Noob Needs Help with Replacement 2 Stroke

GoldenMotor.com

Kgerity

Apr 2, 2012
ohio
Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your responses=)

My question is more situational, but any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I purchased a 2 stroke 49cc kit off ebay from boygofast (or one of his other alias'). Everything with the kit seemed fine, didnt have too much trouble setting it up and getting it running. It ran for about a day before something catastrophic happened in the bottom end. We believe the main bairing someone fractured and little metal balls escaped into the bottom end doing extensive damage. So much so that there is actually a deep scratch in the side of the piston and cylinder. The engine is basically toast and i guess i got what i paid for because the kit was only about $150. My delima is this: I want to purchase a replacement motor, NOT a whole new kit. I have all the parts and they are fine, i just need a new engine. I dont really want to get another crappy china girl, but if theres a reputable place where they take em apart and check em out, id go there. Ive also been reading about the Huasheng 142F. Im really interested in it because its a honda clone, but i cant seem to find a vendor who sells ONLY the engine. Im wondering, can i just drop in a 4 stroke engine with the 2 stroke kit parts? I really have soooo many different options i dont know where to go from here. Ive also been playing with the idea of a pocket bike motor back rack mounted, or something similar.

Basically im a mess :p I need help choosing a direction to go! I have all the parts from a 2 stroke center mount kit less the engine. Should i buy a replacement engine? If so which one? 2 stroke versus 4 stroke? and if so from where?

Sorry for the length, again i really appreciate all the help!

Cheers!

Kgerity

Apr 2, 2012
ohio
I should mention i am really going for reliability and low maintence. Im a noob gear head and i can't handle re building the engine every time something goes wrong :p I want to commute with this bike too, everyday if possible.

Again thanks so much!!!

Kgerity

Apr 2, 2012
ohio
Thanks so much for your reply! And the good link.

I am definitely going to tear down the china engine - if anything just for fun and experience. But 4 stroke seems like the more reliable choice for what i want to do with it.

Again, many thanks!

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
Check out the Jet engines. ( Piston Bikes) Great engines with good bolts too. I got a jet kit around Dec.2011 and it was a PK80, from Piston bikes. High quality japanese bearings, longer bent clutch lever for eazy pull and are no longer being imported to the USA. Piston sells just the engine too.

Kgerity

Apr 2, 2012
ohio
Thanks Hoze=) From what i've read it seems japan manufatures are making the good stuff? Anyone know of any other engines with japanese bearings/other components? I know of the few biggies, but are there smaller companies using their engines/parts?

Thanks again!!!

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Unless your getting old products I think all of the engines have the bearings now. If you didnt do something to mess it up (bad breakin), you just got a screwy motor ( very possible), or just bad luck I wouldnt toss the whole idea in the can. A new 2 stroke is just over a hundred bucks man. Great opportunity to learn, have fun, and solidify your understanding of the hobby. Trust me you can mess up a 4 stroke just the same as a 2 :)

I am a newbe to this whole thing too but very mechanically inclined and very thourough in what I do. I posted a newbies experience in this market thread you may want to read. In addition to the other comments I posted the link I gave you is one distributor I forgot to mention in thepost. I did a peliminary review of them by calling ad emailing and they would of been a company i would of purchased from but they just didnt have any kits at the time. They were very helpful, knew the product, and involved in the market.

A link to that thread: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38018

Last edited:

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
do you think you could open a dispute with bgf for giving you a defective engine?
there is defenetly something wrong with the engine he gave you.
it cant hurt to try,you can still go ahead and buy another engine.
also for a 4 stroke harbor fright sells a 212cc or 99cc 4 stroke for around 100 dollars,
but they would require to buy extra stuff for those engines to make them work on a bike.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
do you think you could open a dispute with bgf for giving you a defective engine?
there is defenetly something wrong with the engine he gave you.
Well that is a huge leap to take without knowing anything about details. it may be as simple as that or it could be something else. Excitement to get the motor fired up certainly has toasted many :) In experience has fried a few more... Zimmerman or Trevon???? hmmmmm...

It may also be just the clutch or something simple who knows?