Kick Start

GoldenMotor.com

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
Hey all,

Ive heard little bits about kick starts for these engines. Ive got an 80cc motor I bought from BoyGoFast on Ebay and I was hoping somebody might know where I can get a kick starter that would be compatable.

Thanks for any input yall might be able to offer!

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I've heard taco saying he kicks his and AZbill too.

They mean Pick up the back of the bike and kick start it with the Peddle.
Got to try it myself.
Soo much snow and ice i had a bad time starting mine today.
:-||

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Mines too heavy to pick up, i just use my pullstart,you can get one for $20 at zoombicycles,but you have to have a wide peddal kit or short peddal crank arms.

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i used to kickstart it in the summer when it would fire up on the first or second kick, now its really cold and i gotta bump start everytime. i wish there was a proper kickstart kit like the pullstart, its really tiring to use the pedals to kickstart,

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I tried and i can't get the slant to budge even slightly.
But i only weigh about 160 lbs.
I'll have to see if there is a way i could engineer a real kick start.
That would be sweet.

Don't know if i would be able to use a pull start.
This puppy has some compression.

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
Stupid of me not to realize the pedals are kickstarters when the reartire is lifted...

This brings to mind the flipdown kickstands (that are more like retractable bike stands) that some lowriders use. Im sure these are too flimsy to supports someone trying to start by pedal, but a determined fabricator with a welder and some scrap stock.... hmmm.

I think im going to try a pullstart for now. I tried zoombicycles.com and gasbikeshop.com and both were out of stock. Anyone have any other recommendations on where to look?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've tried the pedal "kickstart" trick a coupla times and I tell ya what - my schwinn is havin' none of it lol Warm or cold, there's way too much compression with my engine for that action I tell ya :p

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
What I did was buy one of those "alloy center stands" from a bike shop it was so cheap the legs kept bending every time I used it and starting on the stand forget it so I went to Industrial metal supply and for a mer $2.00 I bought a piece of tubing and whipped out my sawzall,acedeling torch,bench vice and wipped a steel copy of the stand now I can start it on the stand , the only thing that bugs me is I have to pushdown on the bars to make the rear wheel come off the ground o well we all do what we can Bob

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Probably the best option is to build a nice stand.
My problem is i have the quick release skewer on the rear wheel.
Otherwise i'd have the guys at work fab me a stand from steel plate that the rear axel can sit in.
I can't use a centerstand cause i have a bracket for my expansion chamber there.

Wonder if i can go off the back of the frame.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't try the kick start thing with an aluminum center stand. I broke one of mine doing that and bent the kickstand mount even though I had reinforced it with another layer of steel. After that I went back to pedal bump start or using my work/test stand if I want to run the engine.

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
Ive got little 20" wheels and a 4" crank so pedal bump starting is a real issue for me. The only way I can consistently start my motor is by putting it up on a bike stand and kicking it over a bunch of times to warm it up...

I want to try a pull start. Anybody know a good place to get one?

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Man that sounds rough.
It would be nice to throw a jackshaft / Tensioner type a thing in the mix with some kinda electric start.

I don't really know a good answer to this one.
I put my bike in the lowest gear go as fast as i can and let the clutch out. Then i still gotta peddle through to get it to turn over. I'm glad it fires right up. Otherwise i'd be in for a real workout.

gian

Jun 30, 2009
vancouver
i've tried to kickstart my pedal but it was really hard and the bike was quite heavy, i actually broke my cassette ,when i pedal it forward or backward the rearwheel doesnt turns anymore so i replaced it .will not do that kick start again i'm scared to break my cog, cassette, now im always using my pullstart just one pull and it'll start.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Seems that a kick start could be made using the pull start. Perhaps by having the pull cable exit on the bottom.