"The Bat Tank"

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've been trying to train myself to think outside the box for years now. It must be working. I intend to make an in-frame tank for the Higgins build, but the space between the top tube and the middle tube is rather narrow. Not much more than 2 1/2" at most. Room for only the slenderest of tanks.

I just don't feel like a slab sided tank. I like the look of the Evans Powercycle's tank, and the bulging curves of the old Indians, but that's hard to fabricate.

So I'm cruising in a mart cart in K-mart and I pass by Sporting Goods. And I see the aluminum softball bats. And my subconscious wacks me with one. Most of them are 2 1/4" diameter, with varying lengths and varying places where they begin to taper. Most of my work would be done for me.
So here's my question: anybody ever make a gas tank from a softball bat before? And: any reason it wouldn't work, if done right? They are made to take a beating too.

Last edited:

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
hmmmmmm well anything would work if it was done right......only problem that i could forsee is aluminum welding........from what i understand most of those ball bats are pressure forged.......but if you have the setup go for it.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
hmmmmmm well anything would work if it was done right......only problem that i could forsee is aluminum welding........from what i understand most of those ball bats are pressure forged.......but if you have the setup go for it.
I was actually thinking delicate, careful brazing, rather than trying to learn how to weld aluminum (I've never welded anything). But if somebody here knows aluminum well, I'm open to the voice of an expert. Or even somebody who's worked with aluminum more than me and learned a lesson.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It sounds like a stellar plan my man! (^)
Thank you sir. May I ask: if it were your tank, would you braze or weld - as far as the fittings and mounting hardware goes. I'm just curious how you would handle it. I want to have a good plan before I even buy a bat.

[P.S. - I have a backup plan if the bat won't quite work. I'll keep the bat, for when my daughters get to be dating age and strange guys start coming 'round at odd hours...]

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Allen,
I think the bat is a great idea. The problem is in what you're referring to as 'welding'. Aluminum is much different from other metals, so you can't silver solder it, for example. There is a stuff called alumarod (Ithink that's what it's called) which you can use with a propane torch. It is imperative when using this stuff to prepare the surfaces with a stainless steel wire brush (usually comes with the rods) as something like steel wool or a steel wire wheel will contaminate the area you're trying to join and it simply will not bond. I have little experience with this, but it might work. If you google aluminum welding rods you'll find a lot more information on this and some video stuff that makes it look easy as pie. Maybe it is. Hopefully it is.
If you wanted to go another route, if you had everything ready (cut off to the length you want, a piece of aluminum to cap the end already made up, holes drilled where you want the cap to go and petcock, someone who does that work professionally and has the equipment could do that up in a small amount of time I would think. Then you know you have a really good weld you don't have to worry about leaking. I don't know how thick those bats are, probably pretty good, but once you cut it off and look at it you can decide if you want to build up the filler opening and petcock opening a bit to give more metal for cutting threads. Something to think about is the spot where the fill cap will go. Would that need to be offset somehow since the sides are tapered and right where it would be best to have it located you have a top cross bar in the way? Something to think about. Also how to mount it. Leather straps would work. More stuff to get creative with. The shape and quality of an aluminum bat is a compelling starting point. Somebody else here will know more than I do and maybe point you in the right direction. I hope you do it. The more options we have, the better... in motors, transmissions, sprockets, mounts and gas tanks. Different applications and different budgets.
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Thanks much SB. I think I heard somewhere else on here about alumirod, but I forgot all about it until you mentioned it again. I've got a bit of time before I'll be walking on my feet. But my plans are coming together. I think I'll pick up a propane torch at some point and practice with the stuff for a bit, maybe learn some ins & outs. It sounds like just the stuff I need. Do you think Lowes or Home Depot would have it?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Hopefully theirs a shop near you with a tig, afiak that's the best way to weld aluminum, because a Tig can use lower temps. And have your parts ready, like silverbear said. That's really your best bet if you've never welded before.(eep)

But like the guys said, there's alumirod. Read up as much as you can, and practice on something else first.

My Dad had some alumirod, I think he found it on eBay, like this ad:
-Aly weldin' rod on eBay

I've tried to weld aly before with oxy/ace, and Mapps(propylene), and failed hard(really hard). But these rods are supposed to be 'pain free'. (Dad wouldn't let me at his supply, he needed them for the boat). So Once aly starts melting it turns to mush, there's a really fine line of maliability, not like steel where you can get a good bead going... its ridiculous!

Keep your eyes open for the alumirod if you want to try it yourself. If all else fails, you'll always have two creeper beaters(since its cut in half).

gl.

Edit- Thats great you're feeling like gettin' back in gear already but don't push yourself too hard man. Take'r easy as long as you can, you don't want to throw something out-of-whack if you're still healin' :)

Last edited: