POS clutch arm screws

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
My supplier has lately started using a hex head screw to hold clutch cable instead of the old phillips head screws - seemed a good idea with all the noobs stabbing their fingers with the screw driver while tightening, but now I've got a lot of them snapping the heads off using the wrench. Seems if they have a long handle, they'll pull it till it breaks.

Been giving them new ones and tossing old into a box for a while, but today decided to fix them all. Got some good extractors, but none that tiny, so tried some of my pre-war English reaming files that are great steel with square handles in tiny sizes.

Drilled what was left of screw out with 3/32 bit, tapped file handle for the 5/16 file in lightly with hammer, and twisted the old piece of screw right out on all 7 or the bad ones I had.

Now if I could just find some homeless guy to do this for me for 50 cents an hour, it will really pay off.

pic of what's left of screw on file handle

P10-23-15_13.17.jpg

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
You could also drill the hex socket round and use a larger easy out to get them out if they're seized in there that bad. Another nice tool to have is a screw knocker, it's an aircraft tool for removing stubborn or seized screws by using a rivet gun and putting a phillps, standard, torx, or allen screwdriver tip, then gently fire the rivet gun while turning the screw to loosen it, these are very effective on phillips screws that tend to seize and will strip the head before coming loose...
The down side to a screw knocker is that you need a rivet gun to power it as an air hammer will hit too hard and fast since the triggers are more on/off than linear, and rivet guns can be quite costly new, and not so easy to find used locally, but you may be able to get one from somewhere like yardstore.com for under $100 which could pay for its self if you got a whole bunch of these to remove.
Here's the link to the screw knocker... http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,3698.html
and here's the link for a cheap rivet gun... http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/2,603.html ... this is the biggest drawback, the price of the gun, and you need a supply of compressed air to power the gun...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not sure what 'hex socket' you mean - these are the small screws in the end of the clutch arm that bind the cable in place

I've always used my extractors socketed into my impact driver to get your 'screw-knocker' without having to pay $100.