New Here

GoldenMotor.com

DrewFL

Mar 25, 2012
Boca Raton, FL
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and motorized biking. I have a lot of experience with small engine stuff, 4-wheelers, jeeps, etc. However I am new to this motorized biking stuff. I am planning on starting a build in the next 2 weeks or so. I am not going to be able to use my car for the next few months and with gas going up anyways I figured this would be a good project for me. I have a K2 mountain bike I am debating about using for this project. I am torn between than and one of a beach cruiser style. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!dance1

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
DrewFL: Probably your easiest bike build would be to use one of the 66cc Chinese engine kits, I did and I have no regrets. I used a old Huffy 26" mountain bike. I started my build just before winter (Michigan) and I was able to put about 50 miles of great riding fun on it before it got really cold! I run it in the country on all mostly dirt roads, so the mountain bike was the best choice for me. Now that winter is over, I am again continuing to work on my build, by adding fenders, double pull brake lever, and an improved chain tensioner. I suspect that you will be running on mainly pavement in your location, so if it were me, I would build a Cruiser bike. You'll have fun with a motorized bike, I do, and I have about four motorcycles! BMF

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here are my guidelines for building:

1) Predominant riding terrain.
2) Primary rider's physique.
3) Lookup and read local legal requirements.
4) Type of bike.
5) Budget.

Stay within these guidelines and you'll have a bike you can enjoy riding. Good luck with your build. In your state you can either build in electric assist or mopeds classification. Manual clutches, over 50 cc and shift kits are illegal.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard D,

I can almost guarantee you will have a lot of fun with the MABs.
They are GREAT!

Cheap, easy to work on, very economical to operate, and a downright challenge from time to time! lol

I would advise you use the mtb, principally because it has front and rear brakes.
Very important because a motor assisted bike is like going downhill, all the time!
Coaster brakes are downright dangerous.

Setup depends on your personal riding style.
Some folks are intense, others, well, less so...

I'm a proud member of the 20mph club, and a devoted Gutter Rider, so the cruiser styled bikes are more comfortable for me.

Take everything off a beach cruiser and put it on the MTB and you're in like flint!

Big seat, comfortable bars, fat tires and front suspension all make a significant improvement.

I'd advise a chinagirl kit just because they are so darned cheep!
They are fun, quite serviceable, and could be challenging at any point in time. lol

Good luck
rc