Question about shifter kits.

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I was curious if it would be possible using Jim's clutch kit and a proper gearing on a shifter kit to make a bike that can start from a standing stop and has a top end of just under 20 mph? The first part would be just handy. The second part is inspired by a post I saw on the Spooky Tooth forum by a guy who was pulled over in Tucson when he was doing about 15 mph and written up for the "big 3" by a cop who said he was going over 20 mph. Apparently the cop didn't have a radar reading so it is just his word against the riders. If I ever get into this situation I would very much like to tell the judge it just isn't possible. There are apparently some cops in this town who are gunning for MB riders for whatever reason.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Actually you don't even need the clutch kit to start off in first from a dead stop with a shifter kit. Just go. The only reason a I love the clutch kit is for the feel and smoothness, but again the stock clutch set up goes just fine without it.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I haven't installed my CE actuator yet, but I can start from a dead stop easily with the shift kit.

The only problem you would face is if AZ has stipulations about an auto trans. The shift kit turns it into a manual so you'd be up a creek. But it would be doable to gear to only do a max of 20 I think. Would likely need to be custom gears.

misteright has a good point. Just use a 50T or higher. You'll be able to start from a dead stop, especially with Jim's kit, and you'll max out pretty low.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I love that shift kit and hope Florida doesn't pass some stupid law like that.
Well some states do have "transmission" laws for two wheeled vehicles but our viewpoint is that the rear derailleur or integral shifter hub are part of the bicycle and actually came with the bicycle and are used while pedaling the bicycle. Transmissions are in motorcycles. We have motored bikes!!

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Also as far as I know, the law states that it cannot 'require' the operator to shift gears. The shift kit does not 'require' the operator to shift gears, it just allows the shifting of gears.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Just depends on your state really. I believe here it says it "must possess and automatic transmission" for a motorized bicycle.

If I had the money, NuVinci is going to be putting out a developer's kit for LEV's (light electric vehicles...also includes small gas powered stuff) that has their CVP, plus a programmable shift controller and actuator - so you can turn it into an automatic (And I think it still allows you to shift manually if I'm not mistaken)