delmar vs cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
i've narrowed it down to these two bikes for my first build....the delmar is more expensive...is it worth it?...if so,why?also with these two bikes,is there any issues with the brake arm hitting the bolts on the sprokets...thanks for any help,everyone has been so helpful alreadycvlt1

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I personally think the delmar and the cranny are the same when it comes to quality. Im pretty sure they are assembled at the same factory(correct me if im wrong). I chose the cranny for my first build and glad I did. Cranny's are less than 100 bucks, you cant beat that, unless you look for bikes on craigslist.

I really dont think there is a difference in the two bikes.

If I could do my first build all over again I would of spent the extra funs on a decent bike, not one from walmart. Check your local craigslist for bikes. there are always GREAT deals there. If not wait a couple days and im sure one will pop up.

If you do go with the cranny and have some questions, let me know and I will help you out.
Yes you will have to bend the break arm to clear the nuts. Its not hard at all.

~tcams

Last edited:

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
I can't really comment on the cranbrook but I was in exactly the same situation as you about 3 weeks ago when I looked at the same two bikes at my local Walmart and ended up buying the DelMar. My decision was based on preference, not a noticable quality difference. I liked the black look better that the champaign colored canbrook, I like the Schwinn brand better than the Huffy brand based on experieces with bikes long ago (I am sure quality is equivelent today), and the DelMar had a rear rack and I wanted the to mount the gas tank on a rear rack.

I have been very pleased with my choice of the DelMar for my first build. The build went together quickly and easily. The only challenge was fabricating a front motor mount I was happy with since I didnt want to drill the frame. I had no issues with the coaster brake arm hitting the sprocket or bolts. The only thing I had to do while mounting the rear sprocket was to trim the coaster brake dust cover so the sprocket fits over it and onto the hub. It took less than 5 minutes and then the sprocket fit perfectly. Other folks have instead enlarged the center hole in the sprocket but trimming the dust cover seems to be a lot easier and cleaner.

Below is a pic of my build that I just finished a few nights ago (bad cell phone picture). I have a few clean up items left such as shortening the cables, etc but she is running great.

Bottom line is there have been lots of builds on both so you will be just fine with either bike. Pick the one you like the best and get on with the building...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
nice delmar and cran...tcams....im 6 ft tall...will the bike be cramped for me?....if so i guess a laybck post would work.
macattie,
The lay back seat post will help more than you can guess. The Del Mar, Cranbrook, Point Beach, Jaguar and Southport are all very similar in length. I have two Jags and I would'nt go back to riding them without a lay back post. The further back, the better. I go 7 inches and it feels perfect. Oh, I'm 5'11".
Tom

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
No it will fit you just fine. Im 5 `10 so 2 more inches would be alright. a layback seatpost is on my list of things to buy..

Your going to wanna re grease both front and back wheel bears on either bike. When they assemble them they just slab it in there.

I just my dust cap with sizzors and it did the trick.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I can't really comment on the cranbrook but I was in exactly the same situation as you about 3 weeks ago when I looked at the same two bikes at my local Walmart and ended up buying the DelMar. My decision was based on preference, not a noticable quality difference. I liked the black look better that the champaign colored canbrook, I like the Schwinn brand better than the Huffy brand based on experieces with bikes long ago (I am sure quality is equivelent today), and the DelMar had a rear rack and I wanted the to mount the gas tank on a rear rack.

I have been very pleased with my choice of the DelMar for my first build. The build went together quickly and easily. The only challenge was fabricating a front motor mount I was happy with since I didnt want to drill the frame. I had no issues with the coaster brake arm hitting the sprocket or bolts. The only thing I had to do while mounting the rear sprocket was to trim the coaster brake dust cover so the sprocket fits over it and onto the hub. It took less than 5 minutes and then the sprocket fit perfectly. Other folks have instead enlarged the center hole in the sprocket but trimming the dust cover seems to be a lot easier and cleaner.

Below is a pic of my build that I just finished a few nights ago (bad cell phone picture). I have a few clean up items left such as shortening the cables, etc but she is running great.

Bottom line is there have been lots of builds on both so you will be just fine with either bike. Pick the one you like the best and get on with the building...

hey thats how i mount my tank lol stop bitin my style lol

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
macattie,
The lay back seat post will help more than you can guess. The Del Mar, Cranbrook, Point Beach, Jaguar and Southport are all very similar in length. I have two Jags and I would'nt go back to riding them without a lay back post. The further back, the better. I go 7 inches and it feels perfect. Oh, I'm 5'11".
Tom
what diameter seat post does the del mar and cranbrook use?,they come in diff sizes.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
My local walmart sells both. The Huffy has better fender mounts if you are going to keep the fenders. The Huffy's are round and more sturdy than the stamped steel of the Schwinn. The Schwinn has the rear rack, which is stylistically nice, though it's supports are not of the highest strength either. The Huffy has the annoying as **** angled beach cruiser handlebars that I cannot imagine can possibly be good for your wrists to attempt to grip. The Schwinn has normal level handlebars. Both are heavy and have crappy quality components.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I was in the same situation when I was planning my build of the Andian. It finally came down to buying the Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser on Walmart.com because it already had the black handlebars and black frame. The Delmar is a gray frame and the black engine would have pointed that out quickly and I didn't want to re-paint the frame. I like my Cranbrook and it may have better fender MOUNTS but, the fenders are not anything to write home about, IMHO.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was in the same situation when I was planning my build of the Andian. It finally came down to buying the Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser on Walmart.com because it already had the black handlebars and black frame. The Delmar is a gray frame and the black engine would have pointed that out quickly and I didn't want to re-paint the frame. I like my Cranbrook and it may have better fender MOUNTS but, the fenders are not anything to write home about, IMHO.
Very very nice. I like that bike. It has just enough classic lines and style. I like the colors too. Not sure how you feel about that saddle however. My wife bought me one about a year ago so I felt compelled to use it. It's like riding on a rock compared to my other seats. Looks great though and especially on your bike. Good work.
Tom

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I hear ya 2door!!!! I hear ya!

I went on a 30 mile ride last weekend and I KNOW exactly what you are talking about. I'm eyeing up a Bontrager Cruiser seat. It has a lot more padding. But, it's black. I'm thinking of swapping out the saddlebags for black ones like what they've got at WalMart in the small motorcycle section. They're a little more expensive but, they're a little bigger too. AND they'll match that seat that I will be getting!

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
thanks for all the input..i went with the delmar...it is grey with black fenders and after i put the cran and delmar side by side...the delmar is several inchs longer,which ,in my case, is more comfortable...i'll be buying a layback post to begin my build and start from there....im in no hurry and i will take my time and pay attn. to detail....im already modifying my fender bracketsbrnot