Tuned pipe exhaust leak ideas

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I'm getting an exhaust leak from where the head pipe slips over the manifold stub. Tried wrapping the stub pipe with the yellow Teflon tape and that lasted about 5 miles and blew out. Was thinking of wrapping it in tinfoil next.
What would be perfect is some kind of a high heat O-ring where the head pipe sits against the exhaust flange.

Today was the first time I was able to really ride after installing the tuned pipe a few weeks ago and let me tell you, if you have any doubts as to whether a tuned pipe adds power IT DOES! Before the Teflon tape let go I was cruising at 29-31 on the flats and uphill grades that usually dropped me down to around 20 I was holding steady at 27 all on a standard 44T sprocket. :D

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Is this a pipe you bought, it shouldnt be leaking. If its a manufacturing defect can you send it back? Anyways auto stores sell a muffler repair type tape that with stands the heat. Can it be touched up by welding it or brazing it?

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Ive seen aluminum duct tape on new housing construction ducting, maybe home depot or lowes. Its real aluminum foil with a sticky backing.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
No it's leaking where the stub pipe on the manifold slips into the head pipe and the spring hold the two parts together. It's kind of a sloppy fit, if I had a swaging tool the right size I'd just swage the manifold stub to fit into the head pipe tighter.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Ive seen aluminum duct tape on new housing construction ducting, maybe home depot or lowes. Its real aluminum foil with a sticky backing.
DOH! I have three rolls of that at work. That stuff is duct tape for the 21st century! laff

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The kit supplied tubing has worked out well so far, prob with the aluminum tape is I figure the adhesive would cook off?

You could clamp over it I suppose... I unno, I don't like how the tubing looks - but I sure like how it works lol

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yeah - ok I see now :) but that part of the SBP's manifold is (literally) identical and on mine there's a 2"ish hunk of high temp silicone tubing pressed over the junction w/o a clamp or anything. If you look close at my pic you can just see it and another right next to it (another fitting) under the springs.

The only one with clamps is the third, from the head pipe to the chamber itself - none leak at all :D

Last edited: