Why is 48cc more powerful than 66cc

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
reason the 48cc is more powerful is these motors where not originally made for bicycles. the 48cc was made for high revs. the larger motors where made for power to carry heavy loads.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
fastest i ever had a 50cc go on flat land was 36, the same exact setup with a 66cc got me to 44, anyone who thinks the 50cc is more powerful than the 66cc has probably ridden a 66 with something wrong with it. Ive put together almost 20 bikes now of both displacements and there's no question whatsoever that the 66cckit has far more POWER than the 50cc. Note that i said power, this has nothing to do with gearing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The ONLY subsitute for cubic inches...is more cubic inches. That old rule has stood for many years and still holds true today. Take any two engines, no matter the performance enhancements and the one with more displacement will produce the greatest power. Its actually a fact of physics that cannot be altered.
Please don't augue that the new generation, high output , turbocharged, injected and computer controlled, small displacement 4 bangers will out perform, say, a small block (350 CID) Chevy. Put the same power producing equipment on the little Chevy motor that you have on your 2 liter rice burner and the bigger displacement engine will win...every time. Let me reiterate...The only subsitute for cubic inches, is more cubic inches (or CCs)
Okay...I'll just sit here and wait for the storm to build.
Tom

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The ONLY subsitute for cubic inches...is more cubic inches. That old rule has stood for many years and still holds true today. Take any two engines, no matter the performance enhancements and the one with more displacement will produce the greatest power. Its actually a fact of physics that cannot be altered.
Please don't augue that the new generation, high output , turbocharged, injected and computer controlled, small displacement 4 bangers will out perform, say, a small block (350 CID) Chevy. Put the same power producing equipment on the little Chevy motor that you have on your 2 liter rice burner and the bigger displacement engine will win...every time. Let me reiterate...The only subsitute for cubic inches, is more cubic inches (or CCs)
Okay...I'll just sit here and wait for the storm to build.
Tom
Right on right on right on..........!
I used to build some pretty stout small block chevys back in the day and it's a fact that more cubes = more power when set up properly, maybe that's why in top fuel they dont use nitro methane injected 4 bangers or V6's thats a big Duh.....!

Sorry folks, the 48cc engines we are dealing with here will not out power & torque the 66cc engines when they are both set up correctly and comprable in the carb. compression, gearing and exhaust, it just wont happen unless you got a real dog of a 66cc engine that is a lemon from the start.
The 66cc engine is nothing but a big bore 48cc for the purpose of having an engine that has more power than the 48cc, it's made for doing what the 48cc does but only a little better from the extra power it provides.

2door is 100% correct here......!

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I think the foot scooter motors smoke the bike motors for lunch. I know I hit 42 with my 49cc, and I dont even have to peddle off the line or at the top end. ;) (dont have 'em)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I think the foot scooter motors smoke the bike motors for lunch. I know I hit 42 with my 49cc, and I dont even have to peddle off the line or at the top end. ;) (dont have 'em)
The comparison to what you are talking about here would be like taking an engine out of a sport bike the runs 150mph and putting it in a 1/2 ton pickup truck......it wouldnt do much.

your motorized skateboard has small tires & wheels which are much easier to pull, you have much less weight overall and a little higher reving engine, but take that motor you have on your foot scooter and put it on a 26" mountain bike with a 36T final drive sprocket and then put it side by side with a good running 66cc china girl that will get around 40+mph with this setup and you will be very surprised with how much better the 66cc china girl will pull that bike compared to the 49cc engine on your foot scooter.

foot scooters with 49cc engines and 26" bicycles with tuned 66cc china girls are not apples to apples.

But on another note, I would love to have a board scooter like the one you have if it will do 40+mph I can see how that would be a lot of fun, and dont get me wrong here I have nothing against foot scooters at all, I plan to build one for myself in the future.

Happy safe riding all.......!
usflg

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes they will, and the 46cc (CY46 / GP 460) is also made in China and powers my stand-up foot scoot up to 52mph and it's a single speed. The fastest I've ever a motorized bicycle single speed up to is 45mph....quite a difference. The accelleration is like night and day...the little scoot will smoke the bike hands down...PERIOD.

And there still remains no replacement for dissplacement and that's a fact, as Tom (2door) was sayin'. Power is power and speed is speed, don't confuse the two!

Accelleration is another story.

Last edited:

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
The comparison to what you are talking about here would be like taking an engine out of a sport bike the runs 150mph and putting it in a 1/2 ton pickup truck......it wouldnt do much.

your motorized skateboard has small tires & wheels which are much easier to pull, you have much less weight overall and a little higher reving engine, but take that motor you have on your foot scooter and put it on a 26" mountain bike with a 36T final drive sprocket and then put it side by side with a good running 66cc china girl that will get around 40+mph with this setup and you will be very surprised with how much better the 66cc china girl will pull that bike compared to the 49cc engine on your foot scooter.

foot scooters with 49cc engines and 26" bicycles with tuned 66cc china girls are not apples to apples.

But on another note, I would love to have a board scooter like the one you have if it will do 40+mph I can see how that would be a lot of fun, and dont get me wrong here I have nothing against foot scooters at all, I plan to build one for myself in the future.

Happy safe riding all.......!
usflg
heh,
Actually my scooter is heavier than most bikes, only revs to 8000 tops, has a 26 inch front wheel, and my rear wheel gearing in 3rd gear is a bit taller than 36t on you mt bike ;)

If I put the CY46 scotto mentioned on it, I'd hit well above 60. xct2