Addicted Motorbicycles Commercial!

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have a few questions and comments. First off I should say that I'm interested in selling bikes myself but have spent all my time building and learning and not yet selling. I'd like to sell a few bikes this summer to get my feet wet. So I've given some thought to the subject.
Who is going to see the commercial? I personally don't surf through Utube and am wondering if it is the way to find your buyers. Maybe it is... I'm just asking. If it were me I would spend more time building bikes and on a low key sell one here and there, maybe not for much profit but more to get some experience under you belt so that you have the confidence to know that you are ready to deal with what comes. It is one way to develop a good reputation and learn the ropes of what to do and what not to do. I also would only show bikes I have built, as others have pointed out. I think the very best advertising comes from the bikes themselves... ride one around and the bike advertises itself, especially if it is an eye catcher. I imagine that most of Venicebike's sales come from seeing the bikes Norm rides and asking about them, wanting to know if the very bike he is riding is for sale. A conversation gets going and if someone is really interested they look up his website later on to see what he has for sale. (Norm, if I'm wrong about my assumptions please straighten me out!) I also question the "hot bike" approach since these really are not hot bikes unless a lot of effort, know how and expense elevates a kit motor into a real custom build. Burnouts are misleading unless your motors are of a different level than the ones I buy. I have trouble making it up some of the local hills to be truthful. What these bikes are is a whole lot of fun and affordable, so that's what I would emphasize. I realize that we may have different target markets, so what I think will work for me might not for you. In a nutshell... I think what you want to do is possible, but I am wondering if you are putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. In other words, focus more on the builds and increasing your skill and knowledge in the process and let the selling part be gradual. Develop the product and then hone the salesmanship. I wish you success in your venture.
SB

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
I have a few questions and comments. First off I should say that I'm interested in selling bikes myself but have spent all my time building and learning and not yet selling. I'd like to sell a few bikes this summer to get my feet wet. So I've given some thought to the subject.
Who is going to see the commercial? I personally don't surf through Utube and am wondering if it is the way to find your buyers. Maybe it is... I'm just asking. If it were me I would spend more time building bikes and on a low key sell one here and there, maybe not for much profit but more to get some experience under you belt so that you have the confidence to know that you are ready to deal with what comes. It is one way to develop a good reputation and learn the ropes of what to do and what not to do. I also would only show bikes I have built, as others have pointed out. I think the very best advertising comes from the bikes themselves... ride one around and the bike advertises itself, especially if it is an eye catcher. I imagine that most of Venicebike's sales come from seeing the bikes Norm rides and asking about them, wanting to know if the very bike he is riding is for sale. A conversation gets going and if someone is really interested they look up his website later on to see what he has for sale. (Norm, if I'm wrong about my assumptions please straighten me out!) I also question the "hot bike" approach since these really are not hot bikes unless a lot of effort, know how and expense elevates a kit motor into a real custom build. Burnouts are misleading unless your motors are of a different level than the ones I buy. I have trouble making it up some of the local hills to be truthful. What these bikes are is a whole lot of fun and affordable, so that's what I would emphasize. I realize that we may have different target markets, so what I think will work for me might not for you. In a nutshell... I think what you want to do is possible, but I am wondering if you are putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. In other words, focus more on the builds and increasing your skill and knowledge in the process and let the selling part be gradual. Develop the product and then hone the salesmanship. I wish you success in your venture.
SB

Could not have said it better. Last year in a 3 month period built and sold 13 bikes no need for commercial or flyers the bikes sell them self's just have room to bargain when you talk money start high than when you bend they snatch hoping not to lose deal. Clean installations and stylish bikes help attract customers. Good luck.

Adam

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I agree, it may seem as though I'm taking the wrong routes. I just want to remind everyone, I haven't sold a single bike. Haven't built more than 4 builds, and all in all, have very little experience compared to so many here on this site. Here's the thing. Everything I've done so far, has been like a trial and error learning experience, which I've really not been too concerned with the actual "sales" of the bikes. I'm kind of just "practicing" so to speak. If I happen to get a request for a bike, that's awesome, I'll do it, but really, I'm just practicing until I have my investment capital prepared, a plan drawn out, etc, etc. I want to build say 5 to 10 complete bikes, fancy and general ones, and sell as units. (As you guys have said) However, I'd like a storefront, where new bikes can be "browsed". I'd also like to expand into clothing and other things motorbicycle related, and not motorbicycle related. I'm currently in school right now, and it will be a while before I'm ready to go all out. It will take a TON of work, and a lot of capital. So it's the game of patience. In my spare time I do a lot of things on my Macbook. Making videos and animations is one of them. It's fun and a hobby of sorts, so making that commercial is just one way I entertain myself, as well as get the name out there, and who knows, maybe someone will take interest.

