Hi from IL

GoldenMotor.com

uni_vision_tech1

Apr 10, 2010
Bolingbrook, IL
Hey all! Been doing a lot of searching through the inter-webs on bike motor kits to finally convert my Kona 2010 Fire Mountain to an efficient motorized transporter. While doing a few dozen searches and visiting hundreds of links I've stumbled upon these forums and knew I just had to join to learn and get help whilst returning it in the end. I'm hoping to create a setup where I won't have to lose any of my 24 gears and front/back disc brakes. Also, in terms of choosing greater speed vs. greater torque I'd have to go with greater torque because Illinois isn't exactly flat, these darn hills make commutes a bit difficult especially after 20 miles of biking. I'd like to think of myself as a friendly individual who wants to expand knowledge as well as share it. Thank you :D

-Bart K.

P.S. I have both a class D and M license, don't know if that'll allow me to use my motor-bike on the streets or not but I think I'll find out if/when a cop stops me and tells me "Son, do you know why I pulled you over?"
.bf.

uni_vision_tech1

Apr 10, 2010
Bolingbrook, IL
Thank you fairracing31! :)

Nougat, I'll have to do some more research into electric motors if it is 20mph and lower... now can I exceed 20mph if the motor is gasoline powered? Say... 49cc? And once everything is situated, I'd gladly take you up on your offer :D. K-County is right next door.

Blakenstein, if I were really stubborn would I still be able to keep all my gears? (In case I'd run out of gas/juice and had to pedal-power myself back home?)

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
First of all' I'm gona tell u somin if that ever happens to me that a cop stops me and calss me son , I HOPE ythat he is at least 90 .

Your not tyinn to show them hoew fast u can go are u?????

Hmmmmm...I hope not . For your sake

And dummy up a bitt dude!!!!!!!

First of all u got a 3 ring in the front!!!! Did u forget about those??????

If u amazingly disscover someday and you are overwhelm with the mirrrrraaaacuuuualllllllllll!!!!!!!!!! OHhhhhhhh its a mirrricale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "There's gear up hear " The front rings just did not just suddenly apear from heeeeaaaalll right outa nowhere..

Dummy it up #3

But seriously dude : These ADDEDD MOTORS Have alot of weight specailly ad that to the 200 lbs of fat that my bike has to carry ,,,,,,

I HAVE NO USE FOR ALL THOSE HHHIIIIGH GEARS ON my rear caaaassssseesteeee...
Specialy when I am goin up hillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll And then ther is wind factor

SSSOOO IIIIIIIIII dont use my 8 ring anymore stick with five and lock out the rear
derailer from the override and there it its

Also on my Hopper system ....MOUNT system only,.......I neeeeeeed all the centering I can get!!!!!!Wit my rear ackle so its a double Mongo for me and its in the net.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

Blakenstein gibberish... *shrug*

Thank you fairracing31! :)

Nougat, I'll have to do some more research into electric motors if it is 20mph and lower... now can I exceed 20mph if the motor is gasoline powered? Say... 49cc? And once everything is situated, I'd gladly take you up on your offer :D. K-County is right next door.

Blakenstein, if I were really stubborn would I still be able to keep all my gears? (In case I'd run out of gas/juice and had to pedal-power myself back home?)
You outa be able to keep all your gears no matter the build, they do come in handy frm time to time ;)

We've got a similar "cannot exceed 20mph" rule in Maine BTW, we all pretty much view it as a speed limit as there's no real way to limit even a regular, pedal powered bike so it "cannot exceed 20mph"

... yer call tho :D

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
And Ill tell u somthing else too When I bought my Motor.,
I was crying for an 8 ring rearwheel casette / for a threaded hub.

Then found out that I only need Five and I got through 2 winters without my mega low range rear.

more thamn good enough for me. see ya

uni_vision_tech1

Apr 10, 2010
Bolingbrook, IL
Blakenstein dummying up the traditional approach :p, of course I wouldn't show off the abilities of my bike in front of officers. Why attract attention when the purpose is to avoid it?

BarelyAWake was hoping I could keep all of my gears, I know that they're not necessary but I definitely want the option of pedaling/motor power when I choose which... hmm, might need to order a custom sprocket to fit on the left side of my front gears.

I'll need to create a new thread with my bike, design diagrams, and other questions soon. Summer is right on its dandy way.

P.S. The officers love to call me 'son' because I'm 18 years old :).

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Okay, now first of all it depends on what kind of peddle shaft weather or not it allows individual custom fittng / size

On some peddle shafts yes and do allow for this . However the HIGHEST gear on the front rings have a limmitt to as how high u can go because the diameters of mega highs are so lardge that it hits /smashes into the rear A-Frame.

Any way this is a good forum the best one there is and u can learn invaluable information . There are many here in this forun that have great knowledge in the realm of motorized bics.