A new shift concept for the engineers....

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
What about split sprockets like go-karts use?

Change your ratio without removing the wheel.

I already have my chain set up to use either a 36 or 40 sprocket just by removing 4 links.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm still working on my previous idea of a left-hand cassette that slides in and out on splines on the rear hub, with a stationary tensioner lined up with the engine. The design of the tensioner will be everything because it will guide the chain onto the other drive sprocket as gear is changed and as the former sprocket is slid out from beneath it. The rear wheel, as stated before, will need to be pretty flat on that side - but so are all such rear wheels on bicycles with multi-speed cassettes. I believe this is not only do-able but it can be made sturdier than an internally geared hub, if a bit bulky as a result.
I've actually gotten serious enough to put pencil to paper and sketch a bit. Who nows how long before/if I come up with something workable. But it may still be cost prohibitive enough to make that we may as well not bother. Too early to know, but time will tell.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Check out MB pictures page 5 Greatings from Germany Harry has one that apears to be driven from the left

I don't see nottalaff http://motorbicycling.com/f15/greetings-germany-all-mobi-fans-pictures-16699.html

Bio pace sprocket for the China yeah that would rock(^)rotfl

I am still scouring the net for hubs to no avail. The guy that makes a left side drive internally geared hub, is gonna be rich I tell ya filthy rich.

The N.V. can be reversed from what I have read. There is a major catch. Have to have new parts custom machined to get a viable left hand free wheel on the left side. The hubs design needs that free wheel sprocket. Or it will drag like mad the balls inside don't ever totally disengage.

One has to totally disassemble the hub and move stuff around as well.

Also have to consider the N.V. has a limited duty cycle at some point it has to cool down.

That said I think it is feasible.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
And to think, all I want is right now is a freewheelin', left-hand drive 3-speed internal hub with a disc brake...not a coaster brake. Am I askin' fer too much???

You betcha!!! One day perhaps...:-||

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
We just need somebody to come up with a small 3 speed (with neutral) actual transmission that basically bolts onto the back of the engine and runs directly off the drive sprocket. :D

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
It is not that simple. A BMX free wheel could be seen like a nut. Nut can be flipped around. Of course that would also mean the said free wheel being ran on the left side would always unthread itself. A genuine left side free wheel has threads of a different nature to prevent this from happening.

They are two different animals and in no way interchangeable.

The term flip flop hub is funny too makes no sense. Go Ahead and flip flop the hub around and watch both free wheels come off, won't happen gonna be a free wheeling fool.

Here is another distraction......
http://motorbicycling.com/f42/my-bike-project-17995.html
I thought that Staton had the hub with left hand thread on the left so it would be the opeset? I will look again

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I thought the stock sprockets came elliptical from the factor....

They do very slightly prolly helps shifting better.

Remember the old Bio pace sprockets? They faded out rather quickly. Turned out the folks using the normal sprockets were winning all the races.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
They do very slightly prolly helps shifting better.

Remember the old Bio pace sprockets? They faded out rather quickly. Turned out the folks using the normal sprockets were winning all the races.
Yes, it's that little thing called "spinning", especially at a higher cadence that wins the races. You can't spin properly when your biopacing, no matter what. Round rings rule, that's a fact.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
For those that missed it above, sturmey archer makes a three speed fixed gear you can drive on the left side. It does not free wheel in and of itself. It has splines for fixed sprocket AND threads for bmx freewheel. It is made for fixed gear riders who want a three speed like the awc. Search for the SA s3x 3 speed. released this year. Comes is four colors I think.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
We just need somebody to come up with a small 3 speed (with neutral) actual transmission that basically bolts onto the back of the engine and runs directly off the drive sprocket. :D
If you can get by without the neutral, the shimano tricycle transmission rules. Neutral is not needed. either manual or auto clutches work with the trike shifter. The trike shifter can run all day and is only warm to the touch.