WOW ! I thought I was on my own...

GoldenMotor.com

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
awesome builds.the diesel project is interesting.
wish i had the time,11 vehicles in the yard that all need attention,cant seem to keep up.
going to have to quit saying yes to repairing other peoples stuff.
throw in 9 acres grass to cut and its usually a busy summer.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Why not add 2 L of fuel to the 2L of mixed fuel, so the 18:1 becomes basically 36:1 (close enough to 32:1).

Why not prime the carb with the better mix? When it starts from the primed carb, it should run the rest of that out of the line.

For three days now I've been trying to start the thing, the next plan is to bin the 18-1 premix off off and go for a premix of 30-1 ! Ye gods me legs are propper knackerd an the rest of me has turned to jelly...:-||

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Dougy you asked about spark plugs, NGK runs the best in both of my engines. Most members here run the b6hs, I run the bp5hs which is one step hotter with the extended tip. I bought a champion that interchanged from b6hs and it ran very bad, I put the old plug back in and it ran normal again. The link below will help you get her going. Good luck

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35090
Nice one Greg, I've gone for the NGK B6HS plug, I noticed its a couple of mm longer the the OE one that came out but nothing hits an that will do for me.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Why not add 2 L of fuel to the 2L of mixed fuel, so the 18:1 becomes basically 36:1 (close enough to 32:1).

Why not prime the carb with the better mix? When it starts from the primed carb, it should run the rest of that out of the line.
Yeah mate thats my plan (ish), I've mixed up 5 L of 18-1 so I'm going to add 3.3 L of petrol and that should make it 30-1, I hope it goes soon :-( today I've cleaned out all the old fuel and drained the carb (again !) I read on here that the plug should be gapped to 28 thou which I now have and I've a great spark, I've also kicked it over loads now to clean out the last of the 18-1 fuel, Thursday is my day off and we'll see what happens with the new fuel !

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I'm moving to a bigger house, and don't want to buy a riding mower. So I"m going to make a 30" mower deck out of angle iron and sheet metal, and move my engine and wheels to it, add a bicycle trailer hitch, and pull it with my motorized bicycle. ;-)

Uncle Salty

May 2, 2012
Central Mich
Welcome Dougy-- From what I've seen so far there are thousands of us, and I hope that keeps growing, Thanks for steppin up and being a part of it all--Uncle Salty

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
nice mowerized bike.
i'll stick with my riding mower and tow behind.29 combined horesepower.
off to a bad start though,ran it out of gas on the first round.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
One trick is to put the choke on open the throttle and try to start as normal then stop and check for a wet plug, on one of mine which has the nt carb I have to have the choke lever all the way up and open the throttle to get it to hit. I thought it would get better after breakin but after about four tanks thats still what she likes. As it warms up I lower the lever.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
No, still cant start it and I've now put me back out trying, but I have a cunning plan... It pops and bangs like it wants to but everytime I nearly get there I have to stop cos I'm so bloody knackerd I've done a good few miles of trying now an tried loads of the usual tricks to get it going but the truth of it is I'm just not fit enough to get it started at the mo so...

When I was at Aintree classic bike sprint last year I spied the racers using a gadget like this to get all kinds of bikes going from big twin Vincents right down to race tuned Bantams.
I did look to buy something of Ebay to do the job but the electric starters on there go for over £700. With this gadget I've made You just jack up your car and lower it on the rollers, then start the car which turns the rollers, an put your bikes back wheel on them to mechanicaly bump start it, I'd proper love it to work cos me ticker cant stand any more pedeling !

When my bad backs a little better I cant wait to try it, whats the worst that can happen ?

Scaffold bar-free
4 X wheel bearings- £28
3 metres of 50mm box section £24
2 metres of 19 mm solid bar £7.
saving my legs from pedeling all over Crossens...... £ priceless

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Cheers Dan I'm sure I'll get there one day........like your sign off says, I've a warm smile, a clenched fist......me backs not to good though after fighting with this bike though lol, two out of three aint bad though...
:-||

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Are there no hills where you live? No starter fluid? For all that, I'd buy another carb first, and get the upgrade.

If you finish welding that up with a 3rd roller and adjustment provisions, you'd have a might fine bicycle trainer. Maybe you can sell them as a side business.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
YYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!
I've had a devil of a time getting this thing to run so I built some starting rollers ( my mechanical legs ) they worked perfectly, my mate Belinda came around on his Triumph and ran it at 7000 rpm on the rollers which is equal to about 70 MPH at one point :lol: and after half a days messing about I think I've got the carb, clutch and ignition settings just about right, I let it cool right down and it started up really easily off the pedals....I'm so bloody chuffed I cant tell ya!!!!

click on the pics , there videos :)
click here to watch

click here to watchdance1

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Good to hear you got her going, how do I know its a female? She was hard on you! Let us know how it runs for you.