I'm not being rude or anything as I appreciate everybody's feedback, but I'm at the very, very bottom of the barrel, I was just curious if the video looked acceptable.

"whether or not my company succeeds, I'll always be ADDICTED."

Thanks again everyone, it's easy to misread things as rudeness and such, so I just want to say I just thought I'd clear some things up, not ranting on anyone in particular. :)

I'm buying a prebuilt chopper motorbicycle within the next month, my new summer ride. I will then be selling my current bike, after a little bit of renewing, of course. With that money, I plan to start on a new build. When that build is complete, I'll decide which one to sell, chopper, or new, depending on what I build. If I manage to make profit, I'll keep turning it over, and hopefully work my way to 10 bikes "in-store" Then, and only then, will I consider myself somewhat of a working business. I'll likely never give up though, considering I'm going to be an entrepreneur. Lol.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
OH, and the chopper has a huge back tire, I'll lay down some bleach, and get a good ol smoke show going for you boys.

Maybe I'll design and install wheelie bars!!! Lol

There's a local skatepark nearby............... ;)

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
This is awesome! Thank you everyone for all of your advice. It all makes sense, and like I said, this is only my first attempt at a commercial. I am aquiring a second camera with a tripod, and am planning a multitude of different shots.

If I use pictures that aren't my builds, just to show what you can do, would it be ok to put in words over the picture as it is displayed, "model only", or something to that affect?

Let people know that they aren't my builds, pretty much. I have only a few pictures of my own bikes, and they aren't incredibly attractive for a sales pitch. I'm just in the beginnings of this company, and I haven't had customers as of yet, so showing pics of brand new builds I offer or have built is not possible, unless it is my bike. I need to show what is possible in some way.
If you say that your builds are not that all actrive, and you are trying to start a business. I will give you some advice that was told to me by a Custom MC Builder. The most important thing is to put as much money as you can into atleast 1 build. Do everything custom on it as possible, to show as an example as of what you can do, How you run your wires cable, ect. He also said when building go with your first instinct, don't ask what other people think you should change, or it won't be YOURS. But basically real nice custom builds are key to starting a business. I take all advice he gives me, as i am sure he really knows what he is doing. He built a custom chopper called the low flow, that was featured in a few magazines, and it cought micheal jordans eye while being displayed at datona bike week, Jordan ended up having him build him a ducatti, called Torello. So I try to hang with him as much as possible, and learn all I can.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, to a certain extent that's true - but it depends heavily on what demographic you're targeting. If ya dump a grand+ into a custom show build and highlight it in your advertisements - it could potentially disappoint when they find yer sellin' mostly $300 Huffy builds or w/e. If yer tryin' to keep the resale down to $500 or less - build a really clean and simple cruiser or w/e and spotlight that... Load it up with groovy stuff like saddle bags, lights, & w/e - then put the disclaimer "accessories not included" so that way they can see what it'd look like all dolled up, but it's still affordable.

The dream builds are great ofc and if you've got one to advertise defo do it - but I wouldn't make it a centerpiece or the primary focus, more of a "this is possible too" but keepin' the clean & basic one the center of attention.

