What's going on with motorized bicycle kits and the EPA?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Does anybody know what's really going on with motorized bicycle kits and the EPA this year? I've noticed that there seems to be a lot less choices of kits now.

Zoom Bicycle's has stopped shipping to the USA. They told me it costs too much to get the kits EPA certified and they're not sure if they'll ever be back. That's a shame because they sold the good Flying Horse motors.

I seems like Grubee is almost the only game in town for China Girls. I did buy a kit on eBay recently, but now they're gone.

Are all the MB retail sellers buying Grubee and that's it now?

Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to get EPA certification, and how long that takes?

Do you think China Girl kits will soon disappear all together?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Re: What's going on with MB kits and the EPA?

Very true, my first bike was a kit, the one I will be putting on the rode this weekend is a complete DIY weed wacker build, and the abundance of cheap/free small engines makes the DIY builds more appealing. China Girl kits are nice, and a good place to start, but the price is getting to the point were you are better off buying a used motorcycle or moped if you want some two wheel fun.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Very true, my first bike was a kit, the one I will be putting on the rode this weekend is a complete DIY weed wacker build, and the abundance of cheap/free small engines makes the DIY builds more appealing. China Girl kits are nice, and a good place to start, but the price is getting to the point were you are better off buying a used motorcycle or moped if you want some two wheel fun.
Well, DIY is fine for the very few that are capable of it, but if that's our future then basically MBs are dead to the market at large. Deader than it is now that is lol..

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

It's a pain. Ontario recently jumped on the epa bandwagon. I think its because they can't clear the 'grey' area of legalization, and are trying to limit the number of new kits. Either that or people see an mb puffing along and don't realize that 2-strokes smoke, so they think we're horrible polluters. lol.

What's next? Will I have to get my lawnmower and weed-eater tested/certified? Mandatory household Fart toxicity monitors?

stickerbush

Jun 22, 2011
Pacific Northwest

The EPA has gotten stricter with it's enforcement around imported engines. Grubee was big enough to be able to get their engines certified, most of the other manufacturers weren't, at least not yet. I read somewhere that it costs about $30K to get a product EPA certified.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

The EPA has done way more harm than any good they can ever claim, they have destroyed many lifes and businesses based on flawed science and just plain ignorance of the facts when it comes to the impact much of this stuff they stop has on the environment, it's all about power & money....... so many false "facts" are used to put people out of business and punish hard working people and land owners.

When I here EPA I kringe......

I've also noticed the number of MB engine kit options being less, even BGF doesnt have nearly the variety he had just last year.....hum......!

Peace

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Excellent news.

If the Chinese government doesn't want these smog machines on their streets, then why should we?

Yeah, catalytic converter mufflers. It worked for a while, the exhaust didn't stink of unburned hydrocarbons for the first half gallon of gas. After that it was stink city baby.

I hate that motor. It's loud and it stinks.

Let's get more 4 strokes!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Excellent news.

If the Chinese government doesn't want these smog machines on their streets, then why should we?

WHAT........China not want smog machines.....? in one of the most polluted countries on earth.......as long as they can make money they dont care what it does......

Yeah, catalytic converter mufflers. It worked for a while, the exhaust didn't stink of unburned hydrocarbons for the first half gallon of gas. After that it was stink city baby.

A catalatic converter on a 2 smoker is just smoke & mirrors in the first place..

I hate that motor. It's loud and it stinks.

Sound like you never ran Opti2 in yours......no stinky and almost zero smokey... unless they are choked down to the point of almost NO power all of these small engines that we would use on a bike are fairly loud.....lots of R's = noise.....

Peace

Let's get more 4 strokes!
4 strokers are good and I like-em but the most power in a smaller package will always be found in a 2 smoker which is ideal for use on a bike with very limited amount of room to place an engine.

good points accept all the enviromental stuff, most of what people have been told about all the "pollution" isn't fact and is being proven to be a hoax in many ways more and more all the time kinda like that oil spill that was gonna do so much ireversable damage and all the sudden where did all that oil go, most people dont know that 1000's of gallons of oil seap into the ocean everyday and has been for 1000's of years, main stream media on every side is just a hype machine 99% of the time and I refuse to drink the Kool-aid..!

