what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
That's Beautiful!
I see a Harley style saddle with pillion.
A little sissy bar.
And probably just enough room under the pilion seat for a nice alloy 'battery/tool box'.
A Stingray seat would be a cheap option.
I love it.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Nice to have those old project leftovers laying around.
Watch the ally doesn't get all galvanic and chew up the ?steel stand-bracket and spring. Grease should help.
Yeah, I've got enough old stuff to last my lifetime. Not a crazy, hoarder amount, but about 6 complete bikes worth. Gonna have 2 motored bikes so I can stay lazy while one is getting worked on. I have a super-clean no-motor bike. A beater no-motor for exploring wilderness. And a couple more for spare parts.

Aluminum and steel together can be a problem. I just finally got a frozen Al gooseneck (stem) out of the forks from an old curbside find. After I fix up a bike, it won't be a problem because I'm fanatical about cleaning them. They're garaged in the riding season and kept in the basement in winter. I'll still take precautions to make sure the aluminum reactivity doesn't cause a problem.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Thanks a lot Intrepid Wheelwoman. It's our second kid actually, which is why this build has taken so long!!
Thanks again. Kia Ora.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Well I haven't had a lot of free time lately and today I played hooky from the shop. The weather was so nice (hit 40 degrees) I thought Id take one of my new to me bikes for a ride, I grabbed the GT Chucker and went for a spin. The roads still had quite a bit of slush on them so we both got a little dirty lol.

Later in the day the roads started drying up pretty good so I grabbed the Felt and went for another spin. In retrospect it wasn't the best idea as I haven't ridden in four months and Im pretty dang sore plus I have a gig tomorrow, oh well it was worth it. Really liking both the new rides each offering a completely different riding experience.

Heres to warmer weather drn2:ride:

Dan.

Last edited:

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Very sharp looking ride, Cruise.
I would never consider a white paint job, but it sure works on your bike with the black rims and parts. Also very fine-looking is that summer weather in the background.

The aluminum kickstand is mostly finished. I made the "foot" end about a half-inch longer than stock. After the bike is painted and assembled, I'm going to hammer the foot to flatten and widen it a bit. Until it's assembled, you can't be sure of the angle it meets the ground.

The kickstand snaps up nice and tight, no drooping. If you have a drooping k-stand on an old Schwinn 10-speed, the problem is always wearing of the pin on the end that rides on the "cam". It's just 3/16 inch round rod - easy to make a replacement. I wouldn't use anything too hard like the shank of a broken drill bit. You want the pin to wear out, not the cam.

The frame is about all stripped; will start painting tomorrow. I wish I could do most of that outside. I'm going to rig up a ventilation system in the basement for the rattle-can adventure.

Attachments

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Finished stripping frame. Made a makeshift paint booth in the basement. Used dropcloths for floor and walls and piped into the Maytag clothes dryer for a nifty ventilation system. Got down the first primer coat.

I took pics, but it's too late to mess with them now. All further posts on this project are going in the paint forum.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
While I like the idea of warm forced air ventilation to help the paint cure, won't the Maytag provide linty air?
If you have a fine enough screen it won't be a problem.. we used to have an 'indoor vent kit' on a dryer in one place.. the only way to screen out the ultra-fine lint was with a stocking/pantyhose leg stretched over the vent. The weave is fine enough to catch almost everything. (Sourcing material is easier if you have a wife/gf... they almost always have a ruined pair).

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
While I like the idea of warm forced air ventilation to help the paint cure, won't the Maytag provide linty air?

No. The dryer blower usually draws air from the drum and blows it outside. The air passes over the heating element, goes through the drum and clothes, then through the blower and out the vent to the outside.

Now it's drawing air from my paint booth and blowing it out the vent. The drum is removed and the heater is not involved. I was going to use an electric leaf blower and exhaust the air out the dryer vent. But that leaf blower is very loud. About 6 months ago I did some maintenance on the dryer and learned that it is very easy (about 10 minutes) to take off the front and pull the drum. So that seemed to be a better ventilation solution.It seems to be providing just about the right amount of suction to get rid of the fumes and overspray.

After the paint is good and dry to the touch - couple hours - I use a little ceramic space heater to help cure faster/better.

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Today I broke my chain >_<

Shifted gears under too much power, chain goes *POP!* engine revved and I knew immediately. Fortunately I wasn't too far from home and there was a bike store still open...

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Here's pics of the dryer rigged for ventilation. Since I took them I might as well post them.

And there's one of the frame - totally bare metal. Looked pretty cool like that; shiny! Now its sprayed gold. Looks good like that too. But the gold paint is just an undercoat for my Krylon X-Metals red (basically a candy-apple paint).

Attachments

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Impressive spray booth setup!
I had plans to use the back shed of an empty house near me but some inconsiderate people started renting it!
I had to walk my parts 30 metres up the street and spray them in a dirt patch away from cars and houses etc. I'm sure I had some eyes looking over fences thinking I was graffiti-ing. I like your setup much better.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Here's pics of the dryer rigged for ventilation. Since I took them I might as well post them.

And there's one of the frame - totally bare metal. Looked pretty cool like that; shiny! Now its sprayed gold. Looks good like that too. But the gold paint is just an undercoat for my Krylon X-Metals red (basically a candy-apple paint).
Very clever solution, I wish I could pull something like that together here.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
That's not in your house is it?
My missus would have a fit!
Well done, a mate and I have been meaning to knock up something like that for years, but I'd not want to pull it down again, so need to find a permanent space. Was starting to think about using a Market Gazebo,

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Took it for a ride down along the beach esplanade for about a 20km round trip. Had no reason to ride it, apart from the ride itself. It was 33'c. Nice.