My Freewheel Wheel Sprocket Disintegrated

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I've been riding "The Iron Dragon", my twin-engined monster daily for three months, about 500 miles. Yesterday on my way home, the engine on my Staton rear chain drive unexpectedly jumps into neutral at 25 mph. I coasted to a safe stop, lifted the bike onto the sidewalk and assessed the damage...

The 16tooth freewheel sprocket fell apart, and all the bearings were gone!:-||

Soo, I turned the rear engine off, and motored home at 20 mph with the front engine.

The day before, the rear engine had started to surge and the chain had slackened. I thought it unusual that the chain was loose after several hundreds of miles' service. I made a mental note to check everything this weekend, but the sprocket expired yesterday. That must've been the reason the chain was loose.

I emailed Dave Staton, and am awaiting his reply.

Has this happened to anyone else with the freewheel sprocket on the wheel hub?

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Man it must be nice not to have to walk home after you break down. All deep sea boats have twin motors just for that reason. Well your two motors already paying you back. Have you ever posted a pic of the "Iron Dragon"?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Yeah, having twin engines has its advantages. Before I installed my Happy Time reserve tank, I ran outa gas on one engine and drove home with the other on two occasions. When the brand new front engine quit with a vacuum lock problem, the rear engine drove home. When caught in continuous rain six miles from home, the front friction drive was useless, so the rear chain drive drove home.

No pics of "The Iron Dragon" yet, maybe soon. .rd.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My son came home Thursday, will live with us for four years until he gets his degree. He met "the Iron Dragon" and can't wait to ride it. Daughter wants to ride a bicycle to her community college seven miles away.

I'll start them both on pedal bikes..we.

Come Monday, I could use a motorized bike to commute to work until I replace the freewheel sprocket. I MIGHT install a Mitsubishi rear friction drive with 1.5" roller back on "The Dragon Lady". I ran that combination several months ago.scratg

No word yet from Staton. I'll talk to him Monday morning.