Everything else except an engine...

GoldenMotor.com

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Could someone give me a list of everything else that I need to have a Motorized Bike, excluding the engine and the bike. I might be able to customize some of the parts for free, for example: i could make a chain guard out of some scrap that I can find just laying around.

I am on a tight budget, and I need your help. Although, I would like to have a jackshaft (is that possible to custom make?) and a tuned pipe? What is a "tuned pipe" btw and how much efficiency and/or HP will I get out of one?

As you can probably tell, Im trying to be as cheap as possible, but still have a really efficient ride and possible performance.

Thanks.

.cs.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
kits are pretty cheap imo and give you everything you need. i don't think it's worth it to customize things especially for you first build. most sites wont ship to CA and many are located in CA so no shipping cost, so a good china kit being like $180 isn't a bad deal imo. tthings i can think of are a sprocket, an exhaust pipe a throttle a clutch handle/cable, a chain, a tensioner, carburetor is what i can think of right now.

Last edited:

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Here is the engine... Sears Companion 100cc
This is not the bike I will be using, this is my mountain bike...its too nice to mount an engine on it.

What kind of speed can I get out of this thing?

Should I get a jackshaft or run it somehow directly with bike crank assembly?

Or should I get a single sprocket, if yes then how many number of teeth to get close to max speed but still have low end torque?

Where can I find the parts that I need for a reasonable price?

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Where'd you find that engine? I've heard of Sears but never the "Companion." It must have been before the "Free Spirit" days, or was that J.C. Penny?

It looks pretty big. Cops will more than likely bust you if it says "100cc" on it and you don't have your "Papers" in order. But your engine is truly a nice find.

You can find a 2 stroke kit for under $150 with everything you need (Except bike, gas & 2-smoke oil) included.

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
What is the limit on engines in California?

Would cops really pull me over even if I would take off that sticker and make it look smaller by putting the gas tank somewhere else?

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Cops pull people over all the time, legal or not legal. If you look like you're having too much fun, you'll probably get pulled over.

I believe, but you should verify, that the limit is 50CC.

Of Course you could always pull the sticker off and have "48cc" stamped on the engine somewhere obvious.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Cops pull people over all the time, legal or not legal. If you look like you're having too much fun, you'll probably get pulled over.

I believe, but you should verify, that the limit is 50CC.

Of Course you could always pull the sticker off and have "48cc" stamped on the engine somewhere obvious.
according to bairdco anything under 250cc is legal in CA (i think thats the number he said), but a horsepower restriction is imposed instead.

reading the posts he made in the thread im thinking about he had to have done all the research in depth, so i'd trust him on that one.

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Thanks for the replies. I found the engine in my school auto shop btw.
From what I understand: I need a clutch, a drive sprocket, a #415 chain, a wheel sprocket. But I still don't know what size wheel sprocket I will need to cruise at least 40mph.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This is a 124cc that powers two people at 30 - 40 mph. EZM tranny with centrifugal clutch, geared 10t to 60t with #41 chain. Just some food for thought.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Jeeze! and i thought my Morini looked huge!
That things large by gigantic.
PLEASE consider a china girl kit.
You could most likely sell that engine and re coupe most of the cost while getting all the extra parts required.
At first, I wouldn't worry about an expansion pipe...
that comes later.
You can find nice kits for $160 to 180 bucks ready to install.
leave the snow blower engines alone!
good luck.
BBB

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Jeeze! and i thought my Morini looked huge!
That things large by gigantic.
PLEASE consider a china girl kit.
You could most likely sell that engine and re coupe most of the cost while getting all the extra parts required.
At first, I wouldn't worry about an expansion pipe...
that comes later.
You can find nice kits for $160 to 180 bucks ready to install.
leave the snow blower engines alone!
good luck.
BBB
when i made my original post i didn't realize what type of motor he had, but based on his picturs i think maybe hes going with a friction drive system?

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Looking at that sears engine sitting on the paint over sprayed garage floor bought back some very pleasant memories for me.
Way back when (Mid to late 60s) My dad took me to stock car races in New Jersey.
(they used real "stock" cars back then)
He was a member of his buddy's pit crew, I was thrilled to be allowed that close to the action, sitting on a pile of used up tires , munching hot dogs and watching the guys thrash to get the car back out.
One of the things I remember most was a "pit" bike used by one of the guys on the crew...
It was an up right Briggs and Stratton 3 1/2 hp engine,With a huge looking centrifugal clutch that was mounted mid frame on a steel plate welded to the bikes frame with a crude left side drive V belt running a pulley that had been rag jointed to the rear hub.
The guy had fashioned a widened crank to clear the engine, its exhaust was made from old 3/4" brass water pipe and fittings.
On the 27" wheels skinny tires and with the brakes of the day that beast was a real handful.
But it was the bike that inspired me to get into this hobby....half a century and dozens of motor bikes later I still remember that bike and the pride its rider had in building it himself.
Never mind what i said before, if that's what you got, and your determined to do it... do it.
Remember, were theres a will theres a way...
Just don't get in over your head on the first build, less it spoils the experience for you.
I might HUMBLY suggest a well thought out kit for your first attempt...
Think about it, Good luck, keep it shiny side up...
BBB

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Well said.

Trust me, when there's a will... I will find a way. Thats why Im on this forum asking for tips and help. Im pretty determined to use this engine. I just got to find the right parts for the right price. Ive already found a centrifugal clutch for $30 and a #41 chain for around $12. I just need to find the sprocket assembly that attaches to the wheel. Any tips on where I can find that?

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Well said.

Trust me, when there's a will... I will find a way. Thats why Im on this forum asking for tips and help. Im pretty determined to use this engine. I just got to find the right parts for the right price. Ive already found a centrifugal clutch for $30 and a #41 chain for around $12. I just need to find the sprocket assembly that attaches to the wheel. Any tips on where I can find that?
Great... that's the ticket...
I'm assuming you want to try a in frame mount.

First, I'd try any one of the available 4 stroke type engine mounting plates on the market, they clamp to the frame at the down tube and seat tube, even if your engine is to wide you can use an adapter plate to mount it to the engine plate.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-10337746512064_2138_2069543
The large plate in the fore ground is what im talking about.
EZM Silent Drive 4 Stroke kit (Free Ship)
Or try to make one yourself.

Second, that motors so wide your going to need widened cranks to clear the engine.
Id try Sick Bike Parts extra wide cartridge type crank spindle.
Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle
You cant skip this part because you wont be able to peddle with the engine in the way.

Third, Kings sales & service or Pirate cycles make a great rear hub/sprocket mount that bolts around the rear hub its self and not to the spokes, with a 100cc engine you had better have a concentric sprocket or its going to tear its self apart.

Fourth, CHAIN LINE! Is the out put sprocket on the engine going to line up with the rear wheel sprocket?
This is also a function of the engine mounting plate, by moving the engine left or right you can attain a decently straight chain line to a certain extent, but look out for the peddle arch and drive chain clearance past the tire and frame seat stays on the way to the wheel sprocket.

The vendors on either side of this message have what you need or just looking at the parts might give you ideas on how to proceed.
Good luck...
BBB

Last edited: