Things I Hate About Riding My Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Re: Things I Hate About Riding My MB

What you're riding is a bicycle, not a motorcycle. Whatevery speed you're traveling you should be far enough off the side of the road that drivers of cars will have no trouble passing you. If you're not, you are the one at fault, not them for wanting to pass you.
Depending where you are you can actually be in the same class as a 50cc scooter. If you are on a scooter and traveling the speed limit, then you are perfectly fine in the middle of the lane. Actually, best place to be is the far left of the lane...that's the safest spot for motorcycles and other similar vehicles.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas

I don't condone violent behavior. Ever get hit in the face by a drinking cup 1/2 full of ice? All I meant is protect yourself if needed. My first choice is to get away as fast and as safely as you can.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008

... make a marble cannon on your bike and be prepared to shoot when needed.

Maximo
Is there a design for this anywhere? Not that I plan to build one. Just call it ... intellectual curiosity!

LargeFilipino: Anarchy book? Banned? You don't happen to have a photoscaned pdf version sitting around on your computer do you?

;-)

Brenton

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

What you're riding is a bicycle, not a motorcycle. Whatevery speed you're traveling you should be far enough off the side of the road that drivers of cars will have no trouble passing you. If you're not, you are the one at fault, not them for wanting to pass you.
And what if you are on the right as far as you can go and they still feel the need to pass you to close, because they can't wait for the traffic to clear enough to do it safely. Sorry but in mind bike powered or not are like pedestrians. No matter how stupid they act it is the Automobile driver's responsibility to pass them safely. I still drive a car now and then and I have never 'pressed' a bike rider even before I had a bike again. It's called defensive driving.

MyPC8MyBrain

Aug 1, 2008

I hate smelling like 2 stroke exhaust. I've started killing the engine at red lights.

I think im going to start building my own pipes... make them ALL exit past the back of the bike. Dang chineese try to save 14 freaking cents worth of pipe.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

I hate smelling like 2 stroke exhaust. I've started killing the engine at red lights.

I think im going to start building my own pipes... make them ALL exit past the back of the bike. Dang chineese try to save 14 freaking cents worth of pipe.
Yeah I had that issue too.

I think the short pipe is the default because anything else isn't a 'one size fits all' kind of deal.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest

Recently FaceBook revamped it's look and it would be a good place for each of us to have that MotorBicycling web site showcasing our own personal interest in motor bikes. What it could do when we hand others that biz card with our screen name and URL to our FaceBook sites is to serve in the public education process and raise awareness of the public regarding people who harass motorcyclist, motor-bicyclist, or adults & kids on bicycles in general.
FaceBook has hoards of younger people active in it and many of them are economically predisposed to motorize a bicycle and ride it to class or work.

I've noticed the way Harley Davidson has over the years organized it's owners as a "family of nice people". (to form a much more moderate & cleaned up image of the brand name than what the "Chopper Gangs" built for it. It attracts a market of those with the money to afford a new factory fresh machine and present a public image for them that isn't so "outlaw".

But for now, we can be our own best, "nicest people on a motor-bicycle" showing the public that 200 mpg is possible and we'll even show them how. (just follow the link to motobicycling com in our individual web sites) We can link to Utube where many videos already exist for them to watch. (much of the work is already done)

I recently purchased a small cam corder (think Flip cam) that plugs into the USB2 port to upload the video to Utube. I've seen so many Utub videos of motorized bikes where the rider litteraly took the viewer along to show what it was like. You can see the road, instruments, and hear the rider's narritive. Of course if I see harassment coming up behing me I'll simply click the cam on and get a photo of the driver as he crowds me and as he passes get the shot of the rear of his license number. I'm fixing to mount a piece of white vinyl siding I cut out of scrap behind my license plate to have a 1 inch white boarder around the plate to draw attention to the license. (such that motorist will realize it is a licensed motorized vehicle)

If we can begin to position ourselves in the public view as icons of hope in dealing with high fuel cost we could begin to get the public sentiment behind us. The other day I told a curious person that I had hoped to save enough money riding the motor-bike each year to either pay for or greatly offset my winter heating fuel cost. It made a believer of him instantly. When he inquired of the cost of the bike, I explained that in a couple weeks of normal driving (as I would the
car) that I'd save enough to pay for the motor-bike. He suggested I just build bikes like mine and offer them for sale so folks could purchase them from me who weren't "smart enough" to build them could just buy one, lean to operate it, and get in on the savings. I told him that in the past that I've had a bike engine supplier offer me large lots of engine kits to sell but I didn't know if there would be people wanting them..... gas was just over a buck a gallon back then,
but since the fires of $4 a gallon motorizing a bike started to really make sense.

Last edited:

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL

just gotta get this one off my chest . i take my bike to work like to many others except my dog is in a trailer behind me , he loves the ride, anyway the same person three workdays in a row has passed me at a distance of about 2mm. while at the same time only being about 10 feet max from a stop sign and cuts right in front of me brake checks me and yells while hanging out the side window get the f-bomb our of the road. now this goes way beyond the normal car thinking im in the way its my belife that he is jeprodizing my personal safety. license plate has been reported to the local athority for irratic driving three days hopefully that will be enough for them to remember him and give him a spook. and i thought to myself what type of person has a grudge against a grown man on the side roads going the speed limit on a bicycle anyway. not an enviromentalist hes in a body lifted jeep with what sounds like a chevy v-8 under the hood cops like descriptions like that takes if from neddle in a hay stack to ......how about that guy.(finger pointing at body lifted v-8 jeep)

helldogg

Aug 6, 2009
brooklyn newyork

That i agree with and i have tryed to let drivers pass but sometimes i will have people that seem to just want to drive on the side of the road where i am in fact it happened to me today i was riding and i had a car get so close that i almost went into the park side cars and im sure that has happened quite a bit to many riders

torcity

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lol, today I almost was taken out by a weedwacker at the side of the street. I was just motoring along to school, (about a 35 mile round trip so I do 30 the whole way), on the shoulder, when some guy cutting the edge of the grass beside the shoulder looks up, lifting his weedwacker to head level, literally as I am 5 feet from him, I almost put the damn thing down trying to avoid it, I missed the spinning wire of death by inches......scary

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

Just happened-

I'm coming home, and coming up on the last interesection before my block- It's often got cars pulling out and so I'm nowhere near top speed- maybe 20-

just shut the top fuel valve and ready to kill the motor and coast the 1/2 block-

Stupid woman in a big SUV comes around slowly- I'm in a bike lane to the right otherwise, and she clears me with her right signal on just before the fricking intersection-

then proceeds to turn right in front of me

So I have to get on the brakes and slip around her by getting over into the traffic lane

I think purposely- Like I was really slowing her up or something, which was not the case since I was over in the bike lane and she should have yeilded in behind to make her turn, and maybe been slowed down 2 seconds

I really DO NOT much like american heterosexual women. Glad they are not MY problem......

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

I hate when cagers don't let me into the left turn lane.

I hate when cagers feel the need to yell when they drive by.

I hate when cagers gawk and match my speed when I'm trying to get into the lane because a bike lane ends.

I hate when cagers make right turns and cut me off.

I hate when cagers don't use blinkers and let me assume they're going straight.

I hate when cagers realize I'm going as fast as they are and they feel the need to start a pissing contest and speed off for no reason at all.

Ya know what? I hate cagers.

And guys wearing spandex on touring bikes.