Bending the stock exhaust, how far?

GoldenMotor.com

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
How far can I bend the stock exhaust pipe before it affects performance? The one I got in my kit is bent less than 90 degrees and sticks out pretty far on my bike. It isn't hitting anything it is just not looking good to me. I can see that if I start to bend it the pipe will start to flatten out and I am wondering if this will cause performance issues?

tipetu

Jul 19, 2010
Bergen, Norway
yes, it will flatten unless you have a hydraulic pipe bender. So far I would recommend a blow torch and some patience. The chrome might turn blue because of the heat, other than that it`ll do fine

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
best cheap way to bend it is with a torch (just a regular Bernzomatic torch works fine) and a piece of pipe or a rod that fits inside the exhaust.

i used a 3' long solid tent stake that was laying around in the garage.

i heated the pipe, inserted the rod as far as it would go, bracing the pipe on the outside at the same point, so it would only bend where the rod was.

bent it out enough so the rod could slide in farther, adjusted the pipe, then bent it again.

repeat...

here's mine, no kinks or flat spots;

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
I saw something on TV where they bent tight radius for a trombone, they filled the tube with water and froze it then bent it with no loss of diameter, pretty slick, if you could plug the muff end it should work for you also but it would take some serious bending pressure so a jig with a bending mandrel would have to be made.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
best cheap way to bend it is with a torch (just a regular Bernzomatic torch works fine) and a piece of pipe or a rod that fits inside the exhaust.
i used a 3' long solid tent stake that was laying around in the garage.
Necessity is the mother of invention, but can you put a link up for how the heck you swapped the Intake and Exhaust ports?
It has to be more than just rotating the cylinder 180 degrees doesn't it?

As far as little bends on the exhaust pipe I didn't have any fancy tools when I needed to, I don't even have big bench vice so like bairedco I just used what I had around.

In my case that meant something heavy but not damaging to hold the pipe so I could bend it a bit and I found just the thing in my garage as well.

Hehehehe, ya, my Truck Vice ;-}

I just put a rounded kit mount bracket under the bend point to reduce any flat spot, a piece of 2x4 on top to bite in some to hold and not damage the tire, and then 'close the vice', hence lower the jack.

Then just a little slipper clad leverage and a slow pull.

All I needed was a little less angle so the pipe didn't hit the frame so I don't know if that will help the other way like your question going the other way, but it might give you some ideas how you could if think outside the box ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
"you have to spin the jug and the piston, and match the transfer ports on the case."
Thanks for the link bairdco, I figured there had to be more to it.
Way to innovate bud ;-}

xzackx

Jun 30, 2010
morgan county, OH
i wouldnt recommend bending it more than about a inch and a half unless u want it to crack, im not saying yours will but mine i bent after riding a while its cracked right where the pipe mounts into the main muffler i'll post a picture
idk how it happened but it did you may have more luck than me also

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Thanks fellas for the info. My issue is I need to bend it the other way. All the pics are showing you bending them "outwards", I need to bend it "inward" towards my frame. I also have a different style exhaust. Mine is flat on both top and bottom of that can where the ones in the pic are domed on top and bottom. Mine has 3 phillips screws in the bottom holding on the cap. No welds on the pipe like the ones in the pic. What gives?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Same principals apply Beej. Lil heat, lil push. Lil heat, lil push is the (IMHO) easiest way. I have bent them cold too. Just a lil at a time. If your muffler is not chromed and you bend carefully, won't show at all. Try Bairdco's method in reverse.

As far as little bends on the exhaust pipe I didn't have any fancy tools when I needed to, I don't even have big bench vice so like bairedco I just used what I had around.

In my case that meant something heavy but not damaging to hold the pipe so I could bend it a bit and I found just the thing in my garage as well.

Hehehehe, ya, my Truck Vice ;-}

I just put a rounded kit mount bracket under the bend point to reduce any flat spot, a piece of 2x4 on top to bite in some to hold and not damage the tire, and then 'close the vice', hence lower the jack.

Then just a little slipper clad leverage and a slow pull.

All I needed was a little less angle so the pipe didn't hit the frame so I don't know if that will help the other way like your question going the other way, but it might give you some ideas how you could if think outside the box ;-}
Har! That is awesome KC!