Replacing throttle grip - what is stock size?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Save yourself the aggravation of trying to put a 7/8 on a 1 inch- it's tempting because regular bike grips come in more variety and color- on our flimsy platic throttles especially there's a good chance you'll just break it, or tear the grip.

but then so do twist grips and assembllies- some have been posted here through the years- don't really have a line on any myself- but you can get some nice alloy and metal assemblies- usually a bit pricey compared to our plastic things- I think the throttle casing might be nice in alloy, but I think you usually need a separate kill switch

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I've been using Grab On Grips and love 'em. They're the dense foam type, they make both bicycle grips (both 7/8") and motorcycle/atv grips (one larger for throttle). They have several styles to choose from. Check 'em out at www.grabongrips.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Wise choice dumping those hard kit grips, I started replacing them 50 builds or so ago with nice soft BMX foam grips.

I saved a dozen or so of the left side ones for dog toys and the rest just go straight to the trash.

They come in a couple different packages from the bike store.
The $8 package has 2 sculpted grips and end plugs.
The $12 package has the same pair plus 2 long ones. One long one makes 2 grips.

To replace the obnoxious hard throttle grip remove the throttle barrel and just cut the grip lengthwise with a razor knife starting at the inside hand stop.

Size the soft foam grip to the throttle barrel and cut as needed with the cut side facing in.

Soak the foam in some hot soapy water for a few minutes, put the throttle barrel on the ground with the end facing up, then just 'milk' the foam grip on to the barrel leaving ~1/4" from the cable hold so it clears the throttle housing.

The barrel has lateral spines and when the soapy water dries the grip stays in place and the difference in how you feel the road is nothing short of amazing, hence why every build gets them now, a world of difference in riding comfort for just a few bucks ;-}

Last edited: