hd axle build

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
any body ever work with the hd axle kit from piston bikes? I am try to build the wheel myself and aside from learning the spoke patterns, i'm having trouble with the "dish" of the rim because of the hub size. come to find out that a radial pattern on one side and a single cross pattern on the other works well for the dish problem but, then the spokes are 3-5mm to long? can't find 10 ga spokes the right length? anybody have a spoke thread roller? or know where to get one ? the gague of the spoke seem's a little big for the average bike shop and to small for the motorcycle shop? wheelsmith and a few others make bike wheels with spokes that guage but no luck with tooling as yet.
this forum is a great plase to find advice ,so thanks in advance The "prussian"

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
From the digging I did about a month ago a spoke roller will set you back over 2 grand and the cheap "do it yourself" roller (about $150) only does 16 gauge spokes.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The tooling you are asking for is not easily available. The Tools that are available Phil Wood Spoke Machine and the Morizumi Spoke Machine are both quite expensive and neither of them have the additional dyes for handling 10g spokes. You might have better luck contacting a supplier like Buchanan Spoke and Rim, Inc. or The Wheel Master to see if they could provide you with the proper length spokes.

One other thought about your project. The idea of using radially laced spokes on a rear wheel of a motorized bicycle in my opinion is a very marginal at best.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If the spokes are only 1/4" too long, you can just build the wheel & then grind the tips off the spokes with a grinder!! (so they don't pop the inner tube)
I've done it twice now, it works fine!!

ride65

Jan 9, 2009
connecticut
I am waiting to here form a person who has roller dies for 11 guage spokes for the 150 dollar machine. But have been waiting. Will have to get back to them. the 150 maching is not the best on small spokes but should work ok on heavier spokes. The spoke thread is old honda nipples on there small bikes. Huskie bicycles sells 11 and 12 guage spokes.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
ocscully : I tend to think your right about the radial pt. but is the only one that seem's to work?
the problem is of course that the tire hits the stay when the wheel is laced w/a2or3 cross pattern.
as for grinding the spokes (vmb) got that covered it's a thread legnth issue. can get the nipples down far enough to begin truing?
thanks for the links i"ll check with them , and if anybody finds a good machine for under $200 let me know.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
only took five days but the wheel is on the truing stand! turns out that the three cross pattern w/o the last cross being"laced" did the trick... thanks for all the advice(u know who u are)
anybody that has never built a wheel should give it a try it's a true test of ur skills and in the end was kinda fun