Ya don't wanna advertise what yer not plannin' on selling... or at least not what yer primary build style is ;)

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Addicted,
It sounds like you have a plan which could well lead to success. Good. You've gotten a lot of sound advice here and you're giving yourself the time to learn and adjust plans accordingly.
My own intended builds are of two basic kinds, vintage cruisers (mostly Schwinns and Elgins which will take some time and money to build and which will be targeted at older riders of retirement age. Focus of these builds will be quality and ease in use as trouble free as I can make them. These bikes won't be cheap or I won't make any money to build more. The other bikes will be new (probably Schwinn Jaguars) made safer with better fasteners, but pretty much stock and selling for less as I'll have less money and time invested. So that's my plan. The new bikes will come as is, the classics will be open to customer input... paint color and that sort of thing.
I have no interest in shipping whole bikes and no interest in a big business making a bundle of money. I just want a little business with customers who are local and become friends. The plan is to ride an eye catching vintage bike around target areas where the money people will be. The dog will be in tow in her kiddie trailer and someday in a sidecar. That will be my advertising. When somebody seeks me out to ask about the bike, comment on the dog, etc. I will have business cards I can give out. On the card will be the website address where current builds ready for sale are listed, prices for the Jaguars which can be ordered with a down payment and pictures of a few vintage bikes in the before stage to be built over the next winter. Those bikes can be pre-purchased with half paid in advance and which is non refundable. On those bikes the buyer can specify paint color, leather color, type of lights, etc. At least that is what I intend at this point. If something doesn't work well I'll change plans as I go, but for me I think this will work. I spend my summers near a high volume tourist area and also one with many moneyed summer residents. The same plan might not work in the middle of Bugbite, Alaska.
Think about what you like to build, who you want to sell to and go from there. A wise American elder and author named Joseph Campbell advised young people to "follow their bliss". I think that's good advice for all of us. Best of luck to you,
SB

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Well, as for demographics, I can honestly say, we have young and old here that show interest in the bike. From very young kids, to mothers, to fathers, to grandpas, even the police! Most times I'm pulled over, they just want to know how I did it, and to tell me it's neat! Which market would I like to target? All of them. I will sell a bike to anyone who wants one. I have tried many different "styles" of advertising over the two years I've been trying at this. See, when I first started, it was Addicted Custom Bicycles, and I would do any pimping, not just engines. Still didn't get any calls. I'm not really "ready" for customers anyways, as some of you have pointed out, which is fine with me. I'm in "practice" mode, like I said.

The advice I've recieved here is amazing, it's all constructive critisizm to me. :) I truly appreciate it, and I think tonight I will get the second video camera, and likely tomorrow or the next day will be filming day. I will attempt to follow your advices as much as I can while filming, and I'll end up with a few different "commercials" to target different age groups. I refuse to limit myself, and any advertising is good advertising to someone out there. When I'm done school is when I'll be focusing largely on building the business, because I'll have a college education to help me kill it out there in the dog eat dog world of business. I currently have ideas and have organized "deals" with certain companies to give me certain unique attributes to my bikes, which won't be seen used largely for some time, as they are a few new products not released for mass production as of yet. I will succeed, and if not, I'll always be ADDICTED. :) :)

Many thanks everyone!

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I'd like to add to this thread, and to my commercial. I have organized another video.
Before you see it, I'll make a few statements so you know what's up.

This video is not my bikes, parts, or company. It is showcasing bicycledesigner.com, which is in the description, and also contained in the video. It is shown that the bikes aren't mine, and all rights and what not are to bicycledesigner.com, and I also recognize the soundtrack as not mine, giving credit to all whose material I used. According to Copyright laws, everything is all good.

The point of the video? To give ideas and resources to people who may or may not want a seriously pimped bicycle. Since part of my business includes a bike, I made this video to provide a catalog of sorts, showing what is possible, and how pimped you can go.

I've connected like 4 videos, so any potential customers, or just the meer curious, can dive deep into the world of bicycle customization, and engine installation.

This being said, I'm looking for opinions on the whole deal.

I've yet to take any more video, so I have not edited the ADDICTED commercial yet.

Attachments

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I'm looking also to make an engine company video, since the other part of my business, is the customer choosing an engine kit, I will referance all customers to as many engine dealers as I can, so they have the choice they choose.

If there are any engine dealers/companies here that would like me to showcase their company on a video attached to ADDICTED MOTORBICYCLES, please let me know. That way my business is your business.

PS. I may finally have a customer, waiting to hear from him. He's got his bike, needs his engine kit, and I'll be installing for him. The bike is for the dude's 18 year old son. All my work advertising in obscure and unusual ways may start paying off this summer, it's looking promising. I've gotten a lot of attention/interest so far, and the season is just getting started.