Hello from Alaska

GoldenMotor.com

superdiver

Jan 20, 2013
Alaska
Hi all, i have been wanting to build a motorized bicycle for a long time. I bought and rebuilt a motorcycle that was the same year and make and model of my first motorcycle, and am currently rebuilding a 1972 CT90. But those are easy cuz I have a working model tow work off of.

But a motorized bicycle is essentially from scratch and off of plans. I dont get to take something apart first which means I have to put something together without having seen it first... not my strong point... so I have been putting off building a motorized MC.

I would like to eventually build my own vision of a motorcycle based on a bicycle frame. but want to start off with a kit first... any suggestions would be great!

bulljo

Jan 5, 2013
orange county
Re: Hello form Alaska

Hi rew id first like to say that in this hobby you find yourself going through lots of poor quality stuff because your pushing the limit of things i.e. putting a motor a on a bicycle. I wish someone would of told me to start of with quality bicycles, bolts, gaskets, and quality high performance parts to avoid wasing time and money. The closest thing to a motorcycle while still being a bicycle is a worksman.
I bet you will drool over them if u like motorcycles. But i have a 80's schwinn and it get the job done good as high performance motorized bicycle.xct2

nikymor

Dec 30, 2012
philippines
hello from the philippines try googling motorized vintage bicycle i think you might like those type of motored bikes there are tons of design you can choose from, like the e.r thomas

superdiver

Jan 20, 2013
Alaska
a group of islanders on here it would seem. I live on an island in Alaska...

As far as quality parts go, I do appreciate the advice and thats what led me here. I have learned the hard way about quality vs cheap... I see all kinds of stuff for sale, and i have and encounters with Chinese knock offs. So i plan to ask alot of questions and read a fair bit before I start buying stuff... I was just looking for a place that wasnt all yupity or pretensious or too hill billy and this seems like a pretty straight forward place!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Check out http://thatsdax.com/ and maybe some of the other sponsors on the fourm here...........Curt

Welcome to the fourm and good luck with your choice.........If it were me i would do a 4 stroke.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum!
I hope that you enjoy yourself here.
I recommend a good quality bike be it a cruiser or mountain bike with no rear suspension.
I heavily prefer the 4 stroke engines over 2 stroke though I own both. I recommend either an EZM kit or one from bicycle-engines dot com. The EZM kits really are the better choice for long term maintenance though.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Hey alaska, welcome to a treasure trove of information...do a little research for yourself before you jump. Itll save you time, money and band-aids...there is definitely tons of useful information...choose wisely...enjoy it, it quicky becomes habit...

superdiver

Jan 20, 2013
Alaska
Yes there is TONS of info.. a little too much..overwhelming to be honest...LOL

I wish there was a beginners thread with a step by step... kinda dumbing it down for us non educated new to motorized bikes folks... Something like a check list to go thru, with links to more specifics threads... know what I mean?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just a suggestion but first I'd look around for a vintage bike to use as the foundation. A new Worksman is nice, but a balloon tire bike from the 1950's and earlier makes a nice foundation for a motored bicycle. Quality from back when things were American made to last.

And regardless of what people say about the 2 stroke kits, they are a good introduction to this hobby and you can always upgrade parts as you go or even change the engine to a four stroke or whatever. Start pretty simple, in other words, and as your knowledge and skill increase then either do a second build or keep changing the original one. You'll know better what you want as you gain some experience. The PK-80 china girl motor is a good one for a kit motor. I don't know who all carries them Pirate cycles, I think, is one.

I don't regret starting out the way I have suggested for you. If I had started with too big of an undertaking I might have gotten frustrated and given up. Glad I didn't! A lot of accomplished builders here still use the kit motors. If they were complete junk, they wouldn't use them.

Lot's of fine people here who will be glad to help you. Always post photos of what you're doing. We like pictures. Welcome to the forum!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Welcome from British Columbia.

If you look at the very top of the heading of the forum page you will see a Google Custom Search box. If your stuck for information about something, check in there with what you want to know about. Then get yourself a comfortable chair and a coffee because it will take a while for you to read it all.

Steve.

superdiver

Jan 20, 2013
Alaska
Only problem is, that I live on an island in AK, not alot of bikes to buy. We do have a walmart tho, so thats about my best option.

What bikes are good to start with from Walmart? I dont mind welding to strengthen, i have the stuff and shop space to work on it all winter.

I want to start with a nice comfortable cruiser style and I need an engine that will go up hills as we live in a very hilly area...

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you want a single speed (pedaling that is) get a Huffy Cranbrook.
They are a steel framed bike and plenty strong enough. You will want to add a good, strong front brake to it though.
If you want 7 speeds (pedaling that is) get a Schwinn Point Beach. They are an aluminum framed bike and plenty strong enough. They come with good brakes front and rear too.