hooking up new generator coil

GoldenMotor.com

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
[I have a coil that was originally made for a Morini motor. I assume it was designed for the one with the c shapEd stator.
the wire is basically wound around a square plastic structure. there are 2 wires coming off of it. 1 is contiguous with the coil and the other doesn't seem to be connected to anything.
I have a picture of how i think itshould go
Isv there any reason why this shouldnt work?
Also i assume the coil should be electrically isolated from the engine body {and therefore the billet} but what about that other wire????
Thanks

Attachments

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
It would help to tell us what engine you plan to install it from. If its a china girl (49cc or 66cc 2 stroke engine kit), the coil does ground to the engine, and the engine grounds to the frame.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
A stator coil produces AC, not DC so there is no positive & negative, it has an active & neutral, where neutral would be the 1 that connects to the C shaped core. I noticed there r 2 coils mounted on the core. U'll need 2 position the coil in the same place the origonal would b, as the position of the coil in relation to magnet rotation defines spark timing on a 2 wire CDI system. Cheers

Last edited:

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
Thank you
I was going to be positioning this IN ADDITION to the other coils.
My thought was to place it mid-way between them....90 degrees from each....
The new coil would be providing a dedicated hot wire for lights whereas the existing coils would remain untouched and power the ignition
Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
it should be ok in that it'll produce current, tho there's a couple of things 2 b aware of. 1, the winding should be in the same direction as the other 2 in relation 2 the core, & 2, it should have a lot less number of turns & of thicker wire than the others, to give u a lot lower voltage at a higher current. Cheers

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
it should be ok in that it'll produce current, tho there's a couple of things 2 b aware of. 1, the winding should be in the same direction as the other 2 in relation 2 the core, & 2, it should have a lot less number of turns & of thicker wire than the others, to give u a lot lower voltage at a higher current. Cheers
So why do you say it needs two sets of windings? He has a coil already meant for the spark plug that is completely independent of this thing in place and working fine.... Anyway one set of windings is all that needs to be for currant to a light bulb etc.. I was staring at the size in general to this thing and two set of windings would not make any sense to me.

I think it may be to small to produce any currant as is ? I surly would not be of girth to support to sets of windings. The amount of wire needed in this amount of small space cannot support two sets of winding IMO..

Do you know how many of these old mopeds still in existence had a coil for spark completely independent of the accessory coil?

Last edited:

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
I dont say it needs an extra coil. In 1st post I pointed out a cil roduces AC, not DC current, ' in 2nd post I said it can produce a current, but my point is if the coil aint designed as a lighting coil, its current output probly aint gunna b suitable for lighting. Cheers,

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
the winding should be in the same direction as the other 2:confused::p

Cheers...

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
now read the very last line of the post bf the 1 u quoted me from. BTW, a CDI charge stator coil puts out a couple hundred volts to the CDI. Any accessories r powered by another winding on the same core, whether in series with or parralell with the CDI charge coil, its still another winding. C threads on winding China stator coils. All dirt bikes except those with battery DC fired CDI's r the same, even tho the stators r a different design with muliple windings. Cheers

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
just to clear things up:
this coil design has been tested. it DOES produce 12v from the morini as it sits now.
i know NOTHING about windings, etc. all i know is that it works