Schwinn 68cc First Build!

GoldenMotor.com

Big_Fella_Stretch

Feb 4, 2010
San Diego, CA
Ahoy from SD! I thought I'd drop off a few photos of my first build and see what you guys think.

From what I've been able to discover about the bike, it's an old 58-59 Schwinn. The serial numbers are mostly covered by a powdercoat job my brother did about 10 years ago, but I'm fairly certain that it's Chicago Steel. The bike's been in the family for years and hasn't moved from the garage in about 3 years, so I decided to get myself kit and build it up.

I want to throw a big shout out to Jimmy and Joey in SD for selling the kit. Good looking and great price. If anyone in SD needs a kit, go to the brothers.

As for mods, I had to fashion an extended engine bracket for the front tube. This consisted of some washers to a plate which is attached to the stock engine mounting bolts. Then holes drilled forward of the stock mounts in the plate, bolts and the rounded bracket the kit came with. All of the mounting points have been padded with heavy duty electricians tape (super thick stuff). The exhaust kinda broke because I didn't mount it properly the first time, and it now resides somewhere in Poway, CA. I work at a custom motorcycle shop and when the boss heard that I was exhaustless,he supplied a minibike can. The original cat was chopped off the OG muffler tube to create a header of sorts. Then I twisted 2" flex tube, purchased from NAPA Auto Parts, down to the outside diameter of the header. A dremel took off the mounting plate of the minibike exhaust, and the flex pipe was fitted to the can.

It's all secured with heavy duty hose clamps. The new can has relieved a lot of the engine vibrations as well. I blame the flex pipe... :D

So, here's the finished product! Feedback anyone?

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Big, Welcome to the forum. That`s a nice neat clean build. One thought, are you aware of the danger, the chain tensioner has a habit of being pulled into the spokes and causing serious injury to members? Ron

Big_Fella_Stretch

Feb 4, 2010
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I've heard that... But so far, I've got about 100 miles on the bike, and have had 0 (see also: Zero, Nada, Zip) problems with it.

In fact, it's about the only thing that remains tight and trustworthy. Weird, eh?

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Cool bike! Hello fello S.D.er, Trying, along with Maxvision to get a big group ride together in the early summer, O.B. to Mission Bay! Me and Maxvision are meeting up for the first time this saturday for a short ride starting at the O.B pier. Would be cool if you could make it, and if not hopefully another ride in the future!

Big_Fella_Stretch

Feb 4, 2010
San Diego, CA
Yeah, Maxvision and I have been emailing back and forth about the ride. I'm most likely going to be working... We've got a deadline for a huge deal, so it unfortunately takes precedence...

But soon! I was thinking that a ride to Del Mar along the 56 Fwy (there's a big bike path) for tacos would be cool.

And thanks for the props on the ride! I had an exhaust break earlier today, but no fear! I got repair wrap!

Pictures to come.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
That is a very nice, neat build you got there stretch. One small word of advice, don't rely on the kit pin connectors that come on the CDI to stay connected. Use some heat shrink on those suckers and you'll be glad you did, and I'm glad your tensioner is remaining tight for now but the problem is by the time it loosens up on you it'll be too late, it'll be in your spokes and you'll be lookin for teeth on the road. There are lots of variations and alternatives on the forum but the stock tensioner is crap and if you use it then you should at least bolt through the chain stay or screw through the tensioner bracket and into the stay with a small screw. Just food for thought, but great job on the bike. Is that factory paint or did you repaint it? Love the color.

Big_Fella_Stretch

Feb 4, 2010
San Diego, CA
My brother had it powder coated about 10 years ago, and it sat for years unbuilt. So, it's basically a brand new powdercoat.

And the pins for the CDI were the first things to go! :D My Dad works in telecom, so we have a ton of industrial strength crimp splices laying around. It's been crimped, and heat shrink wrapped up tight. I had a CDI go bad already, so that's where the shrink wrap came in.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm looking at new chain tensioners now. No need to have to pick up teeth. ;)