Engine Options?

GoldenMotor.com

vonericson

Sep 28, 2013
Astoria, OR
So I'm looking to build one of these myself and my brother in law, my issue is what engine should I use? We live in a hilly area with estimated 40% grade streets. Problem #2 is my brother in law is a very large kid about 280 pounds and autistic (social disorder very capable of riding) but because of this he cannot get a drivers license so I'm thinking if I build a couple of these I can get him outside and active more often so he can start losing some weight for his own health he just cant handle petaling uphill, so I'm asking you guys what would be my best option for an engine?

BOYGOFAST

Sep 28, 2013
Citrus Springs Fl.
Got a 66cc ready to setup with a KENT cruiser bicycle automatic clutch and pull start and a solid billet aluminium sprocket attachment the engine is a Stinger kit.Good kit,follow these basic instructions.More Power More Brake.
OK,drop off the engine or dismantle it yourself mill +- .00120 the top end of the cylinder equal to 11.1 compression drill 4 or five 3/4'' holes through each of the two sides of the crankshaft counter weights the excess weight on each side removed reassemble.This will without question be the best setup without worries but the brakes are expensive you choose,OK ? don't forget the Nitril Rubbers !

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
go with something cheap, as he'll break it a lot

got a customer with both, severe turrets & a nasty OCD - took a year and a half to get him to ride safely without tearing it up or doing a bad mix on fuel - now there are few problems except that he sometimes picks at wiring till it breaks or wiggles clutch lever up & down till it snaps

be aware, it takes a LOT of patience

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Im not sure about Oregon but most states you have to have a drivers license to ride motorized bicycles. As far as engines, at 280 lbs I would go for a Harbor Freight 4 stroke because they have more torque that a typical 2 stroke.

vonericson

Sep 28, 2013
Astoria, OR
Thanks for the input guys, I haven't really thought about the license aspect of it, so I'll have to check on that. Regardless I still must have one myself this is way too cool to pass up building and as far as I know nobody in town has anything like it!

vonericson

Sep 28, 2013
Astoria, OR
Ok I checked out HF and I'm pretty set on one of these Predator 212cc 4 strokes but I have no working knowledge of the centrifugal clutch system. I searched all over and went through dead link, websites trying to sell me one already built or threads of race bikes and other "builds" with virtually no significant information given on how to even make such a creature work in the most basic format. Does such a guide exist? what parts would I even need? Do I have to use "brand names super shiny part of doom"? Is there a kit for the beginner to just get this motor saddled up to ride today?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ok I checked out HF and I'm pretty set on one of these Predator 212cc 4 strokes but I have no working knowledge of the centrifugal clutch system. I searched all over and went through dead link, websites trying to sell me one already built or threads of race bikes and other "builds" with virtually no significant information given on how to even make such a creature work in the most basic format. Does such a guide exist? what parts would I even need? Do I have to use "brand names super shiny part of doom"? Is there a kit for the beginner to just get this motor saddled up to ride today?
Going with a 212cc predator is a complete custom build that requires good amount of knowledge and fabrication skill, tools such as welder and torch.

My advice would be to go with a kit whether 4 stroke or 2 stroke if you do not have mechanical experience and a good amount of tools.

Best wishes on your new adventure.......

Map
.wee.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I agree with map, you want something simple. If you want him to climb hills, get a larger rear spocket, your stock kit comes with a 44T with the happy time motor as well as the 49cc grubee 4 stroke motor. everyone's opinion varies but I think a
50T sprocket would be a good choice. You have more acceleration/bottom end and mid range, but top end speed would be lacking. The 49cc 4-stroke kit would be an excellent beginner's choice although keep close tabs on that gearbox, those like to start slipping after so many miles.... The HT motors are also a great choice for a beginner and they don't hurt the wallet! Replacement individual motors are pretty close to a dime a dozen(about $100 or less from reliable ebay sellers, avoid the commonly talked about no-good ebay vendors discussed on the forum here). I think if you got a HT kit for him and ran a larger rear sprocket, he'd be climbing hills and loving the thing, that way if he breaks it, it's cheap enough to fix/replace. So, to start out, I'd start as basic and cheap as possible, and once he's ready THEN level up to a more expensive rig such as the 99cc or 212cc Predator on a nicer bike. It's a leraning curve for all of us, It will surely brighten his day! Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I agree with map, you want something simple. If you want him to climb hills, get a larger rear spocket, your stock kit comes with a 44T with the happy time motor as well as the 49cc grubee 4 stroke motor. everyone's opinion varies but I think a
50T sprocket would be a good choice. You have more acceleration/bottom end and mid range, but top end speed would be lacking. The 49cc 4-stroke kit would be an excellent beginner's choice although keep close tabs on that gearbox, those like to start slipping after so many miles.... The HT motors are also a great choice for a beginner and they don't hurt the wallet! Replacement individual motors are pretty close to a dime a dozen(about $100 or less from reliable ebay sellers, avoid the commonly talked about no-good ebay vendors discussed on the forum here). I think if you got a HT kit for him and ran a larger rear sprocket, he'd be climbing hills and loving the thing, that way if he breaks it, it's cheap enough to fix/replace. So, to start out, I'd start as basic and cheap as possible, and once he's ready THEN level up to a more expensive rig such as the 99cc or 212cc Predator on a nicer bike. It's a leraning curve for all of us, It will surely brighten his day! Best of luck to you!

