WHich engine & where - total newbie

GoldenMotor.com

baloo

Sep 18, 2008
Sycamore, IL 60178
Been kinda lurking for a while and think I want to make the jump, however am confused with which engines.

I see references to china engines in the forums as well as a couple manufactures I don't know where to get. Think I probably am looking for a kit, but even that is confusing. 48 cc or 80cc (probably 80).

What is the difference in the manufacturers. First I thought about an 80cc from SpookyTooth for $250, now i see BikeBerry for $150 and BiketoMoped for $299. What is the difference to cause the price fluctuations?

I did awhat I thought was a pretty good search, but if there is a faq or other thread, or even kit supplier I need to look at, please point me there.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The engines are all the same, no matter what claims of superiority are made. If a seller can't explain HOW OR WHY their kits are better, they are just blowing sunshine up where the sun don't shine.

Sometimes (usually) the cheaper engines have cheaper components and skip on things like left handlebar grips, different quality sprockets and exhausts, and chaingards.

Some like thatsdax F80 SUPER MOTORIZED BICYCLE ENGINE KIT MOTOR MOPED !! - eBay (item 230310705384 end time Dec-07-08 15:17:01 PST) have much better components and seem to run smoother and have an overall better look and feel.

BTW- thatsdax is one of few (the only one?) who claims the 67cc engines are 70cc's, all others "pump it up" and say they are 80cc's. Don't be fooled by that, they are all the same.

Livefast motors is another good one.

Some have had decent dealings with boygofast on ebay too.

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
The engines are all the same, no matter what claims of superiority are made. If a seller can't explain HOW OR WHY their kits are better, they are just blowing sunshine up where the sun don't shine.

Sometimes (usually) the cheaper engines have cheaper components and skip on things like left handlebar grips, different quality sprockets and exhausts, and chaingards.

Some like thatsdax F80 SUPER MOTORIZED BICYCLE ENGINE KIT MOTOR MOPED !! - eBay (item 230310705384 end time Dec-07-08 15:17:01 PST) have much better components and seem to run smoother and have an overall better look and feel.

BTW- thatsdax is one of few (the only one?) who claims the 67cc engines are 70cc's, all others "pump it up" and say they are 80cc's. Don't be fooled by that, they are all the same.

Livefast motors is another good one.

Some have had decent dealings with boygofast on ebay too.
Well said Joe. I have had three and the only difference was a couple small components. Thatsdax is the smoothest running for whatever reason.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
If I buy my next motor, it will be from the dealers who I see that are active here on the forum, They seem to more supportive then the ones that have just a low price.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Yes, sometimes a cheap kit looks like a steal and an expensive kit might be high quality. You don't always "get what you pay for". That is why you need to educate yourself on who are the best dealers and who has decent engines. Buyer beware...