Mag Rims need help!!

GoldenMotor.com

35oriano

May 21, 2009
san jose
Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I just started on my first bike this past month. I got everything running and going well, then I decided to switch to mag rims. I figured I could attach the sprocket to the rim directly they look cool, and all that good stuff. I got the front tire mounted and then I went to put the rear one and I noticed that it is to wide to fit into my cruiser frame. If anyone attempted, and/ or succeeded please advise me on what to do.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
35oriano

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I would like to help but without pictures, measurements etc. there is no way of knowing what the problem is and how it might be remedied. Which mag rims are you refering to? What type of bike? How wide is too wide?

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Without being able to see your frame and wheel myself it is a bit of a guess. Still, 1 inch sounds doable with the right tools. (no guarantees, proceed at your own risk!) In the ideal situation you would try something like this: Frame spreader tool to separate the rear dropouts and make enough room for your new rim. You have to be careful not to spread them too much however as you will damage the frame. You don't necessarily have to order a tool for this specific task. a length of ready-rod, a handful of nuts and a couple of washers would do the trick too. Then there is always the brute force approach as well. A scissor jack between the dropouts could work too. Just be careful.

35oriano

May 21, 2009
san jose
Thanks, guys I actually used the scissor jack to spread apart the frame. It worked so I am in the clear for now till another problem arises.

Thanks

cvlt1

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
I used hot water pipe wrap to take up the space and dampen the vibration a little .Just wrap your top tube in it then put the tank on

35oriano

May 21, 2009
san jose
I used hot water pipe wrap to take up the space and dampen the vibration a little .Just wrap your top tube in it then put the tank on
I can ask my friend where he got the moped from and see if I can get more of the gas tanks. If anyone is interested.