New Motorized Bicycle rider in New Hampshire

GoldenMotor.com

Spruce Moose

May 18, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello,

Yesterday, I bought my first motorized bicycle. It is a Cannondale CAD1 M200SE with a Flying Horse motor.

It could certainly use a tune-up and I'm running into problems with the pulley system already. Because of a combination of doing a bad install job and using inappropriate bolts, the tensioner edges close to the spokes when I start riding and eventually catches on them!

I've been seeing a couple of posts here and there pop-up about not using a tensioner at all and I wonder if that's the route I should take or perhaps I should purchase a new tensioner setup?

The small holes in the brace were actually drilled into the bike.

Blow-out of the pulley and bolt assembly.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: New MB rider in New Hampshire

Welcome to the forum. Spend some time here reading and we'll get you on the road.

First of all the tensioner is installed wrong. It should be on the lower chain run, not the top. You'll want to secure the tensioner bracket so it can not move on the chain stay or you'll have big problems. The tension needs to be applied to the lower chain run. That's where the slack is under engine power. Not the top.

Chain tension should be 1/2 to 3/4" slack. You're chain is way too loose.

Use the search feature, type in 'chain tensioner' and you'll have plenty to read on the subject.

Good luck, others will reply with suggestions.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Thanks 2door, that's a pretty serious oversight. Would this assembly http://www.ebay.com/itm/49cc-60cc-6...-Pulley-Chain-Tensioner-Bracket-/190656654344 be suitable?
The tensioner you linked to is essentially exactly what you have now. It wouldn't be any improvement.

Move yours down to the chain stay (the lower frame rail) and secure it. There are many options for doing that or you might want to explore what others have done in the way of a tensioner bracket. Bridging the chain and seat stay is the best way.

Your bike does not have horizontal drop outs so some way to tension the chain will need to be provided. A tensioner is one way or some will suggest shimming the engine. I'm not a fan of that method because the engine needs to be securely mounted to the frame and shims, if not correcly installed will allow the engine to shift in the frame. That's not good.

Take some time and read the discussions on tensioners and how best to deal with them. There are many pages on the subject.

Good luck.

Tom

Spruce Moose

May 18, 2013
New Hampshire

The more I read the more I'm realizing how much I was in danger due to that beat down and improperly installed chain tensioner. I was kinda pissed the seller had me ride around in that thing, I could of flown off anytime.

Apparently, the tensioner is supposed to be installed on the lower bar and that the tensioner assembly on mine is junk out of the box, the bolt keeping the pulley in place was also stripped. Infact, it would probably be safer if I had shortened the chain and got rid of the tensioner assembly all together!

Spruce Moose

May 18, 2013
New Hampshire

LR Jerry, do you happen to know if I would be able to replace my fork? I know on some bikes its possible and others not...

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN

I'm pretty sure you can. Google your bike up to see what up grades can be done to it. You can also use the search feature on the forum to see if other possible bikes like yours.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Spruce Moose,
Where are you in New Hampshire? I used to live there in Concord, Boscowen and North Conway. My son lives in Deering.

Steve.