My Bike Won't Start

GoldenMotor.com

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
I bought a kit on ebay for like 150, and put it together. Finally I finished after about 4 hours. The first mistake I made was I put the oil in the tank first and then the gas. I guess the carb got pure oil before I pulled the cord and flushed it out. I can't get it to start still. I got it to back fire. Is that a good sign? Is it possible that the engine has a hole and the pressure is leaking.

When I go down a hill to try and start it it sounds like it is Running but it will die as the bike slows.

The CDI cable doesn't seem to fit to the spark plug correctly
It doesn't have the black cap at the top of the Cdi Cord that attaches to the spark plug.
:-||

It does spark because i shocked my self when i was holding it to see if it did.

Perhaps I don't have the wiring right

blue to blue
black to black
yellow/red killswitch toblue
green kill to black
is that right?

thanks

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
[QUOTE="nathan33]

The CDI cable doesn't seem to fit to the spark plug correctly
It doesn't have the black cap at the top of the Cdi Cord that attaches to the spark plug.
:-||

It does spark because i shocked my self when i was holding it to see if it did.

Perhaps I don't have the wiring right

blue to blue
black to black
yellow/red killswitch toblue
green kill to black
is that right?

thanks[/QUOTE]
Your wiring colors are correct but it sounds like you are missing the spark plug cap.
Also cap the white wire off.

How are you attachng the wire from the CDI to the plug?
A pic would help but I think you need 4 posts before you can do that.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Post some photos of your engine. I'll approve them regardless of your post count.

I agree with MBR in that you don't have a good electrical connection to the spark plug.
We usually suggest to get rid of the kit supplied spark plug boot and replace it with an automotive type. That will require a new spark plug or at least one with a cap on top instead of just a threaded post.
Get back to us and post a photo if possible.
In the mean time drain your fuel tank and carburetor and start again with a fresh batch of fuel and oil mixed in a separate container and shaken well before filling your bike's fuel tank. Don't use the recommended 16:1 ratio. That's too much oil. Go to 24:1 and you'll be good.

Tom

Motors for Bicycles

Sep 22, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
No, don't start over. It's rare that one of these engines can't be coaxed onto working.

There should be a spark plug cap in the spare parts / toolkit shipped with most engines. If yours came with one - put it on with a twisting motion.

Most engines ship with the ferrule on the tip of the spark plug where the wire attaches. Your wire will probably not clip onto it. Remove the ferrule by screwing it counter clockwise. They can be tight. Take care not to crack the insulator. If you do, change the plug.

Make sure
- the fuel valve is in-line with the fuel line, either up or down;
- the choke lever is all the way up; and
- try to start it again.

If it still doesn't start, move the choke lever to the half position and re-try.

Good Luck!

PS: 2door is right that a higher ratio of fuel : oil can be used. I follow the company line and use 18:1 when breaking an engine in, and 25:1 until it's out of warranty. Check with your dealer whether they'll honour the warranty if you use the higher ratio.

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
I contacted the supplier and they sent me a new CDI box
I installed that and it has the rubber cap on the top which the last one didn't have. so it fits a little snugger. also you were saying that the plug should have a cap and not just the threads? mine has only the threads. Maybe the spark is not starveling all the way through
here are some pictures of my setup.
I will try the new oil mixture too 24:1
I am only 14 so this kind of stuff is a bit tricky

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
some how they got sideways but oh well!
my pedal hits the side of the engine when i pedal just a little but that shouldn't make a difference right?

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
my chain is a little lose but i can take it to the shop and they will cut a link or tow if i need it!
that wouldn't stop it from starting would it?

Motors for Bicycles

Sep 22, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Is there someone local who you can ask for help? Maybe a teacher for auto shop or a neighbor? Someone with a mechanical aptitude would be a great help for you.

The thread should be showing on the spark plug, before you put the wire from the CDI on.

Your pedal can't hit the side of the engine, not even a little. You need to change the cranks, and the bottom bracket on the bike. This takes special tools that cost about $20. It may be cheaper to get another bike rather than trying to change this.

The correct chain tension is important. If it's too loose the chain can come off and get caught in the spokes or on the frame. If the chain's too tight, it can pull the wheel sideways. Either one can cause you to get hurt. If you can't tighten the chain enough with the tensioner, take a link out.

You can do this without a chain break tool. Put the chain over a vice open just enough for the pin to slip through the jaws. Use a punch or a nail and a hammer to tap the pin out. You can also do this on a concrete floor. Use a small nut that the pin will just slip through to start, then add a second or third nut as the pin starts to come out of the chain. It doesn't take a lot of force, just tapping it will do.

Your best choice would be to ask someone local to give you a hand. You might even be able to trade some of your time for help at a bike shop.

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
what happens if the pedal hits the motor? will that stop it form starting?
I may start over which is a bummer because it took me like a month to save the money and buy the kit!
any other help anyone?

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
well I finally got it running!
apparently there was a piece missing on the inside that someone told me about so i got th piece and vuala
thanks for all the help

SoldierBoy

Feb 5, 2014
United States
when you poured to much oil into it the carb sucked it in you can either open the carb up and clean it or i have a much easier idea take the spark plug off set it down some were and peddle with the clutch on to air it out

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
when you poured to much oil into it the carb sucked it in you can either open the carb up and clean it or i have a much easier idea take the spark plug off set it down some were and peddle with the clutch on to air it out
Not really a good idea. It has been proven that spinning the engine with the spark plug wire disconnected (plug not grounded) can cause CDI failure.

We did some experimentation on this last summer and found it to be true. Admittedly it did not occure every time we tried it but in one out of three tries we fried the CDI.
Other members have also experienced CDI failures due to a faulty spark plug boot.

Never mix your fuel/oil in the bike tank. Always mix in a separate container and shake to mix before pouring into the tank.

Tom