Ditto......!brnot

vonericson

Sep 28, 2013
Astoria, OR
Fantastic thank you all this is the (pardon the pun) kick start I needed, I do have a fairly long fabrication background but currently no access to equipment outside of my garage that sadly lacks 220v outlet so my welder has been collecting dust for a few years. I think Donavan has the right idea at the moment just so I can get some working knowledge of how everything works together as a unit. On that note my final questions will be this, with all the different options out there for sellers, does anyone recommend a vendor in particular? and ones to avoid? possibly even a kit thats widely given the "thumbs up"?

lenny9651

Apr 7, 2013
florida
i use grubee kits and i've never had a major problem with them. i used a flying horse on my last build and i found that the parts, assembly, and quality control were inferior to the grubee

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ebay vendor rose326 and mingsinternational have been said to have very good quality kits, a member here on the forum has purchased 20+ of their kits with excellent results.

Hard to beat that deal at $140.00 free shipping right to your door and plus I have heard they have excellent customer service as well.

Could be a good option for you, personally im not a fan of the Grubee kits, not fond of how they do business and the fact that internal parts arent as available as for the PK-80 type engines.
Map
reddd

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Ebay vendor rose326 and mingsinternational have been said to have very good quality kits, a member here on the forum has purchased 20+ of their kits with excellent results.

Hard to beat that deal at $140.00 free shipping right to your door and plus I have heard they have excellent customer service as well.

Could be a good option for you, personally im not a fan of the Grubee kits, not fond of how they do business and the fact that internal parts arent as available as for the PK-80 type engines.
Map
reddd
That's me! Over 25 kits still running with only two bad coils. (replaced free)
Good kits at the best prices. Why pay for a fancy website when all you REALLY want is a good running kit?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just did a search and found rose326, user has 0 items for sale and mingsinternational does not exist
Dont know what your looking at but yes they are both on ebay and they have a full list of parts of many types and plenty of the engine kits silver and black engines
Ill post a link here as soon as I can get to my computer cant get copy and post to work with ebay on my smart phone for some reason.

Map

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
It's Rose326a not rose326 lol.... rose326a and mingsinternational are both the same seller, Aaron Chen. He sells very good motor kits and has a great customer service/fair warranty service. Over 6 kits/motors purchased from him. I also lik e PCC motor aka motor99motor. Not trying to promote/advertise vendors here, just my experience. GREAT quality HT motors come from these vendors.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
It's Rose326a not rose326 lol.... rose326a and mingsinternational are both the same seller, Aaron Chen. He sells very good motor kits and has a great customer service/fair warranty service. Over 6 kits/motors purchased from him. I also lik e PCC motor aka motor99motor. Not trying to promote/advertise vendors here, just my experience. GREAT quality HT motors come from these vendors.
Thanks for the correction, after I went to the ebay page I realized I had forgot the a at the end of rose326a.....lol!

I haven't bought from either myself but plan on getting a couple kits from them in the future for a couple builds I plan to do and put up for sale locally.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That's me! Over 25 kits still running with only two bad coils. (replaced free)
Good kits at the best prices. Why pay for a fancy website when all you REALLY want is a good running kit?
Lol! I knew it was you maniac, but didnt want to mention names figuring if you wanted to say you would chime in when you found the post.

Map
reddd

vonericson

Sep 28, 2013
Astoria, OR
Awesome and thanks for all the great feedback! I think I'll give the 80 a shot, swapping out the OEM carbs right away same with plugs, air filters and finally rounding off with a nice little tune pipe and gearing down with a smaller sprocket for a bottom end boost then I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope they will stay upright pulling hills! If nothing else it should be a fun learning (slightly expensive) experience for myself and my brother in law.

Quick side note, I got my hands on a wrecked Yamaha 750 (totaled front end) for dirt cheap and I've got my eyes out for a used trike bike that I have some insane plans in the near future for and possibly a laydown recumbent racer concept I'm working up in AutoCAD I'll keep posted as I update these!