Looking for a 48T Freewheel Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
I'ver searched around, and found old posts with outdated weblinks, so I would like some input from other members.

I'm building a gas bike that's chain powered, I'm using a big 80cc 4-stroke engine, so I'm going to use a 24-inch Solid Plastic 7-spoke wheel with both left and right hand freewheel threads for strength. Only problem is that Staton sells only a 16T freewheel for this bike wheel.

However, to get my required gear reduction, I'd prefer a 48T freewheel, and want the ability to pedal without rotating all my chains and centrifugal clutch while the engine is off or idling.

This would be my 2nd motored bike, I'm not interested in a kit, I'm going DIY the whole way, and want a more reliable ride than before.

So who would have a good 48T freewheel sprocket setup for the planned wheel?

Thanks

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
I'm wanting to finish this bike soooooo bad, just not sure exactly how to get the right wheel/sprocket combo I'm looking for.

Last edited:

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Try this freewheel:

But I think you might have to modify your 48 teeth sprocket to fit the freewheel. Probably just drill 4 holes to match the freewheel.
Now I've seen that freewheel before online.....

Does that freewheel go on the LEFT side of the wheel? That 4-hole pattern is common and easy to get go-kart sprockets for, however I'm sure that is for a right-side wheel sprocket.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Now I've seen that freewheel before online.....

Does that freewheel go on the LEFT side of the wheel? That 4-hole pattern is common and easy to get go-kart sprockets for, however I'm sure that is for a right-side wheel sprocket.
Grubee makes a similar universal freewheel that is left hand threaded to fit their rear hubs. I'm not sure that it will fit the Staton wheel/hub you are using though? Bicycle Engines, Motorized Bicycles, Bicycle Motors, Motored Bikes: 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Kits! sells them and I believe just recently got them back in stock.

ocscully

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
another seller in Ebay for a freewheel on the left side:
FREEWHEEL Rear Axle kit for bike bicycle engine kit Item number: 300271314429

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Grubee makes a similar universal freewheel that is left hand threaded to fit their rear hubs. I'm not sure that it will fit the Staton wheel/hub you are using though? Bicycle Engines, Motorized Bicycles, Bicycle Motors, Motored Bikes: 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Kits! sells them and I believe just recently got them back in stock.

ocscully
I'm wondering the same, if the 48T from bicycle-engines will thread on to the staton wheel.

I emailed them, but still waiting for a reply.

Thank You,
ZnsaneRyder

Nashville Geoff

Jul 29, 2008
another seller in Ebay for a freewheel on the left side:
FREEWHEEL Rear Axle kit for bike bicycle engine kit Item number: 300271314429
I just ordered the 50 tooth freewheel hub... What's a good source for 12 guage spokes? Are the lengths standardized for 26" 36 spoke wheels? Thanks, ~Nashville Geoff