GT1 Build By Blow By U For Customer Pete

GoldenMotor.com

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
OK just un thread both of them and the put them back on one at a time and this is not a hassle we are both learning together you are learning how to work on this and I am learning how to teach you it is a WIN WIN

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
Still no luck....

The drum and the sprocket (white arrows) are touching.... or at least i cant slide a piece of paper between them.... and I cant spin them off/on separately or together... i have also loosened all of the retaining bolts (red arrow)... still nothing.... I rewatched your video and you definitely had them separate putting them on... and threaded them clockwise?.... any more ideas?... or do you know a good place to start adding some good old fashioned "Persuasion" to that drum or sprocket to make it do what i say? Thanks again Terry

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
WOW! just got it... nailed the chain to the ground... wrapped it around the sprocket.... and it did what i told it.... looks like the sprocket loosened itself into the drum and locked itself up a bit.... Thanks for everything guys!

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
LOL sorry I didn't get to you sooner glad you got it was just like you said the got locked together and needed a little nudge and that is just what you did. There is a difference from yours to mine that is mine is a free wheel but they are still the same the both thread on mine will free wheel but yours will not and that means that yours can thread its self off if there is resistance like you brake dragging. Try to not spin your wheel backwards when you are ajusting the brakes

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
New problem... FML!... All put together and looking great.... chain is all aligned and I fired it... there is something going on with his gear box.... you give it throttle and it when it engages it just "SNAPS" and then starts working.... the chain isn't hopping on sprocket teeth.... explored a little more and the 11T is free wheel in both directions and then when this snap occurs... it isn't freewheel going backwards (as if it were engaged)... I'm not sure how this 11T even works.... anyone seen this, or have any new ideas?

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
had a new kit... checked the 11T on there... it is free wheel in only one direction (which makes sense).... took the nut off and, it just slid off..... the one on the motor (being used) when i take the bolt of... the 11T is still on... i even tried prying it off..... its like it's still bolted on... but it isn't

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
We had the exact problem the other day when I built the GT1 and we figured it out to the chain needed to be broken in just make sure the chain get plenty of lube. I have had only one problem with the 11 tooth free wheel so far and that was the key that holds it in place shered off and it just had to be replaced.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
To remove the 11 tooth when you having trouble is by wedgeing a screw driver in behind the 11 tooth and then wedge a larger and larger untill it pops off

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
Yeah, I tried the wedge thing too.... little different method... used the largest wrench i had... even tapped it a little with a hammer... it is on there pretty good....

anyway... we have it running... it’s doing great.... seems a little slower than the ones i’ve ridden... i’m “guessing” 25+mph.... the others i “guessed” 35+mph... it didn’t give me that “oh $%#@ I’m going too fast" feeling.... and I was wondering if there are any general tune-up or part suggestions.... like with the two stroke how you should pretty much just NOT use their spark plug.... or move the clip on the carb needle, etc..... Thanks for all the help guys....

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
Terry,

I asked you a while back about swapping the sprockets on the GT1 and GT2..... I’m not wild about this 44T that came on the bike (i need some hill climbing ability, and an easier time getting off the line).... but now that i have one in front of me, i understand a little more how it mounts.... it looks like it attaches with only five bolts.... and if I were to swap the sprockets, I could mount it with only three bolts (at least they look aligned) on the nine hole 50T that comes with the kit.

As for my previous question dealing with sprockets..... shouldn’t a smaller sprocket be slow off the line and not do as well on hills.... but go faster? and larger sprockets faster off the line, conquer hills, and go slower?

Just want to make sure before i go breaking something that works

Thanks Terry

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Hi hunter yes you can do that with the sprocket put the 3 bolts in and the drill out the rest and use washers. I have the proper sprocket available if you want them. Yes more teeth faster start slower top speed and smaller is slower of the line and higher top speed. I can get you a 10 tooth non free wheel and a 48 tooth for your HD axle. That would give you engine braking or no free wheeling and a top speed of 31 MPH but when you pedal your turning the rear sprocket and the chain and the T Belt right up to the clutch bell but it will be much more like a motor bike.

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
One last question (for today haha).... It is recommended that you change the oil after 10 hours of operation the first time, or EVERY time? I thought it was every time, but then I saw some stuff about every 50 to 100 on another thread.... what’s your opinion?

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Thanks Bill I have been told the first ten hours and every 50 hrs after that which I seem to remember that adds up to just about the same thing that Bill said and you will be safe

Last edited:

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
good to know... thanks guys... I got every 10 hours into my head somehow, and really didn’t feel like doing it once a week.... 5200 miles! still no problems? that’s awesome! what sprocket did you say you are running again... wasn’t it something super high bill? I was thinking about going from my 44 to the 50, but considering just buying something a lot bigger, but thought i would check with you and see how you like yours and how fast you can go..... thanks again guys

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
Worksman, were you talking to me? The brakes work fine, but you can get a decent new pair of pads for less than 10 bucks.... and I looked on the web and found new ribbon brakes for 18 bucks.... but I’m pleased with my stopping power, once it’s dialed in, straight out of the box.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
u/ all too.
I thought more needed to be replaced - brake handle, handlebar stem, etc

Was the replacement handle bar stem adequate, or did you replace it?

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Worksman,

I bought a GT and the dealer gave me a replacement stem, which is plenty strong. Nothing else needs replacing and the brakes will throw you over the bars.