OH yeah it was found that the ocean actually eats the oil by certain organisms that actually eat it up, so much bad information out there for the sake of scaring people and making them think it's a good thing to have government organization that have the power to shut entire companies down just because they may think something is wrong, here I go on a EPA rant again.......I'll quit

Peace......!

.flg.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

My HT motor does not smoke even at 25:1.

It is loud at any speed and it does stink.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

My HT motor does not smoke even at 25:1.

It is loud at any speed and it does stink.
Yeah they do stink no matter what........even the Opti2 has a bad smell to me but it is not nearly as strong as conventional oil, or at least that is the way it was in mine, I dont run the Cat exhaust on mine either.

Yes the 2 smokers are louder for sure..........but I like it it to a point as long as it is within tolerable levels on my already half gone ears.....LOL!

Peace, Shan

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Nether of my CG motors smoke. Only during break in. After that I run Red Line @ 50:1. There's normally no smell, and no smoke at all. All of the ones I've ever heard were noisy it's true, but all my other motorcycles are a lot nosier. My 85 hp Sportster will make your eardrums bleed if you're standing next to it when it's on a dyno.

It's a freedom issue. To like what you want, and not be told what to like.

If a motor is less than 100cc it makes more sense to be a 2 smoke, especially if it has to pull my massive arse around. All my other bikes are at least 74ci or larger. They're all 4 strokes.

The EPA is just like all the other government agency's. They aren't there to look out for your best interests, they're there to look out for their own best interests, and the interests of those in a position to manipulate them, and in turn you.

cloud

Mar 19, 2011
USA - Michigan

Im with ya when it comes to the EPA, there wrong on pretty much everything.

I love the power of the 2 stroke but dont care for the smoke and smell, but im not big on the power to much as I really only cruise at around 18-20.

when they drop the price of the 4 stroke I may be buying me one.

HAHA I could just take that 6.5 HP motor off the go-kart and mount it on the bike then head to the quarter mile races LOL. VROOM VROOM ! .trlrl.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California

I recently got into motorized bikes, and also noticed its pretty tough to get a motor shipped to me. And I live in CA as well, so its even harder.
But lucky me, I found a guy on craigslist in my area, San Jose, CA, who somehow imports these new Chinese HT engines, and sells them brand new for 220 bucks. So I bought it and got it same day. I wish there were more options though

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

IMO, epa will constrict us to a point where we are far less than competitive on the open market others have. It will shut us down even more than today.
But we'll have clean air and water and the deer and antelope will have a nice place to frolick.
I have been told by travelers that air quality is horrible in overseas manufacturing areas. Water pollution is epic. Here, with notable exceptions, we are improving.
China is just now coming online. Hold on to your hat when India gears up!
Both will sell their goods to the emerging markets where a personal transport machine like the HT will be quite useful. They don't need us at all.
Like Jim Kunstler says, "Get used to having less."
rc

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Personally I'll be surprised if China Girls stop being sold anytime soon, if ever.

If Don Grubee is really responsible for bringing the EPA down on us like some people have suggested, that might actually be a good thing in the long run. Here's why, the EPA instead of deciding to make regulations tougher, could have just as well decided to ban China Girls all together. For all we know Grubee offering to pay a fee to get our favorite motors certified might really be responsible for saving them. Now an outright ban seems a lot less likely since money for the government is involved. We all know government agency's are money whores. What's the chance they'll do something that brings in less money? Prices will go up, but at least they're available. I'm pretty sure we'll have a lot less choices though, and so far the crappest motor kit I've had my hands on was a Grubee SkyHawk.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Hi guys just wanted to appologize for starting this rant on the EPA stuff, I know we aren't supose to bring up things here that can turn nasty and confrontational, if I have offended anyone with anything I've said in reguards to this topic I'm sorry, just got a bit passionate about that stuff.

Sorry for the rant guys.....!

Peace, Shan

.flg.