The easier I go, the more I enjoy!

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
So it's now been more than FOUR years- I can't believe it.

My first 66 build- otherwise fast and smooth as silk- and by NO MEANS an unpeddable clunker- has sat in the corner of the back room for 4 or 5 months now virtually untouched-

I'm out on my second build all the time instead- the 50- just a bit lighter, just a bit more peddable, and just a bit more quiet-

Tired today after being ill this week- but the weather broke into sunny and 80 here today after raining alll night- more cool weather this week though-

So I was debating if I should even take the 50 out for coffee today-

I did, and kept it even more low key than usual- and thoroughly enjoyed myself- even went out of my way coming home-

gets me where I want- and still quicker than my road bike in my prime (and if it weren't for hypertension and arthritis- I'd probably be doing the better part of a hundred miles a week just peddlin.)

Feel VERY within the limits of it all, and more relaxed feeling safe. I get into the upper 20's on stretches- but don't worry about making time cutting corners quickly.

mostly stock stuff, except the 700C wheels on the cruiser frame- no fuss, no muss- haven't had to fuss with it beyond a sticking carb float a few months back-

just goes on and on and on....

I LOVE this thing!
brnot

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I totally agree. I'm usually just enjoying the cruise. When I look at the speedo..I'm anywhere from 24 to 28mph. My bike just loves those speeds , and I rarely have to work on it...which leaves more time to ride.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
You totally understand motorized bicycle cruising. It's not about where you are going, how fast you can get there, or even getting there. It is about the ride. Plan and simple. When I was 14 I got my first motorcycle. My brother and I spent days riding up and down the road in front of the house. Going nowhere, just taking turns riding. Now all these years later the same brother and I are riding up and down the same road on motorized bicycles going nowhere just injoying the ride.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I to feel that is the best part just riding. There's lots of beautiful thing to see here in Tennessee. Often I ride at peddle speeds and just assist up the hills. I really love riding out by the lake. Motor biking meant I didn't have to quit riding just because I had heart surgery.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I totally agree. I'm usually just enjoying the cruise. When I look at the speedo..I'm anywhere from 24 to 28mph. My bike just loves those speeds , and I rarely have to work on it...which leaves more time to ride.
The acclimation phenomenon is interesting to note, the faster you can go often leads to going that much faster as a matter of course, then you get used to it and need to be able to go faster still to feel as if you're going fast at all...

When I made the transition from gasbike to a basic ebike, I thought I would despair at the significant loss of speed, the ebike being 25-30% slower than my average gasbike... and at first I did - with time my perspective shifted and now once again "24 to 28mph" seems like blazed lighting, I just rip the turns harder if I feel a need for a "rush" lol

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
I also agree with this. Yesterday was the first time I've actually gone out and enjoyed just the ride. Usually I'm pushing to see how fast I can go or test riding to see if something needs to be adjusted or worked on. But yesterday I went out and just cruised around the neighborhood.

It's not the same experience as trying to go as fast as you can, but I feel like it is equally thrilling just being able to ride around with no worries and simply enjoy the surroundings.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I'm hoping to boost my mpg by 50-100 miles when my bike is converted to a gas electric hybred. That would mean 250-300 mpg. I use a 96 oz see through tank. Building in such a way as to get lots of riding time. Yet still be in compliance with my state laws ( Tennessee ).

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I enjoy just cruising about 25 mph. At that speed, nothing will vibrate loose and cause me to break out the tool kit on the roadside. I like to tinker in my garage, but not on the sidewalk.

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei
20 mph is my sweet spot. Just hit 603 miles today, about two months after building my first motorized bicycle. Frankly I do a lot of mountain roads and coming down them, coasting, 23 mph is about as fast as I ever care to go. I have a very sturdy mountain bike frame, all new axle bearings and brakes...but anything over 25 mph under power or not does not feel comfortable. But I can understand wanting more speed if one lives on the flats.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here in Tennessee there's hills you can coast to over 40 mph. I much more enjoy cruising along and just seeing the sights around me. That's why I try to avoid busy roads.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Ever since resurrecting my gas bike with a Morini, I find that I want to be able to cruise to avoid uneccessary tension between me and the community, and this motor is like an on-off switch since I'm still tuning the clutch. In reality for me, the noise of going fast, or sounding like I'm going fast at 15mph is more stressful than the actual fact of going fast. On certain bikes the mass or damping takes the scariness out of the speed, but I see why people choose four stroke for the mellower sound. I always feel like his gas bike will anger someone enough in my town to complain, so I don't ride it at weird times of day or at night.

Being able to get up to cruising speed quickly enough without sounding like a GP start would be a plus, but I guess its unavoidable without some lower gearing and a sacrifice of top end. You can't have it all with one gear, lol