guy above is right that puts me in a pickle. KY law says not exceeding 50cc. If Tennessee says less than 49cc than I would be 1 cc over. Things that make you go hmm.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
achtung und ziek hiel
Vere do you sink you ah going mit zat 49 zee zee motorbike mine friend ?
I vood like to see your paypaaz please
you do have your paypaaz in order don't you mine friend ?
You know , it vood be very unfortunate if your paypaaz vere not in order .
very unfortunate indeed

Luietenung Verner , come here please
It would seem this fine upstanding young man haz left za paypaaz for hiz motorbike at home today
vood you please take zis young man down to level six und explain to him vy it is imperitive zat he carry his paypaaz on himself at all times

sank you , zat vill be all Luietenung Verner

Luietenung Verner !!!
ien moment please
I am in a good mood today
take him to level five .... und be gentle

Reactions: Do-Rag

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
you sir are not correct....
look in the motorcycle permit manual
yes you need a valid DL and a helmet but that is all

Motorcycle License

Motorcycle Operator (Class M) License
What is a Class M Motorcycle Operator License?

A Class M motorcycle license allows the holder 16 years of age or older the privilege of operating a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle over 50cc. The operator of a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle will need to apply for a Class M license (or XM license). These two and three-wheeled vehicles are categorized by cylinder capacity and other design features. Class M licenses (XM license) may be issued as a single license, or along with another primary class.

Applicants wishing to apply for a Class M license/XM license should obtain and read the Motorcycle Operator Manual which is available at all driver license service centers located throughout the state.

Any operator of a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle 15 years of age requires a special permit allowing the fifteen year old to operate a motorcycle with certain restrictions after completing the requirement established for a motorcycle license.

Anyone with a valid Tennessee driver license may operate a motorized bicycle that is 50cc or less and no endorsement is required on the driver license.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The speed limit is 30 mph on level ground. You can travel up to the speed limit going down hill. However it would be wise to make sure its a really steep hill. Automatic transmission are also required which means no manual clutch. What you can build is a motor driven cycle. There are lighting, brake, registration, insurance and motorcycle license requirements. You're allowed 125 cc, 5 HP and a manual clutch.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
The speed limit is 30 mph on level ground. You can travel up to the speed limit going down hill. However it would be wise to make sure its a really steep hill. Automatic transmission are also required which means no manual clutch. What you can build is a motor driven cycle. There are lighting, brake, registration, insurance and motorcycle license requirements. You're allowed 125 cc, 5 HP and a manual clutch.

it has to be 50cc or less and ONE single speed you can not change gears reguardless of style of clutch

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You are confusing a motorized bicycle with a motor driven cycle. They are two different things that's why the braking, lighting, registration, insurance, and motor cycle license are required. Many scooters, pocket bikes, etc. You can also build your bicycle to fall into this category.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
) Motor-driven cycle means every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor that produces not to exceed five (5) brake horsepower, or with a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding one hundred twenty-five cubic centimeters (125cc);

(35) Motorized bicycle means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks. I live in Oak ridge and never had a problem either but I do warn people to stay away from down town Knoxville because those bicycle cops will bust you if your bike is not in compliance. My brother and x brother in law ran into each other in Kodak. Both were hurt pretty bad. Yes they were riding like idiots. Knox county charged both of them with operating an improper vehicle on a public roadway. The judge said the bikes were improper because they had manual clutches instead of automatic transmissions.

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
then the judge needs to read the laws
not all cops know the laws correctly same goes with every other person in the courts even judges the law states single speed a ht motor without a shift kit is a single speed

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I only know of TC Title 55-8-101 (35) for a motorized bicycle, can you direct me to the law you're refering too? The main point is whatever category you choose to build your bike in be in compliance with your local laws and you shouldn't have a problem.

Willpower101

Oct 13, 2012
Uhnothanks
then the judge needs to read the laws
not all cops know the laws correctly same goes with every other person in the courts even judges the law states single speed a ht motor without a shift kit is a single speed
I'm pretty sure he just posted the law above and it specifically states tha ONLY vehicles with an automatic transmission are a motorcized bicycle. Manual transmission makes the thing a motorized cycle and subject to that set of laws. I'm sorry that this doesn't jive with what you've been told or whatever bike you ride around,however that does changes the fact that it's there in black and white and the judge was technically correct. (the best kind of correct)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My answer is to just make the thing fast enough to outrun Barny Fife. LOL! (Don't try this at home kids...)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Actually that doesn't sound too bad. All you need is a drivers license.

No registration
No insurance.

In most states any bicycle needs lights to ride at night.

Even though most CG motors have more than 2 hp proving it in court would be a different story. Same with the displacment. I doubt they're going to go to that much trouble if there's the threat of a court challange.