Quick question

GoldenMotor.com

dreadlord69

Aug 28, 2012
Philadelphia Pa
Ok, I am doing a rebuild, but the gasket that sits below the cylinder was lost. Which brings me to my question can I use a liquid gasket there? will it hold to the compression on an 80cc Chinese happy time. Any replies would be appreciated.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i would probably get gasket material and a razor blade and cut my own gasket. i only tried the liquid gasket once and it made a heck of a mess

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's possible to lap the joint in by careful use of grinding paste between the barrel and cases, so allowing you to use a gasket paste, but you'd have to be sure no grit went inside the engine for a start and clean it all off after doing the job. Then there is also the question of altering transfer port timing because the barrel will sit a small but measurable bit lower than it did.

You don't have to have the part from your supplier though. There is a gasket material supplier in most towns that will sell an appropriate sheet you can cut to fit.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
A new base cylinder gasket costs around $3. So instead of spending all that money, you want to Mickey Mouse something that will probably leak? :confused:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Not necessarily Mickey Mouse, I have friends who do all that hand finishing as a matter of course, but as you say, why bother with learning the hard way when bits are cheap?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
for me,the need to cut gaskets is quite often,working on obsolete things.
that and getting gaskets for these things doesent involve a ten minute drive to the local parts store.
i have never had any trouble with my hand forged gaskets.
the trick is to use the correct material for your project.
when purchasing,explain you need fuel resistant gasket material.
i never checked,but i'm sure there will be something on youtube for cutting gaskets.
i could go on about various methods,but it would take a lot of typing.
if it doesent exist,i will put something together.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm waiting for someone to tell him to J-B Weld it. :)

Actually I've done several using the method suggested by Ludwig. The gasket surfaces must be clean and flush with each other and a gasoline compatible sealer used. I've never had one fail yet. The difference in cylinder height with or without a gasket isn't enough to worry about compression or port timing. Not on these little Chinese 2 strokes.

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The difference in cylinder height with or without a gasket isn't enough to worry about compression or port timing. Not on these little Chinese 2 strokes. Tom
Try it an a 4 stroke with a lumpy camshaft.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I know this. I've had East European 2 strokes that needed to phone the cylinder head, the pistons were that far away.